Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Been having some issues with my 18 titan lately. It started one day I drove approx 15 miles to the grocery store, came out to my truck, and it started but idled very roughly then died. It then would not start. I had to be jumped off.

I drove straight to an autozone and they tested the battery and said it had a low charge but all cells were good and the battery checked out, but the charge was too low to test the alternator.

Since then I have driven the truck a bit, watching my voltage gauge and noticed that intermittently, when giving the truck throttle, the voltage drops. I would expect this to be different since this is when the alternator is supposed to be charging. One day when it was doing this, I stopped by a different autozone and they were able to test both the battery and the alternator, and said both checked out good.

I've driven the truck several times and no issues other than the intermittent voltage fluctuation that doesn't happen every time I drive it, until this week.

I've now had to jump the truck off 3 times this week. Once on Monday to leave the house, then when I got to where I was going, approx 25 miles, I had to jump it off again. Then I went to 3 more places and didn't need a jump each time, now this morning it's dead again and won't crank.

I have an appt with Nissan on Wednesday to diagnose, but they said since it's intermittent, if they can't replicate the issue while they have it, or find anything else wrong, they will charge me $150 for diagnostics to "pay their tech for their time". Shouldn't this be covered by the warranty? I feel I shouldn't have to pay anything with a full coverage warranty when there is a problem.

Any ideas? The truck only has around 57k on the clock, and I don't have much of anything pulling juice except for a dash cam that is on an ignition fuse, so it doesn't pull battery when off, and I do have a small amp for a sub but it also shuts off when the truck turns off, and the amp is very small, less than 400 watts.

LC

·
Premium Member
2021 Titan SL
935 Posts
How old is the battery? I've seen them test fine but still not hold a charge. I also had a door jamb switch go bad and sneakily drain the battery. If the alternator is putting out the right amps, I spend my first $150 on a new battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is the battery? I've seen them test fine but still not hold a charge. I also had a door jamb switch go bad and sneakily drain the battery. If the alternator is putting out the right amps, I spend my first $150 on a new battery.
The battery in it is the original factory battery from 2018

LC

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Id think a four year old battery it past it’s prime. My last two Titans needed a battery, one at 13 months and the other at 25 months.
Nissan batteries are not so good.

Clint

Reactions: SeanDavy

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
751 Posts
x3 for replace the battery and see if it fixes it. At 4+ years you’ve gotten your monies worth on the first one.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
365 Posts
Definitely replace the battery. The Titan is pretty sensitive to battery voltage variations. I'd also suggest un-plugging the voltage regulator. The harness can be seen in the link below attached to the battery cable. I had some pretty weird intermittent issues after I replaced my OEM battery - starting hesitation, limp mode, etc. After unplugging this harness, all the issues are gone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely replace the battery. The Titan is pretty sensitive to battery voltage variations. I'd also suggest un-plugging the voltage regulator. The harness can be seen in the link below attached to the battery cable. I had some pretty weird intermittent issues after I replaced my OEM battery - starting hesitation, limp mode, etc. After unplugging this harness, all the issues are gone.

Interesting. Do you think if I unplug this and charge my current battery it will return to normal? I'd hate to drop $230 on a new battery if I don't have to, however the stocker is approaching 5 years old.

I haven't been driving the truck as much as I used to since I started working from home. Wonder if it just doesn't get charged enough.

LC

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Please share if you know where I can get one that cheap. That $230 price is what autozone shows for this truck, duralast platinum.

$219 for a EFB and $229 for an AGM OE Replacement.

LC
Costco or Walmart. Only thing with Walmart is make sure to check the mfr date sticker but otherwise I've always had great luck with their batteries.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Id think a four year old battery it past it’s prime. My last two Titans needed a battery, one at 13 months and the other at 25 months.
Nissan batteries are not so good.

I disagree, my last two titans had original batteries that lasted 6 and 7 years before replacement.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Please share if you know where I can get one that cheap. That $230 price is what autozone shows for this truck, duralast platinum.

$219 for a EFB and $229 for an AGM OE Replacement.

LC
Just go get a Walmart everstart battery.. Great warranty and Walmart's everywhere!!

I like how Autozone told u… Battery is good but just has a low charge😂😂

Anyway… Titan's don't like weak batteries…

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
-

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm guessing there may be a price difference maybe based on our location. That same battery at my local store is $190.

I checked my local Walmart and they had ONE battery on the shelf that doesn't look big enough to start a powerwheels toy.

I'll keep checking. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

LC

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,895 Posts
its not the type of voltage regulator we are accustomed to from the previous generation of alternators. the one he is saying to unplug shuts off the system that is constantly turning the alternator on and off, non-stop. mine would always kick on and off and make my idle drop to 500 and then back up, every 10 seconds or so. it annoyed the heck out of me and i complained to the dealer, multiple times, but they said that is how its designed to work. the ecu keeps the alternator off to save gas mileage, until the battery drops below a certain voltage.

when you unplug it, the alternator goes back to a constantly on alternator, like we are all accustomed to with a regulator that keeps the charge at 14v or whatever its sits at

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey folks,

Been having some issues with my 18 titan lately. It started one day I drove approx 15 miles to the grocery store, came out to my truck, and it started but idled very roughly then died. It then would not start. I had to be jumped off.

I drove straight to an autozone and they tested the battery and said it had a low charge but all cells were good and the battery checked out, but the charge was too low to test the alternator.

Since then I have driven the truck a bit, watching my voltage gauge and noticed that intermittently, when giving the truck throttle, the voltage drops. I would expect this to be different since this is when the alternator is supposed to be charging. One day when it was doing this, I stopped by a different autozone and they were able to test both the battery and the alternator, and said both checked out good.

I've driven the truck several times and no issues other than the intermittent voltage fluctuation that doesn't happen every time I drive it, until this week.

I've now had to jump the truck off 3 times this week. Once on Monday to leave the house, then when I got to where I was going, approx 25 miles, I had to jump it off again. Then I went to 3 more places and didn't need a jump each time, now this morning it's dead again and won't crank.

I have an appt with Nissan on Wednesday to diagnose, but they said since it's intermittent, if they can't replicate the issue while they have it, or find anything else wrong, they will charge me $150 for diagnostics to "pay their tech for their time". Shouldn't this be covered by the warranty? I feel I shouldn't have to pay anything with a full coverage warranty when there is a problem.

Any ideas? The truck only has around 57k on the clock, and I don't have much of anything pulling juice except for a dash cam that is on an ignition fuse, so it doesn't pull battery when off, and I do have a small amp for a sub but it also shuts off when the truck turns off, and the amp is very small, less than 400 watts.

LC
I have a 2017nissan and been having the same problem except mine is happening with the radio and the windows it just turned 60000 had a new motor put in ever since trouble with the same thing nissan told me they couldn't find anything wrong I hopefully they can find what's wrong with yours good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I'm still having weird issues.

I replaced the battery with a brand new duralast platinum AGM. No problems starting, hasn't died, etc.

Today when going to pick up my take-out, I noticed my voltage gauge. Now I'm not sure what these graduated tick marks are supposed to represent, because there's 7 marks between 8 and 18 on the gauge. So on the way to the take-out place, the voltage gauge would drop below the middle mark when giving throttle. I also noticed the speed/force of my AC decrease. When letting off the throttle, the gauge would go up to a tick or tick and a half past the middle. Maybe a bit more.

Now, grab my food, get back in the truck, and head home. The gauge stays on the halfway tick mark the entire way back home. No fluctuation or other issues.

Those of you that have unplugged the voltage regulator thing on the negative terminal, have you experienced any bad issues or problems, lights, etc after unplugging this connector?

LC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts