Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife and I were looking for a house we had only 3 criteria, and 1 was a 2-car garage. The day I bought the house, I tried to park in the garage and it sticks out about 4" preventing the garage door from lowering. I cannot park at an angle to make it work. From what I have read, there are basically 3 options: 1) extend the space by taking the far wall in a little to afford room for the truck (not worth it in my opinion), 2) extend the space by getting a ramp so maybe going up diagonally would grant me access, 3) reducing the length of the truck by replacing the rear bump with a roll pan or something like that. This 3rd option seems more likely. Just wondering if anyone has figured out a solution to this issue.
I have a 2012 Titan SV Sports Appearance Package.
Unfortunately, if I cannot find a viable solution I may be selling this truck to purchase something that fits. Which makes me sad because I love my Titan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realized after I posted this that it is in the wrong forum. Unfortunately, I don't know how to correct that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could get a house with a bigger garage......:p

Try this?

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,559 Posts
Measure twice, park once.

Reactions: CBEllis and dubyam

·
Registered
274 Posts
My T doesn't fit in mine either. We're building a new house right now, and I actually paid to upgrade the length of the garage cuz i'm tired of the Pathfinder in the garage and I have to get out of the Titan in the rain.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
442 Posts

My car has about a good 6" of wiggle room (no that's NOT what she said) but I eyeball it by lining up the side mirror with my leaf blower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my Titan is because it fits in the garage....and it barely fits. I only park it in the garage if hail is in the forecast.
I believe it's one of the shorter trucks compared to the others, so if the Titan didn't fit, you might have a hard time finding something that does.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
it won't fit in mine. my garage and house were built in the 40s so i have two single car garages next to each other, basically. they are thin, like if i put the bmw in the garage, you could only get in the driver's side and i could park my bicycle at the end and be ok. in the other one, i have a riding lawn mower and two rolling tool boxes so no cars are fitting in there.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
288 Posts
When my wife and I were looking for a house we had only 3 criteria, and 1 was a 2-car garage. The day I bought the house, I tried to park in the garage and it sticks out about 4" preventing the garage door from lowering. I cannot park at an angle to make it work. From what I have read, there are basically 3 options: 1) extend the space by taking the far wall in a little to afford room for the truck (not worth it in my opinion), 2) extend the space by getting a ramp so maybe going up diagonally would grant me access, 3) reducing the length of the truck by replacing the rear bump with a roll pan or something like that. This 3rd option seems more likely. Just wondering if anyone has figured out a solution to this issue.
I have a 2012 Titan SV Sports Appearance Package.
Unfortunately, if I cannot find a viable solution I may be selling this truck to purchase something that fits. Which makes me sad because I love my Titan.
The ramps won’t gain you 4”. That’s a-lot of space to make up. That’s a tough one. I love parking in the garage too. I’d be tempted to find a new truck...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I read this the other day and didn't comment because I didn't have much to add at the time. But as it's kind of hung around the back of my mind, I'm wondering if there is a solution here. Unless you have a long bed crew cab (which you didn't indicate, so I'm betting you don't) your Titan is 18' 9" in length. That's for the KC or the CC short bed. Very few garages built in the last 30-40yrs are less than 19' in length in areas I've lived. Most are either 19x20 or 20x20 on the lower end. When we built our house, I had a requirement that the garage be 22' deep, which is great. If I had it to do over again, I'd have done a 3-car and made it closer to 28' deep. But that's my problem, not yours. Is your garage, with the door closed, less than 19' from door hinge to back wall? Or is the issue that there are cabinets, shelves, or some other thing in the way? Because cabinets or shelves can be removed pretty easily, relatively speaking, and make room for the truck. you don't even have to remove all the cabinets/shelves - just a section as wide as the front of your truck. But maybe your garage is only 18'4" deep and you're really 4" short.

Reactions: CBEllis

·
Registered
274 Posts
I read this the other day and didn't comment because I didn't have much to add at the time. But as it's kind of hung around the back of my mind, I'm wondering if there is a solution here. Unless you have a long bed crew cab (which you didn't indicate, so I'm betting you don't) your Titan is 18' 9" in length. That's for the KC or the CC short bed. Very few garages built in the last 30-40yrs are less than 19' in length in areas I've lived. Most are either 19x20 or 20x20 on the lower end. When we built our house, I had a requirement that the garage be 22' deep, which is great. If I had it to do over again, I'd have done a 3-car and made it closer to 28' deep. But that's my problem, not yours. Is your garage, with the door closed, less than 19' from door hinge to back wall? Or is the issue that there are cabinets, shelves, or some other thing in the way? Because cabinets or shelves can be removed pretty easily, relatively speaking, and make room for the truck. you don't even have to remove all the cabinets/shelves - just a section as wide as the front of your truck. But maybe your garage is only 18'4" deep and you're really 4" short.
I also am having new garage being built and extending to 25' (to have room behind truck for storage and fridge). I don't think it's exactly 25', more like 24'8" or so.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I also am having new garage being built and extending to 25' (to have room behind truck for storage and fridge). I don't think it's exactly 25', more like 24'8" or so.
It's definitely a dillehma, more garage or more indoor living space? I know the best answer would be just to get more house. Which reminds me, I was flying my drone around a few weeks ago and saw this house on a hill overlooking the city I was in. The size of the house and the full sized basketball court made me think it was a local NBA player. It actually belongs to a freaking allergy doctor. I think it last sold for about $1.6 million. I'm thinking I should've studied harder in school. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I'm sure he also doesn't know how to extend his garage, should he need to.

Y'all done made me go measure! 20'6" from wall to door.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's definitely a dillehma, more garage or more indoor living space? I know the best answer would be just to get more house. Which reminds me, I was flying my drone around a few weeks ago and saw this house on a hill overlooking the city I was in. The size of the house and the full sized basketball court made me think it was a local NBA player. It actually belongs to a freaking allergy doctor. I think it last sold for about $1.6 million. I'm thinking I should've studied harder in school. :(

View attachment 549231
Somebody has to clean it! My Titan won’t fit in mine so the Impreza goes there. My dream house is a 4 car garage. 3 cars and the 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag that takes up the rest.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Somebody has to clean it! My Titan won’t fit in mine so the Impreza goes there. My dream house is a 4 car garage. 3 cars and the 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag that takes up the rest.
I'm thinking my next garage is going to be climate controlled. I just put on a new door and made sure it was insulated, but I'd like my next one to be heated/cooled.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I'm thinking my next garage is going to be climate controlled. I just put on a new door and made sure it was insulated, but I'd like my next one to be heated/cooled.
When we built the house we're in, I came by one afternoon and the guys were insulating. (I came by almost every day, as it is a big expense and had I not, the builder would have done some very expensive things wrong and caused me no small harm, but that's another story.) So as I'm checking out the insulation, I see that the way my garage is built, most of it is already insulated. Two walls border the house, so they're insulated. There's a room above, so the ceiling is insulated. The door is an insulated door. I asked what it would cost for me to get the front wall and the area around the door insulated, and the guy says, "Shoot, man, that's only maybe $50 worth of materials. I won't even charge you the labor, because we won't have to load this crap back in the truck so it's a wash." I told him to insulate it for me and I'd pay him directly. He did, I did, and went on my merry way. Next afternoon I'm out there and talking with the builder, and he asks if I had the guy insulate the whole garage. I said I sure did. He laughed and said it was a total waste of money, and made fun of me for a couple of minutes for knowing nothing about how construction really works and being just book smart. I said it was my money and I'd waste it however the heck I pleased, and he was cordially invited to kiss my arse. Well, fast forward to mid-summer about a month after we moved in, and he's out there overseeing some punch list items getting done. It's 101deg on this July day in Alabama, and he's feeling the heat. We step into my garage through the walk-through door, and the temp in the garage is about 80deg. He says, "Are you running the AC in here?" I said, "No. This is the benefit of being smart enough to waste my money on stuff that matters. It never gets more than about 85deg in here with the doors closed. Overnight, it cools to about 70 or so. Maybe the best $50 I ever spent. Some folks thought it was stupid. But they don't know crap about how things work in terms of thermodynamics." The look on his face was priceless.

My advice: Insulate the whole garage, even if you don't heat/cool it. In the winter here, when it's in the teens outside (northern Alabama has pretty good temp swings from winter to summer), my garage has never been colder than 47deg. In the summer, when it's 99-102, my garage is 80 or maybe as warm as 85deg. But in comparison to outside, it feels like the dadgum thing is climate controlled. When I build the second garage out back, it will be a 40x30 four-car setup (already have the plans drawn, but won't be building it this year while lumber is through the roof) with 14' ceilings in the shop area. I'll insulate it and probably go ahead and put in a split system to climate control it, as I'm going to have to put something in for the guest suite that will go upstairs so we have room for the kids/grandkids to come back home for the holidays (and so I can have a pool table and some man-space).

·
Registered
442 Posts
When we built the house we're in, I came by one afternoon and the guys were insulating. (I came by almost every day, as it is a big expense and had I not, the builder would have done some very expensive things wrong and caused me no small harm, but that's another story.) So as I'm checking out the insulation, I see that the way my garage is built, most of it is already insulated. Two walls border the house, so they're insulated. There's a room above, so the ceiling is insulated. The door is an insulated door. I asked what it would cost for me to get the front wall and the area around the door insulated, and the guy says, "Shoot, man, that's only maybe $50 worth of materials. I won't even charge you the labor, because we won't have to load this crap back in the truck so it's a wash." I told him to insulate it for me and I'd pay him directly. He did, I did, and went on my merry way. Next afternoon I'm out there and talking with the builder, and he asks if I had the guy insulate the whole garage. I said I sure did. He laughed and said it was a total waste of money, and made fun of me for a couple of minutes for knowing nothing about how construction really works and being just book smart. I said it was my money and I'd waste it however the heck I pleased, and he was cordially invited to kiss my arse. Well, fast forward to mid-summer about a month after we moved in, and he's out there overseeing some punch list items getting done. It's 101deg on this July day in Alabama, and he's feeling the heat. We step into my garage through the walk-through door, and the temp in the garage is about 80deg. He says, "Are you running the AC in here?" I said, "No. This is the benefit of being smart enough to waste my money on stuff that matters. It never gets more than about 85deg in here with the doors closed. Overnight, it cools to about 70 or so. Maybe the best $50 I ever spent. Some folks thought it was stupid. But they don't know crap about how things work in terms of thermodynamics." The look on his face was priceless.

My advice: Insulate the whole garage, even if you don't heat/cool it. In the winter here, when it's in the teens outside (northern Alabama has pretty good temp swings from winter to summer), my garage has never been colder than 47deg. In the summer, when it's 99-102, my garage is 80 or maybe as warm as 82deg. But in comparison to outside, it feels like the dadgum thing is climate controlled. When I build the second garage out back, it will be a 40x30 four-car setup (already have the plans drawn, but won't be building it this year while lumber is through the roof) with 14' ceilings in the shop area. I'll insulate it and probably go ahead and put in a split system to climate control it, as I'm going to have to put something in for the guest suite that will go upstairs so we have room for the kids/grandkids to come back home for the holidays (and so I can have a pool table and some man-space).
One thing to also consider, if it's an attached garage have a network drop. I have about 3-4 "smart" items in my garage right now, from the garage door to a security camera hub. I would love to run a wifi access point in the garage and keep it separate from my other devices inside the house. A washer/dryer that has smart capabilities would also score brownie points with anyone in the household that does the wash. It's quite amazing what today's homes can offer.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Our structured wiring box is in the utility closet in the garage, so we have network, tv, and all other capabilities easily accessible in the garage. When I build the second, I'm actually contemplating running a ductbank with six or seven chases in two pipes to run Cat6 out to the second garage and keep a single unified network.

Reactions: steely123
1 - 20 of 31 Posts