Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Extang Tuff Tonno which is a soft cover with the 3 aluminum rib design if your not familiar with it. While it does a great job at keeping my bed dry and is passively secure, I hate that I can't use my Utilitrac side rails with it. The Tuff Tonno attaches to the truck by using the side rails and that makes it impossible to slide anything beyond it (like my divider) without actually disassembling the entire cover brackets.

I'd like to find a cover, either soft or sectional hard, that will allow me to maintain a dry condition that's at least passively secure and will allow me to get full access of my side rails.
Is there anything out there that will get this done?

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
mine does everything you want. its the torza top soft bed cover

Torza, Torza Top Tonneau Covers, LOWEST PRICE on Torza Top Tonneau Covers

the clamps stay with the cover, so you just unclip the tail end and fold it up. you can then use the rails just fine. then just unfold and clip it back in place. you just cant have anything in the last 6 inches of the rails or so. I had to move my extender forward a few inches for the clamps.

It looks like the extang soft tri-fold uses the same style clamps.

·
Premium Member
22,376 Posts
I'm with beason on this one, too. I have the Extang Trifecta, and never had an issue with any of the utili-trac hardware.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was under the impression that the bakflip models allowed full access, you just had to flip the utilitrac around?? OR leave the utilitrack as is and just cut the backflip rail length wise and mount with rivets??

-J

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I don't think he's saying he has a problem with the Utilitrack hardware, but the fact that the tonneau mounts take up spots on the utilitrack so that accessories can't slide back and forth in the track.

I have the same issue with both my Trifecta and now my Leer. I had to modify (hack apart) my bed extender mounts just to get them to fit at the back of the bed so it was actually useful...and with that, it still won't slide because I have three mounts on each side rail blocking anything from sliding very far back and forth.

·
Registered
840 Posts
In my old T I pop rivited the cover to the bed rails...grant it was not a trifold design. It was an older worn out Sportmaster with snaps all around. Kinda liked it better since it didn't touch the utilitracks.

On the upside...my trifect looks better.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think he's saying he has a problem with the Utilitrack hardware, but the fact that the tonneau mounts take up spots on the utilitrack so that accessories can't slide back and forth in the track.

I have the same issue with both my Trifecta and now my Leer. I had to modify (hack apart) my bed extender mounts just to get them to fit at the back of the bed so it was actually useful...and with that, it still won't slide because I have three mounts on each side rail blocking anything from sliding very far back and forth.
Yeah this is the problem..

I have a bed divider that I love, but unfortunately in order to move it back and forth in the bed if I need to use the whole thing, I have to take the whole dam tonneau apart. Its mounts are attached to the rails of the Utilitrac on the sides and they're pretty much dead in the middle, so they make the movement of the divider about a PIA!

It looks like that one in the first post might work for me. I may also look into riveting the tonneau rails to the bed shoulders and see if that possible. That would save me the money of buying a whole new set up since I do like the Extang for everything other than this problem.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
You may want to see if you can modify how the bed divider fits into the utilitrack...maybe a washer that goes into the utilitrack and a wingnut on the other side. That way you could remove the bed divider without removing the tonneau...I was contemplating the same thing for the bed extender.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take a look at the TonnoPro at TonnoPro Trifold Tonneau Cover

It is a trifold that fastens under the bed rail lip. It can be installed or removed in a few mins with removal quickest. The cover fastens at the front and back of the bed close to the corners. It also opens and fastens at the front so that you can easily haul tall items. I liked mine, before the accident totaled my Titan.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you guys get some pics of how your tonneaus mount? I cant find a single Titan picture on any of the vendor sales pages. I'm nervous to order one and have it not be any better than what I have.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Avoid the ArmorLid, I've had two of their tonneau covers started to warp. The first defective cover installed by the dealer was quickly replaced. When the replacement cover started doing the same thing, the manufacturer refused to take it back and reimburse me. Since the dealer is no longer in business, they now claim the problem is related to my installing the cover myself. I was told that only the retailer I purchased the unit from could do the warranty return for reimbursement and that litigation against the retailer would be my only recourse. Go figure..... Please PM me on any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
Can you guys get some pics of how your tonneaus mount? I cant find a single Titan picture on any of the vendor sales pages. I'm nervous to order one and have it not be any better than what I have.

Here ya go.
latched

unlatched

open

off

the clamps are adjustable. they are on a threaded rod and you just spin them around to loosen or tighten. there are 4 clamps. two front and two rear. when the cover is off, nothing stays on the truck. even the cross bars fold up with it. the hardest part is getting it centered and strait. after that its 2 min on 2 min off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beason, thanks man! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Something doesn't require tools to get it out of the way of the divider.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered the Torzatop from Tonneau Cover World! They have a rep that's a member here and if you PM him, he'll give you a killer discount on any covers they carry. I don't think I can post what I paid, but it was lower than my lowest found price be at least $25!!! Can't wait to get it.

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
i like my torzatop. i got it lightly used for $120 shipped. Its not the most fancy, but does its job and does it well. i love the fact that i can take it off in under 2 min if need be.

have you done the power lock tailgate mod?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that's what sold me on it. I like the Extang that I have now, it does its job very well, but I just hate that I can't get full use out of my Utilitrac system becuase of it. It's also a PIA to remove and roll up and if you want to really use the bed, you have to find a place to store the ribs and rear channel bar. Just too much effort involved to get use out of my truck bed and Utilitrac.
The Torzatop seems to provide the easiest access to everything and if need be, comes off completely very easily.

I didn't make my tailgate lock power, but that's a GREAT idea. I never thought of it actually. Mine is always locked, no matter what it contains, so that would certainly be a convenient feature to have. Do you have a link to a thread about that?

Oh and thanks again for showing me those pics, those sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I got the Torzatop today and put it on tonight. It was a breeze, even in the dark. I can assure you of one thing, as much as I liked the Xtang, I won't miss it. This thing is exactly what I wanted. It's has two locks on either side that keep it secure and that's about all it needs. No interference with the bed divider and the Utilitrac system is almost completely accessible without doing a thing to the cover. For the few inches of space that would require me to move the top, its done in a few short twists.

Reactions: TitanBlue
1 - 17 of 17 Posts