Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What general mods does it take for a Titan to reach the power/acceleration of a Tundra 5.7? I have read a little on Tundras and I'm not sure, but have heard they do not have chips/tuners available which would limit them greatly and left me wondering if the Titan is a more performance capable truck... Just wondering a little about performance comparisons of the two... Anyone know much on these issues?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
well to start off by saying is the Tundras ain't that fast at take off like the titan...........so you have an advantage their but yea guys those with mods chime in....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd really like some resolutions to which truck is more performance capable because most races/comparisons are stock vs stock, and the Titan is still right in there.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
well the titan has 5 gears while the tundra has 6 so that is why our Titans take off faster.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright... From a ECU standpoint, they kept saying something about how the Titan had a piggyback design and could be altered for the better, but the Tundra had a internal ECU design or something that did not allow for ECU modifications... Do u know anything about that?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
i believe ive heard ppl talking about that, and if im correct UPREV tuning should be a great help with the problem. PM jaygrace he knows about the piggyback problem.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I'm wondering cause my 05 has reached 105k miles and around Christmas I'm wanting to get something under warranty and would hate to get a Tundra when I could get a nicer Titan for cheaper and make it faster with a programmer... especially if the over expensive Tundra can only be modded as far as bolt ons go...

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Alright I'm wondering cause my 05 has reached 105k miles and around Christmas I'm wanting to get something under warranty and would hate to get a Tundra when I could get a nicer Titan for cheaper and make it faster with a programmer... especially if the over expensive Tundra can only be modded as far as bolt ons go...
well see the UPREV aint a hand held programmer......so its reliable and get every drop of HP out of you Titan. Hand held programmers dont even get close to what UPREV does......

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
from what ive heard the tundras have better cam timing adjustments. which would make more hp's stock thoughout the powerband. the titans seem to die off after around 5k rpm while the tundra can pull though there entire powerband. thats what im waiting for Uprev to figure out..cam timing adjustments in the T's once thats done tundra can kiss our a$$'s goodbuy IMO :eyebrow:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
what are you talking bout figure out cam timing?? lol uprev has known how to change cam timing since sept/oct of 07.. just cause they don't allow the end user to adjust it doesnt mean they dont know how to do it.. they can do it inhouse on thier dyno or thier pro tuners can but they wont release that to the enduser cause they dont want the liability of you jacking ur motor up

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
so why cant they make it safe for the end user?? thats one of the only reasons im not interested in Uprev. im not trying to down talk them but why cant it be a safe tune?? and why does the titan die out before 5k rpm?? im still under factory warranty so im not trying to add mods that will void it

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
so why cant they make it safe for the end user?? thats one of the only reasons im not interested in Uprev. im not trying to down talk them but why cant it be a safe tune?? and why does the titan die out before 5k rpm?? im still under factory warranty so im not trying to add mods that will void it
the titan dies out before 5k rpm's cause of the ****ty cam design.. no car or truck in stock form is a racecar.. you have to build it.. don't expect a truck to perform like a dragster if ur not willing to change things like tuning, headers, cams, differentials, tranny upgrades..

Add in Jim wolf cams and you will have plenty of top end power, mine doesnt die out at all since adding the cams and having modded b-pipes with jba exhaust

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
yeah and vvt cams are good as well :D they come stock on 07+ titans and tundras are overrated.the one main thing that holds us back from most of our power is this damn wot restriction our truck comes with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So in general will a Titan with a programmer/exhaust/intake outrun a Tundra with exhaust and intake (assuming a programmer is not available for the Tundra)?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
So in general will a Titan with a programmer/exhaust/intake outrun a Tundra with exhaust and intake (assuming a programmer is not available for the Tundra)?
well, we cant compare these 2 trucks, the titan doesn't have the same capabilities as the tundra... tundra starts with a lot more hp and torque and the kill is that you can get a trd super charger from toyota when you buy your tundra.... sooooo with that said the tundra destroys us!!!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
step 1: plug in sawzall
step 2: cut hole in floor board
step 3: start kicking

Reactions: TAFOYA'STITAN

·
Registered
370 Posts
well, we cant compare these 2 trucks, the titan doesn't have the same capabilities as the tundra... tundra starts with a lot more hp and torque and the kill is that you can get a trd super charger from toyota when you buy your tundra.... sooooo with that said the tundra destroys us!!!
not quite sure your completly right. i know toomny is installing a full turbo. if he can get the hp and tq he wants, gets the traction he need i believe he can give a sced tundra a run. my 07 kc is 600 lbs lighter. 317 hpfw tundra 381 hpfw
i think hp ratings may be almost even comparative. so say i install that turbo kit krc is installing, (they are telling us a minimum package is hitting 400rwhp). get the tranny built and a TT lsd i think i can give any sced tundra a run. that's my opinion though. so the turbo is starting at 5psi. build my tranny like i said tt lsd and up the boost get to 450 rwhp then im good

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
the one thing that sucks about titans compared to tundras, is that the titan doesn't have a factory LSD...and i'm sure the tundras do as does ford, chevy.

the tundra-chevy 5.7 seems like a detuned/updated version of the old chevy zr1 engine.
(no explanations or criticizing for that statement please lol)

zora arkus-duntov Tundra..lol

also, you have to be kidding me the a stock 07+ w/vvti etc makes only 317hp at the flywheel. sounds way under rated... don't stock 07 titans put down 290-300rwhp?

·
Registered
370 Posts
the one thing that sucks about titans compared to tundras, is that the titan doesn't have a factory LSD...and i'm sure the tundras do as does ford, chevy.

the tundra-chevy 5.7 seems like a detuned/updated version of the old chevy zr1 engine.
(no explanations or criticizing for that statement please lol)

zora arkus-duntov Tundra..lol

also, you have to be kidding me the a stock 07+ w/vvti etc makes only 317hp at the flywheel. sounds way under rated... don't stock 07 titans put down 290-300rwhp?
yea your right with the lsd wtf nissan!! rear end, cams, trans all not that great
i did see on the nissan webiste also something about the rearend
"2-wheel Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) – 4x2"... what is that ???

well thats what i was told, take a look at the nissan website
this is strait from the nissan website
VK56DE – Endurance 5.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 engine
317 hp @ 5,200 rpm
385 lb-ft of torque @ 3,400 rpm
. around 290-300 rwhp is "right" in quotes because it is hearsay not for sure. i am going to go to the dyno here in az soon to find what im putting out right now.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
^^ There isn't anything detuned about a Tundra 5.7. It is a beast plain and simple. It does loose more HP to the wheels than a Titan so that begs the question, who is over rated and who is under rated?? No stock Titan makes 290-300rwhp. The pre VVT were making 265-270 or so and the VVT just over 280. Tundras are kicking close to 330rwhp and that HP with teh same weight truck will smoke a Titan all day long, it's just the way it is. A Stock Titan can keep up with Crew Cab Tundra but the RCSB and Double cabs flat out will smoke a Titan. It sucks but is true.

So to answer the OP question. Figure out a away to get your Titan to 330rwhp and you will be able to keep with a Double cab but a RCSB will still beat you.

As far as the titan falling flat at 5k rpm, well that's Ok with me. The Titan was built and marketed to the towing crowd when no other 1/2 ton truck was rated more than 8000lbs. It is geared and tuned for awesome towing. The VK56 makes loads of TQ down low where it is needed for towing. I know a few Tundra owners that tow and even they have to drop their big 6speed trany's to 3rd on grades. if they would up the HP and TQ numbers some, add a 6sp, a 3.73 LSD read end and the Titan would out class the competition once again.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts