Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:
I received an un-solicited advertisement for the long bed Frontier in the mail, and decided during lunch to stop by just for giggles. The long bed Frontier does look much nicer than the stubby bed one; it rode well and was fairly quiet. With a 270 HP V-6 and about 1,000 pounds less, it also seemed as quick as the Titan. After the drive, the sales guy asked if he could run some numbers, I said okay because I really didn't want to go right back to work. So, they priced a crew cab long bed SE with tow package, 2 wheel drive, at 21,300 with the rebates. Not too bad. Then, they told me they could give me $12,000 as trade for my Titan; 4x4 SE locking bed cover, PML diff cover 56,000 miles. I laughed at the guy, and then proceeded to berate him about the poor value of the Titan and how it doesn't bode well for his dealership and Nissan in general. He of course offered to "see what he could do" but I just left. Always, ALWAYS, get your keys back as soon as they sit down with you the first time so you can make a quick getaway. So, I guess the Titan has the worst resale of all full size trucks. Does Nissan have any idea how long this type of stigma takes to get away from? I really think they will shoot themselves in the foot in the long run with these low used values. I guess the hassle of trying to sell it privately might actually be worth it.
Oh well, I wasn't really that interested in getting a new truck, so I guess the Titan will be around for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
It's a game they play. It's called schit to gold. It's schit when you own it, but as soon as you trade it in, it's GOLD!!! If you traded it in for $12,000, they would have washed it and wiped armorall on the tires and set it out on the used lot for $19,999. Count on it......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, go price a used Titan. If you find anything less than $16-17k it's probably a baseline XE and/or high miles. A decently equipped rig will run in the $19-20k range pretty easily.

Regardless of the brand you own or the place you go....they always hit you with LOW trade in values. Remember, they don't make money if they give you a fair price so the dealers low ball you. They actually give you "black book/auction" value which is about 75-80% of real trade in value. I guess it's easier to trade, but if you have a decent vehicle and ask a fair price then normally a private party sale is a positive experience for all involved.

I absolutely hate car dealers. I won't trade with them, and I get my financing in place before I go. It takes longer to buy a vehicle, but the power is absolutely priceless and my buying experiences always tend to go my way!

·
Super Moderator
93,628 Posts
It's really difficult to find good quality used Titan's out their period. I looked for a low mileage 05/06 and wasn't able to find one that was that much lower priced than the 07 I ended up purchasing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The trade in value does not suck, the dealer is being a scumbag. If you are serious about trading, print the trade value from NADA and show it to them.

Sounds like the usual game....I bet the dealership could get a "fantastic" interest rate of about 15% too!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
scum bag dealer

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im getting 20k for an 04 LE CC 4wd with dvd, sunroof, big tow, off-road package and only 25k miles. This will equate to 21+ with the tax benefits of trading it in. Edmunds rates the 07 Tundra as having worse depreciation that the Titan. I am happy as I paid 33k for mine and will make about 6k on my truck.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
It's a game they play. It's called schit to gold. It's schit when you own it, but as soon as you trade it in, it's GOLD!!! If you traded it in for $12,000, they would have washed it and wiped armorall on the tires and set it out on the used lot for $19,999. Count on it......
I will have to second that times 2.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ended up getting $18.500 for my 04 of course the started the offer at $16000. Week later I went back and checked their website and wouldn't you know same black 04 SE that I traded in was on the lot for $24000. They had to replace the windshield and fix a small dent in the utility compartment door (overall price of repairs maybe $500) Of course when I told them I had the truck listed on Craigs list for $19700 and had turned away 2 people from looking at it they quit ****ering around pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think you neeed to take out your frustration with the dealer. It's not Nissan's fault the steralership offered you 12k for your trade. You have to go in there knowing what your truck is worth,not what the dealer is going to give you. They always low ball the trade in. That'sa how they make there money. Go back in and tell them you will take X for your truck and will pay X for the Fronty and see what happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I traded in my 03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4 by4 with 63000 miles on it. They originally offered me $12000 by the time I left they were going to give me $14,500. You have to treat them like they treat you. Offer to walk and them tell them what you want for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah this dealership is trying to ---- you hard. Try another dealership or personal sale but regardless if truck is in descent shape no less than 16000.
I bought mine used five months ago for 22000, 05 SE 4x4 with LE equipment the dealership was asking 25300, with 28000 miles.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
:eek:
I received an un-solicited advertisement for the long bed Frontier in the mail, and decided during lunch to stop by just for giggles. The long bed Frontier does look much nicer than the stubby bed one; it rode well and was fairly quiet. With a 270 HP V-6 and about 1,000 pounds less, it also seemed as quick as the Titan. After the drive, the sales guy asked if he could run some numbers, I said okay because I really didn't want to go right back to work. So, they priced a crew cab long bed SE with tow package, 2 wheel drive, at 21,300 with the rebates. Not too bad. Then, they told me they could give me $12,000 as trade for my Titan; 4x4 SE locking bed cover, PML diff cover 56,000 miles. I laughed at the guy, and then proceeded to berate him about the poor value of the Titan and how it doesn't bode well for his dealership and Nissan in general. He of course offered to "see what he could do" but I just left. Always, ALWAYS, get your keys back as soon as they sit down with you the first time so you can make a quick getaway. So, I guess the Titan has the worst resale of all full size trucks. Does Nissan have any idea how long this type of stigma takes to get away from? I really think they will shoot themselves in the foot in the long run with these low used values. I guess the hassle of trying to sell it privately might actually be worth it.
Oh well, I wasn't really that interested in getting a new truck, so I guess the Titan will be around for quite some time.
Any mods you have get you nothing on a trade. You are far above what an 04 should have mileage wise so that probably hurt the value. The Titans resale is better than the big three but not toyota good. Just as a reference, I was offered just under $17k for my 04 back in April but I decided to keep it since I don't want to start payments again...and I only have 30k miles on it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not really that serious about a new truck, just thought it would be a different thing to do during lunch. As I said, always get your keys back so you can walk. I haven't heard back from them yet, but since it is the first of the month, I'm guessing they are waiting me out. I just think that Nissan would be a little more communicative with the dealers and keep them above board, that would help them in the long run. Imagine word of mouth if Nissan dealers were known as the most honest, fair car mfg in the US? I bet that would do more for sales, and repeat sales, than what goes on at dealers now.

·
Registered
639 Posts
fman said:
Yeah, go price a used Titan. If you find anything less than $16-17k it's probably a baseline XE and/or high miles. A decently equipped rig will run in the $19-20k range pretty easily.

Regardless of the brand you own or the place you go....they always hit you with LOW trade in values. Remember, they don't make money if they give you a fair price so the dealers low ball you. They actually give you "black book/auction" value which is about 75-80% of real trade in value. I guess it's easier to trade, but if you have a decent vehicle and ask a fair price then normally a private party sale is a positive experience for all involved.

I absolutely hate car dealers. I won't trade with them, and I get my financing in place before I go. It takes longer to buy a vehicle, but the power is absolutely priceless and my buying experiences always tend to go my way!

I NEVER and I mean NEVER tell them that I have financing in place until a price for the vehicle is agreed upon. I then pull out my draft from the bank when they ask for all of my info financing. The last time that I let a stealership finance me, they sent my stuff to EIGHT different lenders and it didn't look very good on the bureau. As a matter of fact in was Bob Howard Toyota that did this to us and I learned a very valuable lesson that day. Plus I refuse to do business with and Bob Howard stealerships now.

It hurt way back then but it was a lesson learned.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Seriously, what did you expect him to say??

Repeat 3X

I will never trade in a vehicle at a dealership...

There now that was easy, wasn't it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts