Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new ’07 Titan in March of this year. It came with a OEM three door tonneau cover, which I can’t seem to find listed anywhere as an OEM product. About three months ago, I notice that the brackets that hold the cover onto the bed of the truck had started to rust. I talk to the dealership that I got the cover from and they are giving me the run around over what can be done. They took pictures of it and said that they had to send it in to Nissan to see what their response will be before moving forward. They also said that in most cases like these there is little that can be done and I may be just stuck with the problem. Anyone else have an issue like this. I’ve attached a couple of photos of the brackets.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Consumers Affairs with Nissan. I will keep you all posted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I have to say, if it's indeed a Nissan backed option, I'd be damned if they'd tell me I'm stuck with it like that!!! That's just wrong! Do not take "No" for an answer. At the very least, I would have them replace it with the tonneau of your choice if they can't "fix" it. I wouldn't even accept a "fix" of that unit at this point. Nothing should rust like that in 5 months!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackbeauty said:
I have to say, if it's indeed a Nissan backed option, I'd be damned if they'd tell me I'm stuck with it like that!!! That's just wrong! Do not take "No" for an answer. At the very least, I would have them replace it with the tonneau of your choice if they can't "fix" it. I wouldn't even accept a "fix" of that unit at this point. Nothing should rust like that in 5 months!

I'm right there with you. Once the dealer told me that it was very unlikely that anything could be done, I opted to call Nissan Consumer affairs to put in a complaint. I have not gotten a answer in regards to what they will do yet but its been more than three weeks. I’m trying to be patient but my patients are starting to wear thin.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Can't say as I blame you there. Corporations don't always respond well. It almost sounds to me that the dealer found a "deal" and pawned the tonneau off on unsuspecting truck buyers. On the Nissan website they offer two tonneau covers, one hard, one soft. The hard one only has two (2) compartment lids........

Hard Tonneau Cover

Lockable independent storage for increased cargo security.
Lightweight, two-panel configuration for easy access to cargo.
Full-panel opening for ease of use and access to compartments.
Panels lift up easily with the help of gas struts.
The hard tonneau cover is not completely watertight. Do no store items under the hard tonneau cover that may be damaged by water. Remove ice, snow, and standing water before opening.

Soft Tonneau Cover

Zipper attachment for accessing bed from any side or corner
Rust-resistant metal alloy components
Rolls up neatly for storage
Easy tailgate access without removing cover

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blackbeauty said:
Can't say as I blame you there. Corporations don't always respond well. It almost sounds to me that the dealer found a "deal" and pawned the tonneau off on unsuspecting truck buyers. On the Nissan website they offer two tonneau covers, one hard, one soft. The hard one only has two (2) compartment lids........

Hard Tonneau Cover

Lockable independent storage for increased cargo security.
Lightweight, two-panel configuration for easy access to cargo.
Full-panel opening for ease of use and access to compartments.
Panels lift up easily with the help of gas struts.
The hard tonneau cover is not completely watertight. Do no store items under the hard tonneau cover that may be damaged by water. Remove ice, snow, and standing water before opening.

Soft Tonneau Cover

Zipper attachment for accessing bed from any side or corner
Rust-resistant metal alloy components
Rolls up neatly for storage
Easy tailgate access without removing cover

I find this pretty weird. I've been looking all over the web trying to find information on the Tonneau Cover that I have and haven't been able to come up with anything. Yet the packaging that I have along with the installation documentation clearly states that this is a OEM cover. The plot thickens :werd:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ecrawford said:
I purchased a new ’07 Titan in March of this year. It came with a OEM three door tonneau cover, which I can’t seem to find listed anywhere as an OEM product. About three months ago, I notice that the brackets that hold the cover onto the bed of the truck had started to rust. I talk to the dealership that I got the cover from and they are giving me the run around over what can be done. They took pictures of it and said that they had to send it in to Nissan to see what their response will be before moving forward. They also said that in most cases like these there is little that can be done and I may be just stuck with the problem. Anyone else have an issue like this. I’ve attached a couple of photos of the brackets.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Consumers Affairs with Nissan. I will keep you all posted.
I feel for you. You could take the brackets off and have them Rhino lined or LineX. They wont rust again after that. Good luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AF-Medic said:
I feel for you. You could take the brackets off and have them Rhino lined or LineX. They wont rust again after that. Good luck.

Thanks! Having them Rhino lined is not a bad idea. Never thought of that. Would be something I could suggest to the dealer if they don't come through.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here is the latest update. I called the service department today with the dealer that I got the truck from. He said the reason that it has taken me so long go get a response is because they have been without a district mananger for the past three weeks and that they didn't have anyone to run my problem up the chain to. He said that he just got information today that a new dealer has been assiged to their district and that he should be in town within the next two weeks. There will then be a time set up between the district manager and myself to get together so he can take a look at the truck.

What a big hassle for something that should be cut and dry. I guess bumper to bumper warranty doesn't mean bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ecrawford said:
So here is the latest update. I called the service department today with the dealer that I got the truck from. He said the reason that it has taken me so long go get a response is because they have been without a district mananger for the past three weeks and that they didn't have anyone to run my problem up the chain to. He said that he just got information today that a new dealer has been assiged to their district and that he should be in town within the next two weeks. There will then be a time set up between the district manager and myself to get together so he can take a look at the truck.

What a big hassle for something that should be cut and dry. I guess bumper to bumper warranty doesn't mean bumper to bumper.

I would go get a quote and see if the dealership will give you some freebies for your hassle. They are probably going to get you some new bracket's that will rust again. Spraying them should be fairly cheap and you will never have to deal with it again. What a PIA over some bracket's. Hate to see what would happen if it was something major. Good luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, new update. After waiting another two weeks for the dealership to work out something with this new district manager, I was told today by the service department mananger that the dealer does not need to see the truck and that the only thing they can offer is to paint the brackets. What a load of crap!!!

So I get back on the phone with consumer affairs from Nissan and let them know that this is not acceptable. They take my complaint and tell me that there will be another representive assigned from Nissan to act as a middle man between the dealership and myself to come to an agreement of how to fix this problem. I'm suppose to get this call tomorrow so I'll post more when I find out something.

As an additional note, the company who made the cover is not even in business anymore and they can't get replacement brackets. This just keeps getting better and better. What a huge hassle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update,

I finally got resolution to this issue today. After weeks of going back and forward with the service manager and Corporate Nissan, I finally decided to get in touch with the head manager of the dealership. With hesitation, he agreed that this was something that they should take car of and wanted to know what I had in mind. Just so happens that I had printed out copies of some other covers that I had been looking at and I just got my brand new Bakflip Tonneau cover installed by them today. A long road, but I’m now a happy camper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts