Nissan Titan Forum banner

Titans need backpressure my A##

16K views 221 replies 33 participants last post by  DRTYAZN 
#1 ·
Here is a video from a member on CT. He was running 14.0X forever with 07+ exhaust with 2 spintec mufflers. Now he's running just straight pipe after the headers with 2 14" magnaflows and ran a 13.7. He has NO X pipe or Y pipe on his truck. We argue on here about the X or the Y being better and now we have a member running this....LOL

#2 ·
I see some of my friends there! haha. I saw him run that and I also looked under his truck and yeah he has 2 round 14"s under there, no merge pipe. He also has tt and diy ram air.

#4 ·
We will see:) I agree with that, but has anyone ever tried a Y pipe setup and the straight pipe setup back to back, same day at the track? Nobody ever tests **** on here!!:) J/K I will maybe this friday, I'll keep ya'll posted:)

Reactions: BBtruck
#8 ·
UMMMMMMMMMMM.......................O.K.?? How is it not suitable for the rd?
Back-pressure is probably the most commonly misused word in the automotive industry.

As long as you reset your ECU a low to no back-pressure exhaust will do great, hands down.

No you wont, the power curve is just going to move as with any engine modification it will modify your power curve.
Exactly^^^^ If your tuned for it, it will outperform all others! That's why people run straight headers or cutouts right behind the headers:) I guess I'll have to prove all these guys wrong again. LOL They also told me a cutout wouldn't give me gains. I gained .1 every single run with it. I'll do it soon.

#11 ·
well i think what DS is doing is being productive instead of being negative why dont we all encourage him because knowledge is power! good research and find now back it up and prove all the non beleivers wrong...im with yah brotherrr!

#13 ·
id love to run 3" exhaust on my truck but i do some towing and id like for the truck to be able to use the grunt that it has to move whatever it is im towing behind it.

The part i like about a 3" exhaust is we can get rid of some of the CIS that most of us have.

#14 ·
I agree that if you tow/haul a lot it's not the best idea. As far as being loud, no way will it be as loud as my current single bullet set up. LOL

PS: I'm getting (2) 2.25" Borla XS mufflers this week:) I won't even tell you from who and how much, ya'll would really hate me then:) I'll PM you the results 08crew. If it helps improve my ET in the 1/4 mile I don't want anyone knowing except for the guys that care about 1/4 mile times. I'll get flamed for posting results of an improved track exhaust setup by all the haters!!

#19 ·
Any backpressure isn't good for an engine. But remember that an exhaust setup is only as good as the other modifications before it. The intake, throttle body, intake manifold, heads and cams all dictate where the power will be made. I thought about doing a 3" true-dual setup on the Titan. But without any other options for an intake manifold/throttle-body the VK56DE is strictly a low-end/mid-range motor. It's not made for high-end performance where a true-dual or any extreme flow system would shine. I also have speculations that the VK56DEK (07+ up motor) might have more then just IVTC in comparison to the earlier VK. Why stick an entirely different cam control system and intake manifold on a VK without opening up the head up a bit? :) I'll be finding that out soon enough.

So for the VK56DE, I think a 2.25" true-dual (ie. NISMO) would be an ideal setup to retain most of the low-end/mid-range but also gains some ponies in the higher end.

#21 ·
Thats why Im going to try 3ft of 2.25" pipe with the 2.25" borlas on ea side. The 3ft of pipe will keep the exhaust velocity up. Ive been reading tons of posts where guys gain .1 to .2 with a retune (addin fuel) with open headers or straight pipes off the headers. Ill try it after I run my current setup to see my header gains. If it doesnt work, oh well:)

#22 · (Edited)
If I had it my way I would just eliminate all catalytic converters, JBA shorties, sim off the rear o2s since all they're good for is catalyst efficiency and throw some magnaflow 14" 2.5" I/O round resonators on right after the headers and then dump them right then and there. So it's basically headers -> resonators -> dumps. It will be gnarly loud but I think eliminating the y-pipe would show some interesting gains in the high end. Then it's all up too getting a better intake manifold to really magnify those gains. Something with short runners, velocity stacks and a nice meaty plenum would be ideal.

The VK56DE has a ton of potential that has yet to be unlocked.

#23 ·
Thats basically what Im trying, ill keep ya posted.

#25 · (Edited)
#30 ·
Before cams? Just headers?

#35 ·
All I can say is, hope you didn't pay much for that............:ftard:

#36 ·
I don't even have access to a pipe bender or a lift and I can do sooo much better than that junk. Sorry for being an azz but that ranks up there with some of the worst exhaust fabs I've seen in quite some time. If you paid over $150 for that mess, you got ripped. One of the many reasons I don't take my vehicles to any exhaust shops unless I know the fabricator personally and I physically can't do it myself.

#37 ·
After I get the money I'm going to try a 2.5/3.5 Y pipe setup if the straight pipes off the headers don't work:teethmast Got the borlas so cheap I have to try it.

#39 ·
:rofl: you guys are bad... give the the guy a break... it's a Frankenstein exhaust setup... I'll get a picture of mine... but mine looks decent, IMO... dual 2.5" pipes to a custom Y into my 3" muffler inlet... I may just go true duals, depending on deerslayer's testing... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.