Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a new truck and i was deciding between the new titan and the new tundra. and i just wanted to know what types of issues u guys have had with your titan during offroading. i want a truck that can handle my almost daily offroading and also have lots of power for towing. thx

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
the titan has ALOT more ground clearance compared to the tundra. the tundra is taller, but looks can be deceiving. compare how much clearance you have between the two by looking under both and measuring.

other than that, both are reliable trucks for towing. just make sure you hook up the one you choose with GOOD aftermarket suspension if you plan on doing the occasional off roading.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You can get the Pro 4X package in the Titan. That includes a rear locking differential, OR tires, some extra skid plates, lower gearing and some cosmetic differences from other models. As far as I know the OR version of the Tundra is just tires, skid plates and cosmetic. The Titan has been the best rated truck off road in all truck comparisons that I have seen. The Tundra seems to be a let down in terms of "real" truck usage from most opinions that I have personally heard. They are notorious for body flex and bed bounce, not good for off road use. As far as off roading problems, I have had none other than getting stuck, that was due to me pushing my luck. I went through some mud successfully and got ****y and tried to do it again in a deeper area. No stock truck would have been able to make it through that mud. I probably would have been okay if I had better mud tires. I towed a 4500 pound boat once and that is all the towing experience that I have had. I did not even know the boat was back there. I would be willing to say that both the Titan and Tundra will tow around the same level. If I were to tow more than 5000 pounds often, I would get a diesel. Test drive both and see. I think you will like the Titan better and when you get pricing on both, you will see the value in the Titan. It is a BA truck. I drove all of them and nothing compared to the Titan overall. Look up "nissan titan offroad" on youtube. Here are a few links that I found online with a quick search.

Nissan Titan, King of Nissan Off-Roaders | Roadfly.com: Car Reviews & Road Tests

2008 4x4 Nissan Titan Review - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I'd go for Titan over the Tundra. But that's if I had to pick between JUST the two. I test drove the Tundra and on city roads, that thing was BUMPY! going over the same road in my Titan, felt like a car compared to the Tundra..so I could only imagin the banging around you'd get offroad in the Tundra.

Both trucks will pull what you need..hell any truck these days will. The Silverado/Ram/Tundra/Titan all will do the same towing wise..so will the F150, just slower lol

The Titan can be a great truck. Some guys (including myself) have had horrible luck with their trucks, and seeked other options, but honestly, most the guys have had very minor issues and from what's going around with the 08/09 guys, the prior year problems have all been corrected.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Both great trucks, can't go wrong with either. Both are better trucks then what the big 3 are offering.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought a Titan a few months ago and was considering the Tundra. Both are great trucks as others have mentioned but you'll get a better deal on the Titan right now with the 5K rebate. Ultimately this is what set the two apart for me. The Titan is also slightly nicer IMO. The interior of the Tundra seemed awkward but I prferred the exterior styling of the tundra...

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
I must disagree with the one magazine article that the above links take you to about the towing power. I just completed a 3800 plus mile cross country move. I had my 08.5 stock truck with the towing package, my wife, puppy and I in the cab with laptop, camera and a few other things. In the bed I had four sandbags against the front of the bed, two smaller tool boxes and then all our bags and the dog kennel, the bed was full to the top. On the back I had a uhaul auto transport, on the transport I had my wifes jetta full to the brim with crap we needed when we first got to rhode Island. Trailer is 2k empty, her car is about 3600 give or take a couple hundred. I towed over the Washington mountains and all other from there to Rhode Island with all the power in the world. Doing 65-70 uphills, 75 on the flats and averaged about 12 for the whole trip. Some may cringe at this, but total scale weight was 12740 as I rolled over a scale in North Dakota. These trucks have balls, they are comfortable and I would never trade mine. Only addition that will be made is some firestone helper bags to help with the squat of being loaded. Amazing truck, my wife still can't believe how great it was for the trip! Hope that helps! Oh yeah, off road...My 04 had some good offroad time. Skidplates are amazing and I need to get them for the new one. Handled like a champ! Enjoy!

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Get a Pro-4x, it's a whole lot more truck for your $$$. I'm pretty confident that I could put a Tundra through the wringer. There's a Lifted TRD running around here that I'm pretty sure his M/T's would be his only advantage over mine if I remove my running boards.

·
Banned
3,832 Posts
well the question is do you like catfish?:)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Why can't people use the search function... There are a couple of these threads around and they all end up to be pretty epic threads... and yeah, what HVT said.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might swap out suspension anyways so TRD or Pro 4x wont benefit me at all.

My main question is have you ever had anything bend or damage? Whats the max depth in water the Titan can go?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts

My main question is have you ever had anything bend or damage? Whats the max depth in water the Titan can go?
Maybe it's a boat you want? lol..anyhow, I've not heard of anyone bending frames or anything like that while offroading. As for swapping suspensions, that's a small part of the PRO-4X. I mostly chose it for the interior and rear locker.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The Titan has a full boxed frame. The Tundra does not.
Yeah, but its boxed under the cab which is what really matters. Remember? :lol:

POS Toyota.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Nothing bends or damages unless you jump it. There was one damaged from ramping off a dune in the desert. As for water, a couple have been in up to the engine hood for brief periods. I'd strongly suggest a snorkel for anything up to top fender. With a snorkel, trans breather extension, and rear diff breather extension, you can go as deep as you want.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=419&products_id=3767

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=419&products_id=4993

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah, but its boxed under the cab which is what really matters. Remember? :lol:

POS Toyota.
I don't even think its boxed under the cab. I'm pretty sure just the front is boxed, then under cab is reinforced C-channel, then normal C-channel for the rest. Gotta love the marketing BS that is the "Triple Tech Frame"...

To the OP, I've seen one bent frame on a Titan, and that was a guy hauling @$$ through the desert with a loaded toy-hauler who hit a large drop-off/ dip.

·
Registered
740 Posts

Live HVT said, the PRO 4X have the nice interior, rear locker and more skid plates. I assume that if you are going to upgrade the suspension then you will get new tires and rims also so the OR tires and rims are not a factor. Look for some Titans going through water on youtube.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts