Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I had no idea when I bought my truck that I'd be looking at over $40.00 just to fill up! Regular unleaded is at $1.79 at my local BP station, and I just saw on the news that it could go as high as $2.30 before the end of summer. Unfortunately, I've decided to only drive my Titan on the weekends to save some cash. It's a good thing that I still have my '93 Hardbody to commute to work with during the week.
I am curious as to what some of you will do if gas prices continue to rise? Has the price of gas influenced the way you drive? How high will gas have to go to make you think twice about unleashing those 305 horses?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Down here in San Diego, we pay any where from $1.99 (from the indy-gas) to $2.45
Ive been driving my old 71 blazer for the last 5 months...ahah Its been fun :( Trying to save up for my down payment on my canteen green.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The price of gas has definitely sobered me up on running out and putting $30K+ on a new Titan (Smoke, titanium, LE, KC 4WD w/ big tow, off-road (e-locker yea) and side air bags). Not that I haven't thought about it much. However, my little toyota 6-banger gets about 19 mpg in an 18 mile stop and go commute. That's hard to give up. Because I don't have the room for three vehicles it has to be one or the other.

So, for now I will not be part of the economic recovery and hang on to my $30k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Titanic Tiff said:
Man, I had no idea when I bought my truck that I'd be looking at over $40.00 just to fill up! Regular unleaded is at $1.79 at my local BP station, and I just saw on the news that it could go as high as $2.30 before the end of summer. Unfortunately, I've decided to only drive my Titan on the weekends to save some cash. It's a good thing that I still have my '93 Hardbody to commute to work with during the week.
I am curious as to what some of you will do if gas prices continue to rise? Has the price of gas influenced the way you drive? How high will gas have to go to make you think twice about unleashing those 305 horses?
My other vehicle is a Prius, which gets just over 44 MPG overall. It gets well over 50 downhill with a tailwind. Down steep hills it gets over 100 because the gas engine shuts off. If there were a reasonable hybrid truck on the horizon I would wait, but as it is right now I am waiting for a fifth wheel hitch to be approved before buying a Titan. I need a slider with that short bed. I once went over 45 minutes with the MPG calculator reading over 100 MPG. Fillups cost about $15. Gas here in Benson, AZ is $1.749 per gallon at the cheap station, higher elsewhere as of the end of March 04.

My other truck takes 100 gallons. Fortunately I don't have to fill it up often.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have Yellow GL1800 Goldwing for my commutier. It gets 42MPG, no A/C, but does have a kitchen Sink :hahano: I live in Phoenix, where summer can be brutal, but I have a cool vest which works a little like A/C so I survive the 38 mile ride home in 117 degrees!

I should get my Titan tommorrow (if Dealer doesn't screw me), MPG looks bad, although not when you compare it to other full sized trucks, my second choice with the RAM Hemi! I want it to play and haul things, and as a family transport.

We had a hard body, and then decided to do the gas thing and bought an Outback, but **** it can barily pull it'self let alone 2 quads. So sold it for a big lose. Cars suck for resale value.

I can hardly wait, hence why I'm up at 4 AM! :smoke:

·
Registered
41 Posts
My company pays for my gas....unless I'm on vacation. Also, I plan on ordering the Banks Monster Exhaust system. From the thread about the exhaust system, it seems to increase mpg by about 15% or so plus other performance benefits. Of course, the biggest mpg factor may be the lead foot we all have driving this great truck.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rising Gas Prices

The pricing of gas is getting pretty ridiculous. I live outside of Los Angeles and drive 30 miles each way to my job in Hollywood. I almost canceled my order for my Titan when news reports said that gas prices would get to $3.00 per gallon by the summer. Now THAT sucks. However, I tighted my belt one more notch, took a deep breath and went ahead with my order. Like you, Titanic Tiff, I plan on using the truck on weekends for household chores and the occassional camping trip. Eventually, I'll take it to work once prices come back to reality - you know, when Bush is voted out of office. Oooops, did I just get political???? :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regular unleaded has been hovering between 1.50 and 1.60 here in SC. I'm on my third tank of gas so far, and have averaged a little over 15.5 MPG. This has been mostly in-town driving. My previous truck was a 95 Dodge Ram, and the MPG aren't really any different. When I bought the Ram, I could fill the 26 gallon tank with a 20 dollar bill. Now, it would be 41 dollars, LOL.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Titanic Tiff said:
I live in Hawaii and pay over $2.00 for the lowest grade 85 octane. I normally run high octane in my previous vehicles w/V8 but since the specs, say you can run 85 octane that's what I do. Actually if you have been following the news it's been kinda scary about the future of petrol. In a few years we may be just washing and polishing them while they sit in our driveways and catch "MASS TRANSPORTATION". Go to other countries and you'll quickly notice how they get around we definitely suck it up!Does the Titan do Methanol or ethanol whatever they call it? I don't see the sticker in the gas compartment like I do on others. I think the manual said it does. I remember the gas shortages in the 70's we had to fill gas on days designated by your license plates first number beginning with an even or odd number. YIKES

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can someone explain the current situation? New legislation? Foreign policy with Iraq? Greedy oil industry milking us? Unrest in the middle east? Effects of a bad economy?

I know the prices are going up... but WHY?

:huh:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Titanic Tiff said:

Oh! I forgot one more thing when we all can't afford to pay for a gallon of fuel or they sucked up the last dinosaur remains and we're just washing and polishing our cars sitting in the driveway. Don't forget to continue sending your monthly payment to your favorite bank or credit union they'll be waiting! Remember Madd Max!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard it's basically supply and demand. Supply is low and demand is high, hence the price goes up. It seems the refineries can't increase production and OPEC is cutting back on the oil supply (at least that's what they're saying on the news).
After reading different posts of what others are paying, I don't feel so bad anymore. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay it if I want to keep my truck. Although, if I was looking to buy a Titan today, I might just wait to see if the rumored V6 model or the diesel model appears in a year or so.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Titanic Tiff said:
I've heard it's basically supply and demand. Supply is low and demand is high, hence the price goes up. It seems the refineries can't increase production and OPEC is cutting back on the oil supply (at least that's what they're saying on the news).
After reading different posts of what others are paying, I don't feel so bad anymore. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay it if I want to keep my truck. Although, if I was looking to buy a Titan today, I might just wait to see if the rumored V6 model or the diesel model appears in a year or so.

Your user profile lists 2004 Nissan Titan. Are you delaying your purchase on your second Titan?

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
hwwaaahhhhh said:
Can someone explain the current situation? New legislation? Foreign policy with Iraq? Greedy oil industry milking us? Unrest in the middle east? Effects of a bad economy?

I know the prices are going up... but WHY?

:huh:
Too many Texas oil men in the White House ?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
For all those that get their gas from the Texas area, get your checkbooks out - there was a huge fire at a refinery tonight and you can bet they are going to use that to raise prices yet again.

Oh well, if I didn't love driving the Titan so much this might actually bother me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
An uneducated opinion. Manifold influences create our current environment principally what we pay today was decided yesterday via forward sales (hedge funds) “sort of retro thinking forward looking”& as the dollar falls oil goes up. Chicken or the egg? Meanwhile OPEC says we have plenty of reserve, and is currently threatening to cut back output creating perhaps further broader instability. The bright side is not every OPEC member and outside member is following suite. In addition we are in a seasonal transition. In the winter we have heating to consider thus greater consumption but coming out of this cycle is not always predictable. We loose some negotiating ability when reserves are high & we always wish to have ample reserves during winter months. What our current inventory is I don’t know but I presume it’s higher than usual. Anyone read where Oil Dutch Shell just lived up to its name with a classic shell game? Greatly over represented inventory, “were sorry and embarrassed” is what I read in one report. I wouldn’t be surprised if we ride this current price out for a few months but hopefully it won’t rise much more & will decline again by May-June. Anyone care to correct, educate or predict?

End of May I'll be fishing off Chub Kay & it might just cost throught the hose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take a look at what's changed since last year at this time. Iraq is now pumping more crude to market than they ever have since 1991. We didn't have a particularly bad winter, not warm, but not brutal. There is no "active hostilities" (a relative term) going on in the Middle East compared to last year. We didn't use up all our domestic supply, there are no new regulations in place since last year. There is a new full-sized pickup in the North American Market (there, I kept it on topic), but I don't think that's it.

So why a 20%+ rise in the last six months??

Because it's payback time for Saudi Arabia. Let's face it, they control the lion's share of the proven reserves in the world. They can single handedly influence the price of crude, and therefore gasoline. They opened the spigots in early 2003 so we could go into Iraq and not pay the price at the pump then, we're just paying for it now.

I wish I had a fuel cell powered pickup.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts