Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 21' ultralite camper (3500 dry & 4200'ish with tanks full etc...) and am eyeballing a 2017 diesel Titan XD with low miles.

I am still new to RVs/towing/trucks etc...

We are also planning on buying a 4 seater razor (or some variant) to be transported on the bed (I've seen various configurations, it seems to work?). The 4 seater UTVs seem to weigh roughly 1700 lbs.

My question is, is it safe? The math all seems to work out, but I wanted to hear from Titan owners.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts
I'd stay away from the diesel. Way too many problems with them. Loading something like that in the bed is going to limit your towing capability.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those side by sides are too wide to fit in the bed. You can fit a quad or maybe a youth sized side by side but not the bigger ones.

Heres my 2017 non XD with 26' Jayco and my old Yamaha 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those side by sides are too wide to fit in the bed. You can fit a quad or maybe a youth sized side by side but not the bigger ones.

Heres my 2017 non XD with 26' Jayco and my old Yamaha 4 wheeler. View attachment 545772
I was thinking of the ramps which have the side by side's cab on the roof of the truck at an angle and the rear axle in the pickup bed. Or the platforms which are flat and are above the walls of the bed (although it may stick too far back and be against the battery/tanks of my camper).

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts

Heres my 2017 non XD with 26' Jayco and my old Yamaha 4 wheeler. View attachment 545772
Are the front wheels even on the ground? Perfect example of what NOT to do...

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts
All the weight is behind the rear wheels. Nose of the trailer is down, front of the truck way high. The rear end has to be sitting on the bumpstops. Putting weight in the bed, plus tongue weight of the camper is way too much. That can't be a fun tow to the location.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought payload was what the truck will carry in the bed/cab and was a separate calculation from whatever is hooked up to the hitch?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
All the weight is behind the rear wheels. Nose of the trailer is down, front of the truck way high. The rear end has to be sitting on the bumpstops. Putting weight in the bed, plus tongue weight of the camper is way too much. That can't be a fun tow to the location.
Smitty, what you're missing here is that the guy's weight distribution (WD) system is all messed up, if it's even been set up at all. It almost looks like all the tongue weight of the trailer is directly on the hitch, and no WD applied. The WD is supposed to return the front of the truck to level, not leave it way up in the air like this. There are more comprehensive guides to each WD system's setup, but shortening it to two major steps, it's supposed to go like this:
  • Truck hitch ball set to the height where the trailer will be level when hitched and WD set correctly (easiest is to measure to the ground between the trailer tires and set the truck hitch ball to that height when on level ground)
  • WD set to return truck front to level when tension is taken up.
Look at the way the front of that truck is way, WAY high. There is not even near enough weight transfer to the front, and this is a potentially dangerous situation with the front tires unloaded like this. Loss of steering input is very likely.

You can compensate somewhat for the load in the bed with the WD system...

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts
Everything counts for the weight limits. The trailer will have tongue weight, usually 10% of the total weight, everything in the bed, everything in the cab (people included).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Titan XD diesel is great truck, I just hauled 38ft trailer for 6 months and10,000 miles from Tx to
seattle across I 95 and south through Rocky Mountains

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
As has been said, the key differentiation is between towed weight and payload. Tongue weight counts as payload, since its carried by the axles/springs of the truck.

The description of WDH function above is also good. Remember that the WDH serves the purpose of shifting weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle, and onto the axles of the trailer as well as onto the front axle of the tow vehicle. This is important because it keeps everything distributed and makes sure traction, steering, and tracking down the road are all as well managed and efficient as possible.

At the end of the day, you have to know the payload capacity of your truck, what gear/passengers weight you're carrying, your tongue weight, and your trailer weight, and manage from there as far as total weight and distribution goes.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts
Once you get things set up properly, and don't overload, towing can be enjoyable. Closer you get to the max, or beyond, white knuckle towing is not going to be fun at all. Your co-pilot will let you know real quick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are the front wheels even on the ground? Perfect example of what NOT to do...
That angle shows it more extreme than it really was but I didn't adjust my hitch after adding my quad. It drove fine but I'll take a second look and measurements next time I'm prepping a trip.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The ATV only weighs 400lbs but if I have any room left to adjust I can try that next time I load up.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,184 Posts
So you have close to 1000 lbs on the rear end, not counting passenger weight and any other supplies in the truck. It all adds up quick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Perfectly happy with my 2006 Off-road + towing package and airlift helper air springs towing a 7500 lb 28’ TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 21' ultralite camper (3500 dry & 4200'ish with tanks full etc...) and am eyeballing a 2017 diesel Titan XD with low miles.

I am still new to RVs/towing/trucks etc...

We are also planning on buying a 4 seater razor (or some variant) to be transported on the bed (I've seen various configurations, it seems to work?). The 4 seater UTVs seem to weigh roughly 1700 lbs.

My question is, is it safe? The math all seems to work out, but I wanted to hear from Titan owners.
My 2Cents: I have a 2017 Titan (Non XD), but, I have found that the factory numbers just do not add up. But, on the XD diesel, I think you are maxed at around 12,000 if I remember. As long as you get the equalizer set exactly correct, most of the time, these trucks can really pull alot of weight. Our TT is 9000 lbs, and it took alot of adjustments before I got the sweet spot, and, to where the front end did not seem like it was about to loose traction. Best of luck to you, and, if I had it to do over again, I would get the XD.... Not sure about the diesel, but, Cummins is normally a great motor. Thanks,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts