Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is topic of much heated debate in these forums, whether or not XE model Titans are prewired for a brake controller. I posted a thread, actually my first, and it pretty much went no where as far as responses go or any solid advice. Maybe folks were sick of haggling over the issue, whatever, in any case here is the the deal with the XE's. They are prewired in every aspect for trailer brake controllers except Nissan doesn't run the nice, convenient connector under the dash, they leave the wiring behind the driver side left floor kick panel. I had a very reputable RV center do the brake control install and it only cost about $90, parts and labor. Maybe that's not as cheap as just as the plug and play pigtail included with the LE and SE models, but $90 is alot cheaper than a full wiring job by an RV/auto electrician. One of the two fuses you get with the factory ordered class III hitch package (the only class offered by Nissan, there is no class IV, only the class IV weight distributing ball mount, not the bolt on tow hitch, trust me I ordered a class four and Nissan sent the class IV weight distro ball mount, that's how I know) is for fusing the prewired Battery AUX line, a nice feature as the battery power is disconnected when the ignition switch is turned off. All things being equal if you get the OFF-Road package with the XE, as most people with an XE seem to, you get the same rear-end in the LE/SE Big -Tow package. After all is said and done the only real difference you don't get would be the heavy duty battery(big deal) and the telescopic side view mirrors(nice). Everything else on the XE is the same. All titans are oil cooled and transmission cooled so that's a huge towing bonus. Only wanted to post this info as I felt there was no clear-cut info on XE brake control wiring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's interesting that my dealer never knew that. That is how I ended up with the SE instead of the XE. They actually bought the truck back because of this reason. I think with the big tow you get a bigger tranny cooler and you get the tranny temprature gauge which I find super nice. If you look at every other manufacture's tow package for there trucks they don't include towing mirrors. I never could understand this. Finally someone did something cool with the package.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
WOW. Well, I just went outside and disassembled some things down there and I can't find it. Maybe you could walk me through exactly what I am looking for. Is the pigtail going to fit in a loose connector under there? I don't see anything that I want to go cutting into split loom to look for. Help!?

Sounds like I would need to know some wire colors to go splicing into. Any pictures or a list of wire colors that cross over to the pigtail would help alot. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake controller wire location

Hello, I just spoke with the technician that installed my controller and I've also looked myself for the location of the prewiring, as I tried on my own to locate that plug. In the left floor panel, drivers side, there are two receptacles, the top receptacle is the prewiring connect for a brake controller. There is also a cable assembly with a white square multi-pin plug but that is not it. I ordered the pig tail sub-harness from Nissan as I didn't get it with the truck and the tech used it as a wire color code for verification. The plug end unfortunately didn't fit the pre-wired receptacle so the tech bypassed it and wired directly into the controller prewiring which was a one to one connect as all wires on the factory pig-tail and the prewiring perfectly matched. The plug end of the pig-tail he cut-off, and also hard wired to the controller, so both connects, the one to the receptacle wiring and to the brake controller were hard wired, he made good use of the factory pig tail huh. As mentioned in the first post all fusing is in place because of the factory prewiring so that should be straight-forward, I am an electronics tech in the military but thought what the heck, 90 dollars is no biggee and if the RV tech I used has installed controllers on 04 Hummers, Escalades etc.., pricey vehicles for sure, that I could trust his judgement on my Titan. Sure I could solder a few wires together but, I'm not an auto electrician who does it everyday. The tech double-checked all wire paths despite the prewiring as an extra confidence check. He was done in barely an hour. I don't mean to say have a tech do it, just that the info on the controller even from dealer mechanics is sketchy and I like the piece of mind from knowing an expert confirmed my beliefs that the vehicle was pre-wired.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well, that makes more sense. Putting in my alarm, I had all those panels out and did not find a connector that the pigtail plugged into. I'll just look for one (regardless of fitment) that has all the same color wires, obviously the colors were consistent, even near the floor, if your tech followed the pigtail as a guide.
Thanks alot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
XE prewiring

I am trying to install a brake controller in an XE and cannot locate the wiring harness either. I wondered if anyone has pictures of the connector that is in the kick panel. I looked in the drivers side left kick panel and found 3 connectors not the two as previously mentioned. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Basically, you have to cut into the harness running behind the dash, and the color wires will match. Just solder them up from your pig tail, then cut off the connector on the pig tail and wire that to your brake controller unit.
In other words, there is NOTHING to plug that pig tail into (the one that came with the truck or that you bought from parts dept.) under the dash if you have the XE model. Cut the tape on the bundle of wires, look for the corresponding colors to the pig tail, and start splicing.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Did anyone ever take a picture of this plug? I wish I had seen this before I wired mine. I might change my power to run off this though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.