Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last night I go to take the garbage out to the curb and as I open the garage door, I notice my truck running in the driveway. I think to myself...hmmm, that's strange, but I do have a remote starter so I go in the house to grab the keys and hit the remote start button to shut it off and nothing happens.

So I immediately get upset with my wife for obviously leaving the keys in the ignition and the truck running after she came home from the supermarket a few hours earlier. But, when I get inside the truck, there is no key in the ignition and the ignition is in the off position.

I observe the truck is running in what I consider to be "remote start" mode. Meaning, the truck engine is running at idol RPM, the daytime running lights are lit up, but there are no dash lights, no radio, no heater running, etc. However, I can put the key in the ignition, turn it to the on position and all those things come to life. Because of this, I assume it not shutting off has something to do with the remote starter. However, with the ignition turned to "off", the key removed (truck continues to run) I am able to hit the brakes which normally shuts the remote start off and still the truck runs. In fact, I am able to put the truck into gear and drive it, even with none of the accessories receiving any power. For sure, if I were to try to put the truck into gear with the truck running under the remote start command, the thing will instantly shut off. So this is very troubling indeed.

So, I decide that I can either let the truck run itself out of gas, or I can pull the ignition fuse to shut it off. So I pull the ignition fuse and the truck shuts off, but now my dash lights are lit up, all of them, with no key in the ignition.
I figure there is a good chance that I am going to run the battery dead with that going all night so I disconnected the battery cables from the battery posts.

And this is where I am with this problem. Right now, I have a Nissan titan with the battery disconnected and the ignition fuse pulled, sitting in my driveway.

Can anyone here offer me a suggestion what this problem is? What am I looking at having to do to get it fixed?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
It sounds like your alarm/remote start is messed up.

Do you know where the alarm brain is installed? Might try removing the alarm fuse.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Two people I know had this problem caused by a defective remote starter. There is no way I know of that this has anything to do with your truck itself. I would be calling the remote starter company. This is the exact reason why I don't have a remote starter...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have taken the truck to my local Nissan dealer and they referred me to the place that had installed the remote starter.

They have removed the "brain" and fuses for the remote starter and have told me to drive the vehicle for a week to see if the problem is solved with the remote start being disabled.

I will keep this thread updated with any further developments.

I hope the problem is as simple as a faulty remote start, but something tells me it's not that. :bangit:

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
I have taken the truck to my local Nissan dealer and they referred me to the place that had installed the remote starter.

They have removed the "brain" and fuses for the remote starter and have told me to drive the vehicle for a week to see if the problem is solved with the remote start being disabled.

I will keep this thread updated with any further developments.

I hope the problem is as simple as a faulty remote start, but something tells me it's not that. :bangit:
I bet you are wrong and the problem is now gone! :teeth:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah, I agree with vipzach. I heard of this problem many times and it was ALWAYS caused by faulty remote starters. I have NEVER heard of a vehicle without a remote starter doing this.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You have FrankenTitan!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...

So after having the remote starter removed from my truck, the problem still existed. So it was not the fault of the remote start.

So I took it back to the Nissan dealer who spent the day diagnosing. At first, they assumed it was the control unit that is under the fuse box in the engine compartment. However, they discovered that the problem still existed even with a new one installed.

So it turns out that the wiring harness that runs under the passenger side of the vehicle and carried the wires for all rear electronics including, tail lights, fuel pump, fuel gauge, trailer lights, etc. had taken a hit from something. Part of the harness was crushed and a few of the wires are shorting out.

So they are saying that the wiring harness needs to be replaced. I am being quoted $1700.00 for the work (parts and labor) and though I feel like choking over the size of the bill, I am faced with no option but to go ahead and pay for the repair to be done.

If there is more to tell, I will update again.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Update...

So after having the remote starter removed from my truck, the problem still existed. So it was not the fault of the remote start.

So I took it back to the Nissan dealer who spent the day diagnosing. At first, they assumed it was the control unit that is under the fuse box in the engine compartment. However, they discovered that the problem still existed even with a new one installed.

So it turns out that the wiring harness that runs under the passenger side of the vehicle and carried the wires for all rear electronics including, tail lights, fuel pump, fuel gauge, trailer lights, etc. had taken a hit from something. Part of the harness was crushed and a few of the wires are shorting out.

So they are saying that the wiring harness needs to be replaced. I am being quoted $1700.00 for the work (parts and labor) and though I feel like choking over the size of the bill, I am faced with no option but to go ahead and pay for the repair to be done.

WOW! Any idea who or what could of crushed those wires??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW! Any idea who or what could of crushed those wires??
No clue.

I have the factory installed step bars on the truck as well. So, there really is no way for something to come up and hit the wires as a rock or tree would hit the steel mounting arm from the step bar. So my best guess is that something spun up from the front passenger tire and whacked those wires.

Possibly some ice or something like that.

I don't offroad with the truck so it had to be some sort of road debris.

·
Premium Member
20,127 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're not the first one to have that wiring box/harness get damaged. I recall another Titan owner that had theirs damaged.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm having the same problem and I don't have a remote starter. I replaced the ECU in order to get the truck to crank and now it wont shut off unless I pull the ECU out.

·
Registered
463 Posts

You might want to do a search on here, because I think someone did replace that entire harness them self. From what I remember, they had the melted wires from the tail pipe rotting out. Unless there is a secondary harness to the rear of the truck, I think it is the same one that you were having replaced and I don't think it cost half of what the dealer quoted you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this problem show up with my truck for the first time. I do not have a remote start function. Any other new updates other than the potential wiring harness damage underneath the passenger side of the truck?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts