Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - I've just joined this forum to decide on which truck would suit me best on the Big Island of Hawai'i. I'm planning a move there within the next few months, and know from many previous visits an off road capable, full sized pickup is pretty much a necessity. I've narrowed the search down to a Titan Pro-4X (my first choice, obviously), a Silverado 1500, and a Toyota Tundra, all of them in Crew Cab config. I picked these from reviews, mostly, but also because they all have dealers on the island. I noticed that there are a few members here from Hawai'i, and I would like to get their opinion of these three (if you considered the Chevy and Toyota when you got your Titan, of course). And I'm also interested in hearing from any of you about how you feel the Titan stacks up against the other two. Mahalo! MrTurveydrop

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Titan is the best bang for your dollar - by far. Every truck has it's pros and cons, many of them only you could decide what they are. Have you test drove any of them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anmut - I've driven everything but the Pro-4X, as no dealer had one in stock. But they were supposed to arrive by now, so I need to make the time to test drive it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just purchased my Titan after spending 2 months researching and test driving the different models (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan). I got the Titan because it was the best compromise between features and costs. A loaded Titan was cheaper than the Tundra CrewMax SR5 I was looking at.

With the closeouts on the 2007 models, I almost got a Dodge Quadcab for $11K off MSRP but couldn't get all my car seats to fit. The Dodge MegaCab was more than my Titan with options.

Had money been no object I probably would have gotten a Tundra CrewMax because of the adjusting back seats.

I didn't like the Ford because of the hesistation when accelerating. That delay could be an issue when towing and I need power immediately.

The Chevy was nice but because I couldn't get a longbed unless I went to the 2500 for more $$$ it wasn't in the running long.

In the end it was Titan vs Tundra and for what I could get for the $$$, the Titan won hands down. My wife likes the LWB version because she thinks the short bed trucks with CrewCab look odd.

I have no regrets on the Titan. It's by far the best and most capable truck I've owned (this makes truck #6). So far I've had 2 Chevys, 1 Ford, 2 Toyotas (small T100 class).

·
Registered
844 Posts
As high as gas is in HI, you may want to consider a diesel (if it will give you an increase in MPG). However, it may limit your choices of stations.

The good thing is that traffic really isn't that bad on the Big Island, so you won't waste too much in traffic.

Where do you plan on living, Hilo, Kona, etc?

We lived on Oahu for 3 years, and the Titan seemed to be one of the more popular trucks there, at least for the locals. The mainlanders (military) seemed to favor Big 3 trucks, but locals like the Japanese makes.

FWIW, I think they have the ferry running there now. You may can buy on one of the other Islands for a better deal and just ship it over on the ferry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts