Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this is fully addressed somewhere else, perhaps someone can re direct me.

However we were driving our Titan to the store yesterday and had absolutely no issues. No odd sounds, no loss of power, nothing. We come out of the store and go to start the truck and it has plenty of power to crank non-stop, but it won't start.

My feeling is that it is the fuel pump because I don't think the engine is getting fuel, but it seems strange that it randomly just doesn't start out of the blue. We tried jump starting it just in case it was the battery, still didn't work. Again plenty of power, just no ignition. Spark plugs and all that are fine.

We jumped on the back and I hit the pump and gas tank a few times, still nothing at all.

I was curious if there are any quick solutions I could check? Maybe something disconnected somehow, or something I could do to get the fuel to move. Perhaps it's clogged up somewhere? Any way to at least get it started so I can get it to the dealer (it is still under warranty)

It's a 2006 V8. It only has 60k miles on it. We've had it for less than 3 months so it hasn't been taken in for an oil change or anything yet.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hmmm....when I had intermittent starting problems, but power, it was a dying 9 yr old starter. That starter got replaced with a faulty one, so the problem persisted. Got it replaced under warranty and never had any trouble since. That was in my other truck.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
certainly sounds like a fuel pump issue. Just had to replace the one on my ranger recently, same symptoms exactly. But start with the relay for it. In general, best to start with the most simple, cheapest and easy to rule out suspects and then move on to the fun stuff like dropping a gas tank as the others are eliminated. I haven't checked on my Titan, but most times you can DC a fuel line under the hood and switch the key all the way on briefly (last click before cranking). if it shoots gas out towards the south 40 then the pump is operating, if not you'll get nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing some research I found that the IPDM boards are faulty for this generation of Titans (well the ECU relay at least). I went to change the relay, but decided to check the VIN. Turns out the dealer hid the fact that this truck never went in for the recall to replace the ECM relay.... Carfax shows it right away, but the version they showed me didn't list any open recalls....

Anyways, I swapped the relay with another relay and I get the same thing, but one thing changes. When I crank the engine it does the same thing, but after taking out the relay and putting it back in and I crank the ignition and stop, it has this loud buzzing sound that continues for a few seconds after. Sounds like it is coming from within the cabin and not the engine itself or the IPDM board. It's hard to explain, but its a really loud distinct buzzing sound. (I heard it outside the truck when it happened)

It only does it once, then it never does it again. A while ago It also happened one time after I turned the heater on, I quickly turned it off and the buzzing stopped, turn the heater back on and no buzzing. Is it shorting out somewhere?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts