Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Titans out there w/an overdrive button? If not what's the equivalent? I used to have a Tacoma w/this feature if a wanted to speed up on the freeway I'd just press this button and take off ..
THX

·
Super Moderator
162,264 Posts
Not any unless that's a feature of the 2008's that I haven't heard/read about. I bump my center console shift over into 4th if need be. Usually don't have to. This transmission responds pretty well IMHO.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Overdrive is built in. If you want to turn it off hit Tow Mode beneath the radio. This is the same as turning your OD off and will switch you back into 4th.

·
Super Moderator
37,334 Posts
anmut said:
Overdrive is built in. If you want to turn it off hit Tow Mode beneath the radio. This is the same as turning your OD off and will switch you back into 4th.

NOPE! ... Will stay in 5th when you hit that button.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
RobKar said:
NOPE! ... Will stay in 5th when you hit that button.
Really?! So that holds you in 5th - I was always told NOT to tow in overdrive. Can someone clear this up for me?

·
Super Moderator
162,264 Posts
anmut said:
Really?! So that holds you in 5th - I was always told NOT to tow in overdrive. Can someone clear this up for me?
It won't exactly "hold" you in fifth. Your tranny will still shift itself up and down as it sees fit. And fifth is an overdrive gear so it's NOT recommended to tow in that gear. Some do, when towing very light weights and haven't had any issues. But towing heavy, you put too much strain on the tranny trying to tow in fifth. And your tranny and engine both can run hotter towing heavy in fifth.

I'd forgotten about the column shift having the button on it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
TOW MODE just changes shift points in 1st and 2nd gears...that's all it does. Our center shifter equipped trucks, and the new 08s, are all the same. When you want to be out of OD, you just pull the shifter towards you which puts it in 4th. You only need to use this is you're towing very large loads, but can be handy in situations where you find the tranny hunting from 4th to 5th too often while on hills.
I believe column mounter shifter equipped trucks have an actual OD button because it would take too much attention for them to physically go from 5th (D), to 4th (4).

·
Super Moderator
37,334 Posts
anmut said:

Yep, what the other guys said. To clear this up Tow mode will still allow 5th gear and all the other as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the answers, but I'm still confused, so if I want to suddenly just go faster IN THE FREEWAY should I just shift to 4D? I have an 08 no overdrive button, you guys know too much about cars...

·
Super Moderator
162,264 Posts
crymeariver said:
Thank you all for the answers, but I'm still confused, so if I want to suddenly just go faster IN THE FREEWAY should I just shift to 4D? I have an 08 no overdrive button, you guys know too much about cars...
Yes. That would do the trick. :lol:

Edit: Or you can just mash the pedal really hard. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the info guys - I would've been towing all summer in 5th assuming that with tow mode on it took it out of OD.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
crymeariver said:
Why would you shift at all on a freeway? That's not what it's for. Wanna go faster on the freeway? STEP ON THE GAS! Todays automatics, ours especially, are quite intellegent and knwo exactly where they need to be for the driving conditions. If you're towing or offroading or hillclimbing or driving in slippery conditions, that would be when you'd want to maybe do a little shifting yourself. Otherwise, put it in D and let it be!

·
Registered
210 Posts
When you "shift out of O/D" all you are doing is going from 5th to 4th, or on many other vehicles 6th to 5th etc. You do this to lower the gear thus increasing revs. You can increase revs just as easily by pressing on the gas, and usually the truck will downshift anyway! No need to play with the gear shift (unless you are towing or something). Keep your eyes on the road, look ahead...and mash the gas!

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
I can remember when cars and trucks were starting to go to a 4 speed w/overdrive or o 3 speed with overdrive, the dealers were advising the only time to use your overdrive was on the highways. They thought the drive ratio or gearing would be too much strain for daily city driving.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Compared to my Chevy with a 3 speed, the Titan takes very little throttle input to downshift on it's own. It's one of the things that sold me on this truck.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
roy365 said:
Tow mode? All that does hold your shift points longer.
I thought it kept the torque converter from locking up? :confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts