Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concidering purchasing a 5th wheel travel trailer with a pin weight of approx. 1100 lb to give my new Titan some exersize. I was told that 1/2 ton trucks do not make good tow vehicles for these types of trailers. The salesman at the Hitching post said I need to be more concerned with the GAW(gross axle weight) of the truck than the maximum payload (1453 lb). Does anyone know what the GAW is for the Titan?(should be in the owners manual)
Help!

Motman

·
Registered
294 Posts
GAWR for the rear axle on mine is 3,800 lbs. What model Titan do you/will you have? I would not recommend towing a 5th wheel with the Titan. It's a tuff truck but you really need the payload capacity and axle rating of the 3/4 or 1 tons from the big 3 for that kind of towing application.

Karl

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It can be done, but I agree with Karl. Stick with a Tow behind of about 7500 lbs and enjoy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Titan's towing capability

Motman said:
I'm concidering purchasing a 5th wheel travel trailer with a pin weight of approx. 1100 lb to give my new Titan some exersize. I was told that 1/2 ton trucks do not make good tow vehicles for these types of trailers. The salesman at the Hitching post said I need to be more concerned with the GAW(gross axle weight) of the truck than the maximum payload (1453 lb). Does anyone know what the GAW is for the Titan?(should be in the owners manual)
Help!

Motman

Motman, I have towed a 5th wheel for 4 years with a Toyota Tundra Access Cab 2X, and it performed very well! The King Cab Titan I ordered with big tow pkg etc will do the job as well only better! My 5th wheel weighs in at 6850 lbs dry weight, and if you use the 80% rule, that means 7,360 Lbs is a breeze! Heck, those RV Boat & Trailer guys hauled a 7850 lb boat & trailer combo around and voted Titan the "Tow Vehicle Of The Year!!!" Besides, it is easier to control a 5th wheel than a regular trailer as you do not get the "tail wagging the dog syndrome". Have a great day guys!

Campsmoke :cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did someone say Tundra??

Campsmoke,
Nice to see someone here agrees(?) Tundras are not that bad of a truck. I hope you liked yours. I had an access cab, until I had my children grew up. Then, I got the Double Cab. Maybe when I "grow up" and start hauling big things, I will get a Titan. Peace.

TundraTouc

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
82 Posts
tundratouc said:
Campsmoke,
Nice to see someone here agrees(?) Tundras are not that bad of a truck. I hope you liked yours. I had an access cab, until I had my children grew up. Then, I got the Double Cab. Maybe when I "grow up" and start hauling big things, I will get a Titan. Peace.

TundraTouc

:cheers:
[/QUOTE]

Or the next generation 5.8L V8 w/360+hp/400+tq 3/4ton tundra. But if it was now, the titan would be it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Motman, the only reason they might be telling you it's too much for the titan without saying "titan" itself is because they're probably biased. They say "1/2tons can't" just so they can rule out the titan. We tundra owners get the same biased treatment when trying to rent work equipment. "Sorry, I can't rent you a car dolly, you need a ford to be able to tow that" is just one of the lame excuses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you should be able to find all your wieght ratings on the door jam. Im not 100% how Nissan does it but every truck i have ever had has a sticker whith all that on the driver side door jam.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pin weight of 5th wheel

campsmoke said:
Motman, I have towed a 5th wheel for 4 years with a Toyota Tundra Access Cab 2X, and it performed very well! The King Cab Titan I ordered with big tow pkg etc will do the job as well only better! My 5th wheel weighs in at 6850 lbs dry weight, and if you use the 80% rule, that means 7,360 Lbs is a breeze! Heck, those RV Boat & Trailer guys hauled a 7850 lb boat & trailer combo around and voted Titan the "Tow Vehicle Of The Year!!!" Besides, it is easier to control a 5th wheel than a regular trailer as you do not get the "tail wagging the dog syndrome". Have a great day guys!

Campsmoke,
What is the hitch (pin) weight of your 5th wheel? Do you think there will me any issues installing the 5th wheel hitch in the bed if I have a utilitrac system?

Thanks!
Motman

·
Registered
105 Posts
Titan's towing capability

Motman said:
Campsmoke,
What is the hitch (pin) weight of your 5th wheel? Do you think there will me any issues installing the 5th wheel hitch in the bed if I have a utilitrac system?

Thanks!
Motman
Hi Motman!

The dry hitch weight[pin weight] is 1150 lbs. I can't see any issue installing a 5th wheel hitch in the bed. The Titan I have on order[LE King Cab - 4X4 - big tow pkg - spray - in - bed liner - etc] has the utilitrac system, and when I looked at an LE in the showroom the system appeared to be level with the rest of the bed, so I don't forsee any problem at all! I will be removing the hitch - tonneau cover - remote command control and air horns from my Tundra this week as it is a lease and did not come with these extras. Trying to sell my tonneau cover now. The only thing I am leaving on is the Air-Lift system I had installed. You will certainly enjoy pulling a 5th wheel! If you have ever towed a conventional trailer you will be amazed at the diff!

Have a good one!

·
Registered
280 Posts
what the hell is a 5th wheel? And if this truck can tow 9,900 or 9,500lbs. or something like that, why would 1,100lbs be a problem to tow?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5th wheel definition

Batman229 said:
what the hell is a 5th wheel? And if this truck can tow 9,900 or 9,500lbs. or something like that, why would 1,100lbs be a problem to tow?
Batman,
A 5th wheel is a type of travel trailer that attaches to a hitch similar to a big rig inside the truck bed . Instead of to a hitch behind the vehicle. A truckbed can only handle so much weight on the axle. Usually a 3/4 ton truck, diesel or dually is used to pull this type of trailer (F250, F350). Some 5th wheels are light enough (hitch/pin weight) to be attached and pulled by a 1/2 ton truck. (Titan, F150, Tundra ect. size vehicle) If you have ever seen a trailer that overhangs the truck bed, you have seen a 5th wheel.

Motman

·
Registered
280 Posts
yup i know what your talking about. Thanks motman. I have seen people pulling huge horse trailers with that type of setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts