Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've towed some seriously heavy loads with my Titan, but a few weeks ago I really pushed it and it shined. I went to get some landscaping rocks and the "road" down into the gulley where some big ones were was about 15% grade. We loaded approx 8,000-10,000 lbs onto the trailer (which itself weighs about 3,000 lbs). My brother was drivin the Titan and put it in 4 low and it climbed out no problem. Then it was about a 35 minute drive back to my house, with some decent hills on the way. What's funny is that the F-SuperDuty I had borrowed to pull the skidsteer had a hard time staying above 55 mph on the hills, where my brother said the Titan was cruising fine in OD keeping 65 mph. We hauled 2 loads of rocks each in the range of 11,000-13,000 lbs (including trailer) with no problem. Afterwards I was pretty impressed that the Titan out towd that 98 Super Duty with the 7.3L diesel.

The gulley we pulled the rocks out of on the first trip:


The 1st load of rocks:


Another angle (with SuperDuty and skidsteer in the background):



- Nealio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,510 Posts
I too have towed some very heavy loads with no problems pulling it. The power is deffinatly there. But its the stopping power that it lacks severly with that kind of weight. If you out towed that diesel he has some serious issues with that piece of crap power stroke. Witht those rocks it looks more like about 3500 to 4000 lbs in rock. I have done alot of rock hauling. That looks more like around 7000 loaded to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
Helinut1970 said:
I too have towed some very heavy loads with no problems pulling it. The power is deffinatly there. But its the stopping power that it lacks severly with that kind of weight. If you out towed that diesel he has some serious issues with that piece of crap power stroke. Witht those rocks it looks more like about 3500 to 4000 lbs in rock. I have done alot of rock hauling. That looks more like around 7000 loaded to me.
x2. I estimated 4000-4500lb in rock. Nowhere close to 10k in rock there.

That skid steer weighs 7,000lb and its trailer is around 3,300lb, so he's hauling a tad over 10,000lb for your 5,500-6,000lb (Your trailer is closer to 2,000).

Easy to see why there was a bit of a difference in towing performance. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
im not smart nor do i want to bash him, but i dont think it was 10k in rocks either. but congrats on getting outa that huge ditch lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
What are doing towing in that much in OD?

Impressive nevertheless...way to push the beast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my brother (6 foot tall, 230 lbs) and I (6'3" 250 lbs) couldn't move the smallest rock on that trailer by hand. Also I had a rock the size of the 2 big ones combined and the skidsteer would not pick it up (it lifted the rear tires). The tipping weight on that model is 4400 lbs and my brother and I were hanging off the back for more ballast and we couldn't even get it to teeter on the front wheels. Thats' where i got my estimate.
I also thought that the rocks weren't that heavy, but after trying to move them to get the forks of the skidsteer under them I changed my mind.
Also when I returned the skidsteer I hooked it up to the Titan because my buddy needed his truck back and the Titan seemed to accelerate and stop better than the F-SuperHooptie. The SuperHooptie has 150K miles on it.
I'm not trying to be biased, honestly. I thought the SuperDuty would leave my truck in the dust, but the opposite was the case. I don't know if the older SuperDuties weren't that powerful or what.
- Nealio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Good for you Nealio. Please tell me your making a trials bike practice area!

Loosenut (AKA Baxter fron RMD)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yahooligan said:
x2. I estimated 4000-4500lb in rock. Nowhere close to 10k in rock there.

That skid steer weighs 7,000lb and its trailer is around 3,300lb, so he's hauling a tad over 10,000lb for your 5,500-6,000lb (Your trailer is closer to 2,000).

Easy to see why there was a bit of a difference in towing performance. ;)
BTW My dad's trailer is right around 3K lbs. He's weighed it. It used to be a backhoe trailer. Besides looking at the picture, I don't see why you would think it weighs 1300 less. They are both of similar design and materials. Unless you think my dad's trailer has lost weight due to rust.. ;)
- Nealio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
loosenut said:
Good for you Nealio. Please tell me your making a trials bike practice area!

Loosenut (AKA Baxter fron RMD)
Hahaha I wish. I'm off the bikes for a while (maybe permanently). I dislocated my knee in a horriffic crash 5 months ago.
- Nealio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
KTMNealio said:
Hahaha I wish. I'm off the bikes for a while (maybe permanently). I dislocated my knee in a horriffic crash 5 months ago.
- Nealio
Sorry about the knee. I shattered my right Tibia Plateau 6 months ago and I'm still on crutches. That was before I found out the stock front tires on an '07 WR 450 were junk...

What I don't understand is, why are you surprised that your Titan out towed a Super Poopy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Bummer! I'm nursing a sprained wrist right now. BTW, I love my Titan. It's a great bike haulerand apparently a good rock hauler as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
The area in the picture almost looks like South Eastern Idaho.(??)
Anyway, yeah. The Titan is a pullin' fool. I towed my 3,500lb car on a 2,000lb trailer with 400lbs of parts in the car and 1,000 lbs of household goods in the truck(6,900 lbs total haul) from North Carolina to Montana and never had an issue. At times I forgot the trailer was even there. I didn't have any issues stopping since the trailer had surge brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
I just recently went through there on I15 from Vegas. I've been through there about 4 times now and is quite different from anyplace else I've seen, with all the volcanic rock and everything.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top