Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Nissan has sold 14,207 TITANS in 2004. This seems low, anyone have any thoughts on what they are planning to sell 100,000 per year? At the current rate, they will sell slightly more than half their intended number. I really thought by now the numbers would have picked up significantly, all anyone has to do is take a test drive to be convinced.

Deepwater, Graphite
SE King Cab 4x4
Rockford with Captains Chair
Added: Fog Lights, Bed Cover, Tinted Windows, Hitch
BORN ON 1-12-04

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here are the monthly numbers, the increasing numbers are a good sign as spring fever hits. I think as more and more appear on the road it will enter the public mind that Nissan makes a full size truck. I think by year end your straight line projection will fall short.
We could help, get together in regional "packs" and cruise the highways showing off. :jester:

2,072 (Dec)
4,035 (Jan)
4,640 (Feb) < 15 percent increase over previous month
5,532 (Mar) < 19+ percent increase over previous month

KYDeepwater said:
Looks like Nissan has sold 14,207 TITANS in 2004. This seems low, anyone have any thoughts on what they are planning to sell 100,000 per year? At the current rate, they will sell slightly more than half their intended number. I really thought by now the numbers would have picked up significantly, all anyone has to do is take a test drive to be convinced.

·
Registered
548 Posts
complaints with hardbody

geece1 said:
Here are the monthly numbers, the increasing numbers are a good sign as spring fever hits. I think as more and more appear on the road it will enter the public mind that Nissan makes a full size truck. I think by year end your straight line projection will fall short.
We could help, get together in regional "packs" and cruise the highways showing off. :jester:

2,072 (Dec)
4,035 (Jan)
4,640 (Feb) < 15 percent increase over previous month
5,532 (Mar) < 19+ percent increase over previous month
gas mpg is poor 18/22 and the sheet metal was paper thin, someone could fart and it would almost put a dent in the side of mine it seemed like, also, on cold rainy days, i could NOT keep it from getting fogged up, all hardbodies were like this?
poor ventialtion or ? but i loved the reliabilty of the trucks. i had a 1995 king cab xe-v6 5-spd. and it NEVER went back to the shop in over 8 years.
I bought it on 09/08/95 and it had 6 miles on it. I sold it on 01/24/04 and it had 164,184 miles on it. INCREDIBLE!!! best vehicle i've ever owned w/o a doubt.
I sold it over 2 months ago and now have a 2003 monte carlo pace car custom. 6,411 miles. already been back to the shop for decals, and minor stuff, etc.
I wished i never saw this chevy and got that titan i ordered instead what a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!
should have stuck with nissan as they never let me down not once!!!!!!!!!!!
THE WORD IS AWESOME!!!!
QUALITY IS DEF JOB # 1.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I couple of things could factor into this,
one the gas prices are not helping
two since the release of the Titan I have only seen limited advertisment. When I tell people that I am getting a Titan usually thier first reaction is. :huh:
Three-Ford release their new F-150 before the Titan and all the Ford mongers went out and bought it.

Also if you add those increases you have 34% increase since the begining of the year. :cheers:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Keep in mind production

Geece's point about increasing each month is very valid. Also keep in mind that the production capacity has been increasing as each month passes. It takes quite a while to get the proper inventory on dealers lots and to get the wrinkles out of their production. As long as those numbers keep increasing, Nissan will be very happy. I think that when they hit 9000 or so a month, they will be even happier.

Remember, Nissan hasn't put any incentives on the Titan, while even Ford with it's new F-150 have. So that market has even got more competiitive since the Titan was introduced.

Many people have said that the new F-150 has been very successful based on the numbers for this year over last; but that isn't the whole story. Compare 2004 sales to 2002 sales and they are flat. Even better, compare 2004 sales of the F-150 to 2001 and they are down. One analyst said that the Titan was going to cost Ford close to 1 billion $s, not because they were going to take away that much market share, but because they were going to force Ford to offer rebates or lower their price by an average of $1000 per truck. That was before, and now Ford is offering rebates of more than $1000 per truck on the F-150. How right he was!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
my $0.02....I was a little worried about getting the 1st year model, also, as I drive around and notice Ford and Chevy Drivers looking at me, it seems they look with disgust (obviously jealousy) because they dont like what they dont know. At this point the Nissan is the Bastard child of the full-size truck market even after all the rave reviews. People think that their big 3 trucks are US made and with all this recent haulering about jobs going overseas, etc., I think people are still thinking that buying the Ford, Chevy and Dodge is helping our economy....There is a "Stigma" about owning a Nissan or Toyota that current Ford, Chevy and Dodge owners wont change. I remember when the T100 came out...i dont know if it was because of the "mid-size" look, but I thought..."what a small piece of $hi#" around that time I was driving my Dodge Cummins Diesel 3/4 ton (piece of $hi# by the way). If Nissan can keep coming with quality service and stand behind their products for another year, I think you will see people start to turn the corner.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ACTUALLY i think it makes mercedes...chrysler

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
keane said:
Geece's point about increasing each month is very valid. Also keep in mind that the production capacity has been increasing as each month passes. It takes quite a while to get the proper inventory on dealers lots and to get the wrinkles out of their production. As long as those numbers keep increasing, Nissan will be very happy. I think that when they hit 9000 or so a month, they will be even happier.
Also, don't people buy more vehicles later in the year after the weather warms up and they get their tax refunds?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not to mention I heard that Dodge was going to outsource it chasis mfd to China. How about that for made in America.

The crazy part is that the Titan was designed, and built in the U.S. how about that for jobs and made in America.

*Shakes Fist at all doubters of the TITAN. :gunz:

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Cienfuegos said:
Not to mention I heard that Dodge was going to outsource it chasis mfd to China. How about that for made in America.
I was just looking at some bids for structural steel for a construction project and noticed that steel prices were going through the roof. On inquiry, I was told that China is buying alot of scrap, which is driving steel prices way up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Deepwater, It does appear that way on the surface but once you take apart the monthly sales that Geece presented month/month sales increase presents itself. Total sales for March are almost three times higher than Dec. @ this rate will June be three times higher than March? I imagine average seasonal low’s are Oct-March but I don’t know.
Heck I thought they hit the ball out of the park with this truck & believed this products advantages to current similar competition would have been evident to even the less informed shopper. Perhaps I over estimated my fellow Truck buyers? Still I think Nissan will hit sales projections & I presume real sales come from product familiarity and the tangible presentation. Tend to think that the early purchasers of the Titan are either happy prior Nissan owners or just a bit more objective & realize a good value without the need of other’s influence or conformation.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
jd1973 said:
As far as I remember, Chrysler is owned by Mercedes. Doesn't that make all Chryslers foreign too??
haha. Daimler Chrysler Benz. Ze Germans are "controlled" by Chrysler, still independently manufactured, assembled in Germany and shipped here. Some assembled here, but diff (the ML 350s mostly, btw they are the most unreliable of all Mbzs). story. Chrysler is not owned by anyone except rising oil prices, if you know what I mean. Remember that story in your paper's business section a few years back describing how Daimer (sp?) Chrysler purchased MErcedes Benz? Also, look on all the front wind shields of '01 or newer Mbzs and you will see the "Daimler Chrysler Product" logo, I think on the passenger side.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gas MPG affecting sales?

I don't know that I agree that gas mileage is what is hurting the sales of the Titan. When I was out shopping for my truck, I was looking at the Dodges, Fords, and Chevys all of which had similar gas mpg ratings on their stickers. If it is about poor mpg ratings, then all truck sales should be in a slump right now - and maybe that is the case. Basically I believe it's the fact that Nissan is entering new territory that has been occupied by the "Big 3" for quite some time and owners loyal to their truck brand aren't going to necessarily jump ship overnight.

This is the first new truck I've purchased since 1996, which was a Chevy S-10. Talk about the biggest POS I have ever owned. Granted it was a beautiful truck but it stayed at the dealer more than it did in my driveway! This was the 3rd model year for that truck so most bugs should have been worked out by then. Most every problem that has been posted on this forum IMHO has been somewhat minor. Annoying all the same! I've read similar things on the Nissan 350Z forums when they were first introduced. Every new vehicle I've ever owned has had some sort for a problem. It hasn't mattered what brand - Chevy, Ford, Audi, BMW - each has had some silly thing go wrong and none of them were first model year vehicles either!

I truly believe Nissan has made a galiant effort in putting together a truck that should appeal to the masses. Given time we should start to see more & more of these trucks on the road. I have had many folks ask me about my truck, compliment the truck, and even overheard people making positive comments about the truck. The latter being a lady walking out of a convenience store with her kids and the first thing out of her mouth was "that is a good looking truck right there". I just happened to be parked a the front door beside her Jeep Grand Cherokee - with my windows up and she not realizing I could hear her. It made my day!

I agree that it would help if Nissan would advertise more but it appears they are using the same strategy they used with the Z car however the Titan does not have the legacy of the Z sports car. Only time will tell.

:cheers:

·
Banned
81 Posts
Could Nissan be throwing in the towel in an attempt to be bought out by Ford, at which point they will reject Ford's bid and be bought out by Toyota instead, leading Ford into bankruptcy and making the newly created "Toyossan" the most dominant automaker in the world?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It will pick up

Hey All,

I think there are several things at play here. 1st is limited availability. I was the first in the area here to purchase a titan and I bought mine less than a month ago. the dealers couldnt get them. Second truck buyers are very loyal, I think that Nissan is really turning heads to make this much segway into the market. As people see more of them and realize the the truck is made to be driven places other that to and from the shop :jester: they will really start to pick up there sales numbers.

thanks

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
it just shows how many people are idiots(04F150 owners) and how many people actually have a brain(titan owners).

Let me just add that my titan gets looks ALL the time. me blowing away almost every domestic truck i've had the good fortune of blowing away makes them that much more bitter which is alright by me. Hey if you want to be ignorant and miss out on an opportunity to own quite frankly the best truck i've ever driven, then to hell with you. enjoy your POS domestic and i'll continue to cruise on... bye the way!!! Yesterday saw three trucks broken down along the side of the highway, you'll never guess as well as never believe... a chevy S10 (honestly now a serious hunk of shee-it), a ford F150 (i've heard miracle stories and horror stories), and last but not least a Dodge Dakota (well now dodge is going to be dodge, although it they may be improving) but come on now, what are the chances of seeing the big 3's trucks, yeah maybe trucks of old, broken down on the side of the highway all within the same day. i'm thinking of buying an old hardbody as my daily driver, i'm thinking maybe the 1st year model, with hundreds of thousands of miles, maybe i can find one for cheap, then use it as my example of how well Nissan Lasts. hehe

·
Registered
105 Posts
discovery channel report: Just watched a Discovery Channel report on Cars and one of the highlites was 1/2 ton trucks....this report showed the process of designing the Titan....the process this woman and her design team took by driving other trucks, talking to truck enthusiasts and doing what the other manufacturers have not done shows real insight into their superior efforts to giving people what they want....It also shows how 85% of the TITAN is American Made where the F150 is closer to 35% with their factories in Mexico. It was cool to see how the FORD HEAD-DESIGN GUY stated that he felt the TITAN was too JAPANESE looking to really make a dent in the 1/2 truck market, especially the midwest which is Ford biggest market. That seems strange considering the amount of pick-ups I see being driven at each coast. I live in California, and I see more pick-ups than cars around here. They also highlited the H2 and how people that buy this vehicle are the kind of people that say "i dont care about fuel efficiency and the environment, I want to spend my money how I want". Thats a shame.....and actually the more I see these useless pieces of c%$p, the more I wonder why people even consider buying these....in fact, I think the way society is going now, people are kind of sick of people that drive a useless vehicle like the H2....let alone the fact that it is a piece of $&it...part 1/2 ton chevy, part 3/4 ton chevy pick-up with no cargo room and too much passenger room and not one good reliability report, whats more, these are used around here as grocery getters and soccer transports.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts