Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've had my Titan for a few weeks now, (4x4, CC, offroad & tow)
And here are the packages that I wish that I could've waited for:
a) Power Captain & Roqford Fosgate
b) Utility Bed package.

The bench seat could really use some more support under the front of the thighs, and the 6 disk changer stereo can sound 'muddy'.
(I'm no audiophile either.....)
And the utility bed option is just too cool.

So, I'm thinking,
"How can I get these items?"
1. If I could get the power captains chairs, what are the chances that the power connector is already wired? It looks like the seat would bolt right in, but there may not be room for the armrests. I'd have to measure it. (I'd keep the existing bench center console)
2. The Roqford Fosgate stereo looks like it would fit right in. Or possibly requiring a new dash plate at the most. I wonder if the speakers that exist, are the same as the RF stereo, just without the sub?
3. The utility bed package. If I could get those rails, they would bolt right in! Then I just add a spray-in liner. What are the chances that the 12v bed outlet is already wired?

Other than paying $$$$ from the dealer, or waiting for these items to hit a local wrecking yard, where might I get these items?

Ideas anyone? Am I insane?

(and if you're wondering why I didn't just wait for a truck with the packages that I wanted, it's because my exisiting car blew up, and I had been renting a car for over a month already waiting for the Titan to hit the dealers.....)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think #2 would require speakers and potentially a higher guage wire. I'd be really surprised if it were the same setup. The RF setup has 10 speakers.

#3 would probably be the easiest. Spray in bedliner from a local shop and those bedrails you could easily pickup.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am wondering to if the dealer tech would have the expertise of installing the rockford system after initial purchase. I do however have the power captain chair. You might try adjusting the bass, midrange and treble on your existing stereo. I have found that although it doesn't have the rumbling bass of a subwoofer that it does sound very clean. And I do like controlling it from the steering wheel. I can't find any spec's on this stereo, does anyone know that wattage and brand/type of speakers used?

I don't have the rockford system I have the nissan 6 disc changer system.

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
3,325 Posts
Stereo

Not sure what wattage is... Nissan states 350watts but that's times 10 speakers and it's peak wattage I'm sure not RMS.. I think the Stereo sounds like crap.. The subwoofer is so small and it bottoms out very easily. The Stereo has real issues at picking up stations so Imagine the FM sensitivity is like 18dbf which is real bad.. I can't wait for aftermarket dash so I can upgrade to a real system... I don't know how much longer I can listen to music with no power..

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I've been told by the factory, you can't add the utility rails aftermarket. The bed of the truck is different to support the tracks. Thats why it's a factory installed item and not port installed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adjusting the bass/treble helped a little (both were cranked to full),
but it's still muddy sounding.
Even though the 6-disk unit has fewer speakers(8?), I wonder if the speakers that it has, are the shared in the RF system?

lizardking: If you remove that RF system, drop me a line and I may well take it off of your hands!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think the sound is *THAT* bad. Though it seems the older I get, the less I care to listen to music as loud. *sigh*

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have some questions and answers. I took the mids and highs out of my rockford system and the mids are 6x9 clarions and the tweets are 1". I don't know what you have but if there different i'd sell you mine since i dont' need them now. I was told by my dealer also that the utility bed is a now or never thing and that the dealership could not put them in. Lizard i'd like to put in an aftermarket head unit also but have never delt with a factory in dash cd changer. when they make the aftermarked dash panel will i be able to keep the cd changer and just ad a din size head unit or will i have to give up the changer?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It is hard to believe that the utility rails can't be added later
because there are rubber/plastic plugs in the bed where they attach. So no holes would have to be located/drilled. They would be very easy to self install. It is a mistake on their part if they don't make them available. Some people like me can't afford them at the time of vechicle purchase but can get some cash later on and add them in.
Maybe a third party company will make them available later.

·
Registered
779 Posts
titan wish list

i like my titan, but next year (Christmas time) I plan to sell mine and get another titan..

...with the locking rear differential 4wd and the Fosgate stereo pkg with Bench (gotta have six seats).

sure it's wasting money, but hell i get 8 to 15 mpg on mine, with so much expense i plan to get it just right next time.

i wish i could opt out of the 3.36 final drive ratio in the Off Road package cause i think it's costing significant mpg [ if you're hard core off-roader then 3.36 is what you want]. i have to admit: i lke that snapply accleration off the line and having more power off-roading (but i still got stuck in 1' of snow- had to be pulled out: no locking differential)

and next time i'll buy out of state (CA) to get the pickup without the CA catalytic converter. i know for my 200 jeep wrangler the CA catalytic converter reduced the v6's horsepower by 10, to 170.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I would have liked to avoid the lower ratio rear-end as well.
The towing capacity without was still plenty sufficient for my needs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Damn, you all are making me nervous on my choice of the big tow package. As long as I get 14 - 16 mpg, I'll be happy. Especially if the truck is snapier off the line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that it depends on how much you're planning to tow.

I don't need the huge tow mirrors, as the racecar and trailer that I tow aren't that wide.
I'm only towing about 5500lb total, and only 4-6 times a year.
I would have preferred slightly less max towing capacity for better daily mpg.
I do like the prewired trailer brake arrangement though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts