Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you tighten them all the way down where they compress the stock springs all the way or how did you do it? Mine are tight, tight, tight, and my truck runs so rough/tight almost like there are no shocks back there. I'm thinking about taking them off just to get a smoother ride again. Thanks, I know there are a few on here who have them. Also I lost 1/2" of height in the rear when I put them on.

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
I had the helper springs and they do make the ride stiffer. I replaced them with a Deaver spring pack from PRG, which also resists axle wrap, but makes the ride better, not worse. The spring pack replaces the overload leaf, so may not be suitable for you if you tow or haul heavy. If that is your situation, perhaps somebody else can help. Also, if you still have the OEM shocks, they may need to be replaced with some Bilsteins. My OEM shocks were trashed at 18K.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Did you tighten them all the way down where they compress the stock springs all the way or how did you do it? Mine are tight, tight, tight, and my truck runs so rough/tight almost like there are no shocks back there. I'm thinking about taking them off just to get a smoother ride again. Thanks, I know there are a few on here who have them. Also I lost 1/2" of height in the rear when I put them on.
That's why I chose a different route instead of the reverse mounted helper springs. All they are doing is pre-loading the entire spring pack. A couple of U/spring clamps will do the same thing when compressed against the overload spring.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why I chose a different route instead of the reverse mounted helper springs. All they are doing is pre-loading the entire spring pack. A couple of U/spring clamps will do the same thing when compressed against the overload spring.
Thanks guys, I'm taking them off! I'll look into some bilsteins, I'm wanting shocks anyways. The ride sucks with these!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm taking them off! I'll look into some bilsteins, I'm wanting shocks anyways. The ride sucks with these!
The HD Hellwig Traction Springs mount on top of the leaf pack and don't compress against the overload spring. That keeps the rear from being lowered a 1/2-3/4". They eliminate the annoying bump bump feeling when accelerating from a stop and gives the azz end a sure-footed feeling. Best $80 I spent 4.5 years ago.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The HD Hellwig Traction Springs mount on top of the leaf pack and don't compress against the overload spring. That keeps the rear from being lowered a 1/2-3/4". They eliminate the annoying bump bump feeling when accelerating from a stop and gives the azz end a sure-footed feeling. Best $80 I spent four years ago.
How much are these? Where did you get yours? Thanks

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
How much are these? Where did you get yours? Thanks
JC Whitney, they come in regular duty and heavy duty sets. The newer 08+ Titans can only run the regular duty set because the OEM spring clips were moved. 2004-2007 Titans can run the heavy duty set or the regular set.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is there any advantage or reason to run the Heavy duty traction springs instead of the regular ones? My T is stock ride height/suspension and stock engine etc. Do I need the HD's or will the regulars suffice?

BTW - JC Whitney is offering free shipping until 1/31/11 so I'll be ordering some either way, just don't see a point in paying extra for overkill (if it truly is overkill).

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Is there any advantage or reason to run the Heavy duty traction springs instead of the regular ones? My T is stock ride height/suspension and stock engine etc. Do I need the HD's or will the regulars suffice?

BTW - JC Whitney is offering free shipping until 1/31/11 so I'll be ordering some either way, just don't see a point in paying extra for overkill (if it truly is overkill).
The HD set is longer and wider. Will the regular set accomplish the same results? I have no idea if they will. I'm also at stock height with stock suspension.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ordered the regular set today. I figure it will be better than nothing. If I feel I need a little more help - building a set of traction bars sounds like a fun project for this spring/summer.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I put my traction spring's back on too, but i hate the annoying popping sound they make when it's wet out! I really need a set of traction bar's!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I put my traction spring's back on too, but i hate the annoying popping sound they make when it's wet out! I really need a set of traction bar's!
That's another advantage with the Hellwig Traction Springs, no noise whatsoever.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
How hard is it to install those Hellwig HD's? Extra traction for 80 bucks sounds fantastic
They bolt on top of the OEM springs and take maybe 20 minutes per side.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I still have the pair tha djmars bought a year or so ago...he still hasn't come and gotten them. My burnouts at the track went from feeling the back end was going to hop off the ground to it felt like I was spinning on ice with the Helwig helper springs.....I'm sure that helped the rear end tremendously

·
Registered
149 Posts
Installed my regular (not HD) Hellwigs today. They made a noticeable difference. The rearend feels like it's actually planted to the road now and if you stomp on the gas it instantly goes instead of hesitating and then making a bunch of noise.

I was kind of bummed when I read that you could get some helper springs at local auto part stores for $30, but after reading that they mount below the spring pack and cause some ride changes I'm glad I went with the Hellwigs. No noticeable ride change, but a heck of a lot better performance.

I'll post a follow-up once I get some more miles on them and once this 12-18" of (forcasted) snow melts. I have a feeling traction may be a bit sketchy for a little while.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Installed my regular (not HD) Hellwigs today. They made a noticeable difference. The rearend feels like it's actually planted to the road now and if you stomp on the gas it instantly goes instead of hesitating and then making a bunch of noise.

I was kind of bummed when I read that you could get some helper springs at local auto part stores for $30, but after reading that they mount below the spring pack and cause some ride changes I'm glad I went with the Hellwigs. No noticeable ride change, but a heck of a lot better performance.

I'll post a follow-up once I get some more miles on them and once this 12-18" of (forcasted) snow melts. I have a feeling traction may be a bit sketchy for a little while.
Thanks for the followup. Make sure you tighten them down enough so each V in the traction spring has contact with the top leaf.

Attachments

Reactions: gweasel77
1 - 20 of 24 Posts