Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was Changing my oil the other day and was not paying attention and added to much. At cold and not idling for a good 30 minutes the oil level is right at the high mark on the dip stick, after idling it drops below the High mark but not much. Think i'll be ok or should i have to take some out?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
You are perfectly fine! A "General Rule of Thumb" is an engine can be + or - 10% total volume and be safe. So, if you are on the line, you have nothing to worry about. Some Titans take 6.5 Qts to reach the Full Line, some take 7.0 Qts to reach Full. I use 7.0 Qts every time, have 80,500 miles with no issues.

Reactions: Book0825

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you sir.......

·
Registered
563 Posts
My truck takes close to 8.5QTs to read full on the dipstick while running. Its so weird. I thought it was a dipstick/tube problem, but I replaced both and it still reads the same. Mines an 04.

·
Premium Member
21,414 Posts
Like 04BlackTitanLE, my Titan takes more during an oil change than the manual calls for. It's usually around 7.5 quarts. I am rather patient when I drain the old fluid out but I kind of doubt that my patience accounts for .5 to 1 quart of fluid.

Too much oil can cause problems. I think there is an issue with foaming when it's too full or something like that. I have the Fumoto Drain Valve so if I put too much in it's very easy drain just a little bit out. I also take a sample of my oil at each drain interval and send it off to Blackstone Labs. The drain valve makes getting a sample easy.

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
79 Posts
as far as i know if you put too much oil in the oil pan the crankshaft will dip itself a little in the oil (depending on how much oil you put in) and foam the oil and this is very bad because your oil pump cannot pump foamy oil. it will cause the oil pump to cavitate if ran for too long. and if your oil pump isnt pumping that means nothing is getting lubricated.....nothing geting lubed=very bad.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My truck takes close to 8.5QTs to read full on the dipstick while running. Its so weird. I thought it was a dipstick/tube problem, but I replaced both and it still reads the same. Mines an 04.
You are joking? You don't read the oil with the engine running.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You are joking? You don't read the oil with the engine running.
I don't see why that's a problem? The oil is circulating through the engine while running and there isn't that much down in the pan, especially when offroading and having the engine at odd angles I don't see why this is a problem... The oil isn't frothy so its not hitting the crankshaft.. I do let it sit for like 20-30 minutes when its draining though. Its been fine for 3 years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't see why that's a problem? The oil is circulating through the engine while running and there isn't that much down in the pan, especially when offroading and having the engine at odd angles I don't see why this is a problem... The oil isn't frothy so its not hitting the crankshaft.. I do let it sit for like 20-30 minutes when its draining though. Its been fine for 3 years.

The Titan uses a OHC motor so a lot of oil sits in the heads. Thats another reason to follow the rule to check the oil you put the vehicle on a flat surface and wait about 30sec to a minute and then check.

You have to much in your truck unelss it has a larger cooler or other aftermarket mod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts