Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those who use weight distribution, anti-sway and in general take their towing safety as the prime safety issue now have a new tool available to assess tongue weight. A caveat on this information....if you are pulling more than 10K gross trailer wt., what I bought won't help you since that's the limit of this 'scale'. Up to now, the gyrations for determining weight were just that; and in almost every case required the trailer to be unhitched and then using a conglomeration of bathroom scales and beam set ups, or a purchased tongue weight scale, or a drive to the truck scales fully hitched and loaded followed by some math that may or may not reflect what you were pulling in subsequent trips. Most people I know follow one of two paths...they just ignore the importance....or they do a SWAG (sophisticated wild *** guess).

A company (that I have no affiliation with!) has been rcvng quite a bit of very positive press for their engineered combination of manufacturing billet hitches that contain a ball based scale that is 'always on'. The importance is that
a: load adjustments are doable on the fly in real time during a trip without any of the previous methods of determining the tongue weight.
b: one of the primary issues with sway is that the tongue weight is too low, caused by the load behind the axle(s) dropping the tail.
c: a more accurate weight distribution tension is obtainable. There are other benefits as well. I'll point you to the web site of the manufacturer and you can get all the depth you need.

The PROBLEM with their billet hitch solution...it wasn't able to accommodate a weight distribution OR anti-sway component. So in effect it wasn't a solution for TT or larger 'toy' and utility loads that demand these for safety.

Now there is one from them that is incredibly economical.......... See this: Weigh Safe 2" and 2-5/16" Hitch Ball w/Built-In Scale - Stainless Steel - 10K GTW Weigh Safe Balls WSUN-1

It will replace the ball on your current hitch, and allow the use of your current set up for anti-sway and WD while giving a real time tongue weight. I bought mine this morning after conversations with the inventor yesterday, so at this time, I can't give a review.....other than my engineering brain see's this as a very elegant solution to a pain in the *** part of pulling my travel trailer.

The company web site for more details of the why, how, what etc...... https://www.weigh-safe.com/

·
Premium Member
20,968 Posts
Weigh Safe has a good reputation on the Ford Superduty forum and they're coming out with a 3" shank version. It's a slick ball mount for sure. But, you could just take your trailer to the local scale and get pretty much the same information for around $10. The one downside of Weigh Safe's regular solution (complete ball mount and ball) is that it isn't for WDH, it's just a straight ball mount.

Anybody in the Denver area is welcome to come by my house and use my tongue scale for free.

One more thing: knowing your tongue weight without knowing the overall trailer weight isn't that useful. That's why you need to take the trailer to a scale.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Another option not mentioned in the OP is a dedicated tongue weight scale. I've been using one for almost a decade with my Equal-i-zer antisway hitch that looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1000-Trailer-Tongue/dp/B007REJTGI

Like Hrtkd, if any Colorado Titan owner wants to check their tongue weight, let me know. But he's correct in saying that info isn't worth as much without knowing what the loaded weight of your trailer is.

·
Premium Member
20,968 Posts
David, we have the same brand of tongue scale. My toy hauler grosses at 11k so I bought the 2k tongue scale. At lower tongue weights yours is likely a lot more accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts