Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all.

I had an accident in my 07 Titan last night. On my way home from a social meeting, a trip of 1 hour and 15 minutes, I fell asleep while driving about two miles from my home.

I woke up just in time to see a mailbox in my immediate path. I swerved to my left, but still hit the mailbox and a small imbedded pole, after which I re-entered the roadway sideways and rolled over 5 times, ending up in a ditch resting on the drivers side. I am guessing my speed was about 50-60 mph.

I never lost conscienceness but of course was stunned. I freed myself from the seatbelt and turned off the motor since I had a full tank of gas. My back window had popped out and a pedestrian was trying to get me out of there thru the window when the fire department arrived. The driver, passenger and front windshield were all intact. At first the fire department was going to smash thru the front windshield, but decided instead to "give me a convertible" by cutting a large hole in the roof.

They slid in a backboard thru the hole and got me on it for the ride to the hospital.

The good news, nothing broken, small scrape on top of head, bruise on neck from seatbelt and really, really sore on my back, left side and left front. It hurts to breathe deep, cough or laugh, so no jokes please!

As you can guess, truck is probably totaled. I am going to check it out tomorrow and retrieve personal belongings.

DON'T let any tree huggers tell you that big vehicles are not safe!!! I am convinced and here to tell about it.

Thanks for listening,
John

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Glad you survived to tell us how safe these trucks really are..

Best of luck with your recovery...

Saw some pictures a while back of a head-on in a Titan and it really is an awesome capsule to be in if you are involved in a bad wreck...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad you are safe!! The seatbelt you were wearing probably saved your life even though you are a little sore. My son was in an accident very similar this past June and the car he was riding in flipped end over end. Both he and the driver had their seatbelts on and walked away from the wreck. He had some stitches on his head from where the seatbelt attaches to the pillar and some bruises but that was it. Sorry to hear about the truck. Hope your insurance covers it and doesn't drop you as a customer.

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
Dude that sucks!

Very glad you are okay! best of luck,.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a seen a few threads here that have shown that the Titan is a very safe vehicle in a crash. It makes me feel much safer driving one. I am glad you are ok. To roll 5 times and post about it on the internet the following day is amazing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and the strangest part is that the airbags did not deploy. I guess I hit the mailbox in the wrong place and rolling sideways did not set it off either.

·
Registered
392 Posts
John, Glad to hear you're ok. Best of luck on your truck.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
glad your ok. btw if the fire department made a "convertible" out of your titan its totaled...

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident. Nice to see you are well enough to post here so soon. Hopefully your insurance covers the complete cost of a replacement Titan.

Clint

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Yes glad you came out ok in a roll over. I bet you where wide awake after that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Glad you're ok. I hate tree huggers anyhow! Bunch on whinny crybabies who think the planet is dying! Morons.
Hey I am a tree hugger. I hug the tree as I climb up to cut the focker down in small sections. I torture the tree 24 inches at a time. LOL

Glad your OK Bigcity. It's good to see our trucks hold up in a major accident.
I once fell asleep behind the wheel of a Honda Civic, I crossed oncoming traffic and took out a tele pole's guide wire and after the guide wire I hit a big a$$ Tree that did not move. Broken ankle, bashed up face, totaled car and a new outlook on life. Now if I start getting tired and I am driving I pull over and do some Jumping jacks to get the blood pumping faster, It works for me.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Happy to hear that you are OK Bigcity!! - I think the airbag sensor's are a few inches in from the front corner(s) of the truck so the mailbox didn't create enough G-force to set them off and you are proof that they wouldn't have helped in the rollover. if you had the head/curtain airbag those should have gone off -- Aren't they an option on the titan?? did you have them? Do you have pics of the truck??

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
As above stated... glad you are ok. Sorry about your truck though. I almost guarantee that it is totaled. Your frame is probabally twisted to heck not to mention that the whole body is damaged.

As for the airbag not going off that happens. If you don't hit something just right it won't go off. A mailbox is small and unless you pushed the front bumper in from the impact it probabally didn't even have enough force to activate the sensor.

Our trucks are very solid good thing about large vehicles is that they have alot of metal around them. That is what saved you, that and the seatbelt. I have seen many crazy things in my 17 years in the fire service, but main thing is seatbelts do save lives and lots of extra metal helps considerably too.

2 miles from home huh... it happens every day. Glad you are alive to talk about it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out without major injuries, wish I could say the same for the truck. I bet you wished they had broke the windshield instead of peeling back your roof.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear you are safe and Titan lived up to its crash rating. Sleep, or lack of, is a killer, far worse then drunk driving... too bad it gets so little press in comparison.

It is unfortunate such a well designed and well made vehicle attracts so many assholes and rednecks.

I am a "tree-hugger". I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, and do what I can to protect it for my children. I don't agree with the greenhouse gas theory, but that doesn't mean I have any tolerance for idiots who brag about destroying our natural habitat.

Driving a Titan does not mandate you be illiterate, or ignorant. There are lot of people on this forum that should really be driving Rams. Titan is too civilized a truck for them.

Get well! And enjoy the new Titan you are going to buy :) The 2008 Pro4X w/ Option Pack is the best Titan ever made imho, perhaps now you can get one!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
He also proved the known fact that accidents do occur within close proximity to our home. I resent the comment you made Seanhig, I'm not an asshole and definately not a redneck:flame:. I'm dissappointed that someone like you would made such a cruel statement.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
seanhig said:
Glad to hear you are safe and Titan lived up to its crash rating. Sleep, or lack of, is a killer, far worse then drunk driving... too bad it gets so little press in comparison.

It is unfortunate such a well designed and well made vehicle attracts so many assholes and rednecks.

I am a "tree-hugger". I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, and do what I can to protect it for my children. I don't agree with the greenhouse gas theory, but that doesn't mean I have any tolerance for idiots who brag about destroying our natural habitat.

Driving a Titan does not mandate you be illiterate, or ignorant. There are lot of people on this forum that should really be driving Rams. Titan is too civilized a truck for them.

Get well! And enjoy the new Titan you are going to buy :) The 2008 Pro4X w/ Option Pack is the best Titan ever made imho, perhaps now you can get one!
Quite the little 'tude you got there..... Easy to namecall over the internet. I must say, I don't consider myself either of those, but I still own a Titan. I also like NASCAR. But I can also discuss the theory of relativity or world politics. We don't all live in a trailer. You may want to lighten up a bit about profiling Titan owners.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts