Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 96' Ram and I'm looking to buy something new. I have driven the new Ford and was very Impressed with the new design and the torque it had off the line. I haven't had the chance to drive the Titan yet. Has anyone had the chance to compare the 2 side-by-side. I just need some input. I'm sure I was impressed with the Ford only because my 5.2 Ram is slow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have test driven both, not on the same day though. I drove a 2004 F-150 ext cab 4x4 XLT, the Nissan Titan 4x4 king cab AND crew cab.

I liked the looks of the F-150, especially the interior. Even the cloth looks to high quality. I didn't like that the seats in the ext cab were so low.

Comparing the Titan and the F-150.
1. The Titan has 5 speed auto, the F-150 has a 4 speed auto.
2. The Titan has more hp and torque. Not much more, but the Titan is much faster.
3. The F-150 has a bigger towing capacity (9900 lbs vs 9500lbs)
4. MSRP on the Titan appears to be less than the F-150.

This biggest thing that stand out is the power. That is what convinced me that I prefer the Titan to the F-150. Drive one. The Titan performs much better. In addition, Nissan has a better rep for reliability (according to Consumer Reports).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I really need to get out there and drive one to see for myself. Once I get a up close look to the Titan I'm sure I'll come to the same conclussion that the Titan handles better. As far as reliability is concered, if the Titan is anything like the Quest (mini van) then I will be happy. My Mother-in-law is on her 3rd quest and the first one is still in the family with almost 200,000 on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've always been a Ford guy, and I've had pretty good luck with them. Nissan just has a better reputation for reliability. Also, if your like me and your happiness is drawn through your right foot, then you'll definitely like the Titan better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have driven both about 30 minutes apart. I have been a Ford buyer for the last 30 years, hey I have 5 of them sitting around here. The Titan was the quietest, despite Fords claim with their new frame, was by far more snappy with the throttle (still trying to figure how Ford got 300 HP out of that thing, seemed more like 200HP), the fit and finish were way above Ford. Even the wife said the Ford looked cheap. We drove the XLT, 5.4, with trailer towing, 3.55 limited slip, and captains chairs. I was not impressed with the new F-150 at all. Frankly, if I can't get the deal I want with the Titan, I'll keep driving my 02 Supercrew, it's a better truck than the new Ford.

·
Registered
294 Posts
In our area we have a Nissan dealership directly across the street from a Ford dealership which worked great for comparison purposes. Like Trapper L we drive both within 30-45 min's apart. I must say that I like the look of the Ford and the interior is a tremedous leap forward for them but like the majority of those that have reviewed the new F150 I was simply not impressed with the power of the Ford. My wife even said that she felt our 4Runner 4.7 V8 had more power than the Ford.

·
Registered
8 Posts
F150 VS Tita

To answer any questions on the comparison, as a salesman of the new Titan I had the opporunity to compare the Titan to the F150, Doge Ram 1500, and the Toyota Tundra. Out of all the comparisons the F150 matched up the best in my opinion. Although I still believe the Titan has it beat. The F150 showed more body lean around turns then the Titan, and the Titan has more low end torque for better "off the line" acceleration. The biggest difference for the two trucks is going to be the resale value. Nissan has a history of holding a very good resale value where Ford does not. All in all the Titan is a better truck than most expected and should be for years to come.

·
Registered
25 Posts
smith918, I think you are the man I need to chat with. I want to know about maintenance. How often for tuneups, changing transmission fluid, life of belt(s), filters, type & weight of oil, are the oil filters readily available or are they something special that are going to be hard to find, changing rear axle fluid, rotating the air in the tires- I would appreciate some info. I had a Dodge that like to have eat me out of house and home trying to keep up with the maintenance- I don't need to be in that position again. Try every 30,000 miles, tuneup, change tranny fluid, change axle fluid to the tune of $900. I drive a lot and office out of my truck. I run 40-50,000 miles a year and so far the Fords have been great on low maintenance. But I don't like the new F-150 and I won't have a truck I don't like. Any info you can share is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
maintenance

It's not a problem at all helping you out with the info. First of all your oil changes are expected to be done at 3750 miles. Most people still like to change at 3000 just to be on the safe side. Your first tune up isn't due until 105,000 miles. This is because your spark plugs are platinum tipped pluggs and your timing belt is actually a chain. It should last the life of the vehicle, but it is good to have the timing chain checked at the 105000 mile tune up. As far as your rear axle fluid and transmission oil, I recomend to have them checked about every other oil change, and have them changed as needed. If you haven't bought your Titan yet let me know. I have a couple of them in stock and am willing to send you any information you need. Just let me know where to send the information. I will be checking this site daily to answer any questions anyone may have. I hope I helped.

S

·
0 Posts
Titan versus F150

I had posted the following on Mr. Truck but started reading this site and wanted to share a few things I found out. Believe me I research everything I buy and this was the case with this truck. I just sold my Dodge 1500 which I loved. I started reading about the Titan and my heart started going. I have owned Toyota's, GMC's and my last truck the Dodge. To say I am impressed with the Titan is an understatement. I have test driven most models before I made my decision and placed my order. I have never bought a truck in the town I live in but this dealership has been great as this has been a learning experience for all involved. Hi Gabe! I know have on order a white crew cab, 4X4, SE popular package, off-road, utility bed etc. Read my review on the Ford F150 below. I think the Titan is one of the best trucks out there and I loved the Car and Driver review. As for the exhaust sound, man I love it. I love the handling and the features. Mine is suppose to be here Feb. 4th and as soon as I drive it a while I will let all of you know the good, bad and the ugly. love this site and all your comments.

My comments:
Well even though my Titan will be here Feb 4th I decided to go ahead and drive the new Ford F150. I kept an open mind as I could always cancel my truck so I had no pressure on me. While the interior has really changed on the Ford and they have a new type effort free tailgate the Titan still came out ahead on power and comfort to me. I could not rest my arms on the counsel or door rest and still reach the steering wheel in the Ford. This is important on long trips. I feel much more comfortable in the Titan especially with the captain chairs with the arm rests. I am very tall and there was much more leg room in the back of the crew cab in the Titan than the Ford. The Ford is a very nice truck, don't get me wrong, but the power difference I could tell right away with the Titan the winner. Anyway either truck is great but I am sticking with the Titan and can't wait for it to get here!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed the same thing about the Ford with the not being able to rest my arm on the door arm rest like I can in my Ram. I also noticed when I made a left U-Turn I almost fell out of the seat and I was wearing my seat belt. I also don't like the electronic throttle in the F-150. It just has a hessitation I don't like. There are a few things I do like, like the combination access pad on the drivers door and the power rear center window. But, that's not enough to change my mind about buying the Titan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I drove the Titan and new '04 F150 back to back....IMO there is
no comparison. The Titan was much tighter feeling and had
more low end power. Interiors were a toss up however the
Ford had plastic wood inserts in the dash and they looked
more like cheap plastic than wood. The floor shifter reminded
me of aftermarket shift knobs you see in the rice compact import
magazine ads. Ford's exterior is nice but the Nissan is different
and grew on me the more I saw it....now I like it even better.

Look in the rear fender well of the Ford and there's the
suspension...the Titan has liners. Price wise it was a toss
up. BTW I've owned many Fords and GM trucks before this
Nissan......my only concern is a new model without a track record.
Generally though, the Japanese get it right from car 1. Let's
hope made in the USA carries the same quality..........

·
Registered
50 Posts
F150 vs Titan

I took the whole family and we drove both Friday night. Lariat vs LE 'cause I'm buying one or the other this year. A couple observations: the Titan seemed to handle better. I'm used to the tight Japanese feel as opposed to the more loose big American car feel. The Ford interior extras seemed more pleasing. I'm a "city boy" and I like (although not essential) little comforts like automatice climate control. The kids said the back seat seemed a little roomier with the Titan (shorter...not as deep back seats on the F150). Bring an extra set of eardrums with you when you test the Titan...you'll blow a pair out when you roll down the back window if you're going very fast at all...the reverbarration was torturous. With all the windows up, the Titan is still noisier (engine/exhaust sound) but it's more powerful, handsdown. The Lariat only comes with a light color leather (not my preference). With the Titan LE it comes with the Utilitrac System which means you can't get a lockable cover for your bed (something I must have). That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Two FINE vehicles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
No lockable bed cover?

PLEASE don't tell me that....I was counting on getting one when they are out!!!

Crickett :crying:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
pyromedic said:
I currently drive a 96' Ram and I'm looking to buy something new. I have driven the new Ford and was very Impressed with the new design and the torque it had off the line. I haven't had the chance to drive the Titan yet. Has anyone had the chance to compare the 2 side-by-side. I just need some input. I'm sure I was impressed with the Ford only because my 5.2 Ram is slow.
Uh oh....not another F150 vs. Titan thread :eh: ....LOL :crying:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like the comfort in the Titan, front and back. A couple little things as well are the foot rest and the tow mirrors. I have a travel trailer and comfort/safety in towing is a must. I never understood why ford doesn't offer the tow mirrors on the f150 that the have on the f250 as well as a simple foot rest.
I drove both and loved the Titan from the get go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Howie Kaluha said:
Uh oh....not another F150 vs. Titan thread :eh: ....LOL :crying:
look at the date, this thread was started back in dec. not "another" F-150 vs. TITAN thread

·
Registered
622 Posts
i test drove both. the TITAN dominates in most aspects. the only thing the f150 had going for it was the interior, goodness that was nice. it was lariet with black leather and all the works, msrp 39K. i have a LE and i will admit that the lariet blows the LE outta the water. everything else tho, looks, power, speed, being unique, all go to the TITAN.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
TITAN21 said:
look at the date, this thread was started back in dec. not "another" F-150 vs. TITAN thread
Oh darn...sheesh...*cough*..ummmm....my friggin bad. But this isn't the only thread in this forum titled "F150 vs. Titan" or "Ford F150 vs. Nissan Titan" or "should I buy F150 or Titan???"....my point was how these old threads and new threads keep comin back around dealing with the F150 vs. Titan. Its simple but true: you buy an F150, you're getting a Ford ( :eh: ), you buy a Titan you're getting a Nissan!! ( :gunz: :) :cheers: :haveredfl :rockon :rockon :google:

·
Registered
740 Posts
nursecrickett said:
PLEASE don't tell me that....I was counting on getting one when they are out!!!

Crickett :crying:
Check other threads. More and more companies are bringing out lockable covers - don't fret!! :teethmast

1 - 20 of 24 Posts