Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have been lurking while searching for a good deal on a Titan. Well I put down a deposit on an 06 Crewcab LE and hopefully will be able to pick it up tomorrow. I have a few quick questions if someone can help me out. The truck is pretty clean and runs great, but this is through a private seller so I just want to check on a few things.

1.) It has 80k miles and the owner has used Dino oil its entire life so far, I plan on keeping it 150k+ and will switch it to synthetic, Im just wondering how these engines handle dino oil and are there any downsides to switching over at this part of its life?

2.) Seller has said that all Recalls have been taken care of and that the dealer replaced the entire rear axle under warranty for some reason. I did check the transfer case just to make sure it was the redesigned one. Just wondering what that may have been and whether I should look into it more?

3.) Seller says its an LE, but is there anyway to tell for sure? It has cloth seats and doesn't have any of the fancy electronics that I thought were standard based on edmunds and cars.com.

Any answers would be appreciated and I look forward to joining the Titan community.

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
Switch it to a synthetic and see if it burns any oil when you do. If not, keep running it. If it does, go to a blend or back to dino.

Couple of reasons the rear axle might have been replaced: Axle seals and/or spider gears. Both known problem spots.

Most of the LE trucks in that year did come with leather. If it's got factory wheels, they should be 6 spoke. 5 spokes belong to the SE models, and steelies belong to the XEs. If it's got an emblem on the rear tailgate that just says "5.6", it's an XE. If it's still badged on the tailgate it should say "5.6 LE".

Pics or a link would help us. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, It has the 6 spoke wheels and I don't remember what the badges say. Also it has the No Fear Trim package. Just the trim though and not suspension.

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
Why doesn't it have the suspension? The no fear package came with wheels, too. Not the 6 spokes. Sounds a bit...fishy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why doesn't it have the suspension? The no fear package came with wheels, too. Not the 6 spokes. Sounds a bit...fishy.
Eh not sure, its not 4x4 either, it just has the No Fear Trim, grill, guages, pedals, floormats. He's the second owner and the first owner was a salesman at the Nissan dealership, so possibly he ordered some special stuff? Here are the pics I was sent.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm thinking these questions should have been asked before the deposit was put on it. Even the pics seem odd, different sizes and taken on different days.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking these questions should have been asked before the deposit was put on it. Even the pics seem odd, different sizes and taken on different days.
Two are from craigslist and two were texted to me. The truck is in great shape, I saw it in person and drove it today so.....

·
Premium Member
72,548 Posts
It looks nice. I think it has a bunch of aftermarket stuff put on it...

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
It's a mutt, so I can't tell for sure what model it is, but I think it's an XE.

The wheels aren't even from an '06, they're from an '08+. The mirrors are big tow with no chrome caps and even most of the SE models had chrome mirror caps and I'm pretty sure all the LE models did.

It's been de-badged and re-badged. I think the No Fear package logo on the side was above the usual "V8 TITAN" badges.

It doesn't appear to have power pedals, another thing I'm almost positive all LEs came with, and most SEs.

Reactions: 4mula1fan

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
But it's got a chrome front bumper, which is not what the XE models came with. Heck, it might be an SE.

·
Premium Member
72,548 Posts
....or a rebuilt crash victim....

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
And chrome door handles, but no chrome caps. Mirrors could have been swapped from non BT to BT. Or the handles swapped.

It's a mutt.

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
Chrome rear bumper, too. So at least the bumpers are consistent with either an SE or an LE.

Doesn't appear to have sonar, which would be more like an SE, not an LE.

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts
Through a dealer, sure.

·
Premium Member
72,548 Posts
Carfax is a good start.

·
Super Moderator
161,971 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
It looks like an XE with some stuff from the parts dept at nissan . The rear bumper is only 300 for the chrome I did that to my old Titan. Looks pretty nice ,but I would really make sure it hasn't been wrecked. I would also find some stock tail lights.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts