Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It won't be long till I'm in the high 13's and I want to get a helmet before then. I looked at a few motorcycle helmets because the Simpson and Bell racing helmets seem to be pretty pricey. I tried on a few modular motorcycle helmets and the Nolan was not too expensive and seemed to be made well enough. The Shoei was nice but pretty pricey for something I'm only gonna wear for two minutes at a time inside a truck with no wind resistance. I will get a full face design, probably modular so that the whole front lifts up and not just the shield.

What helmets would you guys recommend for under 400.00 and why?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi PapaD,

Not sure what you mean by high 13's. Probably me - just a newb. Anyway, I ride a Kawasaki and a full face helmet all the time. Brand isn't critical - fit is. Make sure it's comfortable & snug and you'll be happy & safe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As far as helmets go :

Shoei's and Arai's are ar the top anong with Shark but with the Shark you have to have the right shaped head. After that you are looking at

Scorpion
HJC
KBC
AGV
Fuller
and more

Modulars:

Shoei
Nolan
HJC
and KBC

Just be aware that the modulars are alot heavier than others because of the extra parts to lift the front half of the helmet, Shoei being the lightest hence the higher price. Look at fetures also, removable liner venting and weight when you go to buy. Get some help from the salesman and ask questions if he is knowlegable he can help. Sorry I Work for a Motorcycle Distributor so been there done that and all the research before we sell them.
Look for something that is going to fit good, at first it should be snug but it will brake in. Again weight should be a factor...don't get the real heavy one just because it's cheap. (you will find out after wearing it what I mean)
Good luck on your quest....Have fun

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Any cheap helmet that is dot approved will work if it's a must for you. Just go to a motorcycle shop and there should be tons of them for under $100. I wouldn't bother with any of the expensive stuff unless you plan to be on a bike.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EVO8 said:
Any cheap helmet that is dot approved will work if it's a must for you. Just go to a motorcycle shop and there should be tons of them for under $100. I wouldn't bother with any of the expensive stuff unless you plan to be on a bike.
I figure as long as I'm going to buy one I may as well get one that is comfortable and will work for any situation other than funny cars or top fuel. I just hate to buy the same thing twice and I figure my brain has got to be worth at least 400.00, even if they just make head cheese out of it, lol.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The best thing to wear is the Snell approved with the SA2005 or SA05 label. It is a Car Racing helmet, and has a fire resistant interior padding. Snell M2005 or M05 is not for drag racing, but rather Motorcycles and GoKart. It is not NHRA Approved for our type of event. The Snell site explains the ratings clearly.

My track requires Snell, but does not check if it is SA, so many guys will buy the less expensive M2005 (or such M variant) which has same crash protectioin as the SA series, but is not fire resistant. SA means it is Fire Resistant, it can still be an open face style and be SA rated. Tracks will often look for the Snell, but ignore the SA vs M. They shouldn't, as a car is more likly to trap you in flames than a motorcycle or gokart would, hence the different ratings.

I bought my helmet, which was advertised Snell approved, but was not aware of the SA and M variation or specifications. It is a M series, but I will use it for now. It is a full face made by Zamp. I'd recommend a SA series as the best investment. Couldn't beat the Zamp price and style, it compliments my trucks graphics. I paid about $130 IIRC. Wish it was SA though. Many SA run about 180-250.

3 things convinced me to buy a helmet, and subsequently, a 3 layer Jacket at $160 and Pants at $130, by G-Force. (The Clothing has the higher SFI-3.2A/5 rating, giving it some other Fire rating of 26 vs. 11 for the cheaper single layer version they offer. The 3 layer is less expensive than the 2 layer Nomex of similiar rating.)

First was the original post by M4ck on a Thursday night, a couple months ago, about his purchase.

Second was that our local track had these things in the previous 2 months. A teenage girl crashed and went to the hospital, she was getting ready to be qualifying for a Pro license and running a Junior Dragster. A fellow who raced there for 20 years crashed and died. The night after M4ck's original post, I saw a minor crash and another car catch fire while staging.

Third, discussing this with some race buddies that night, they brought up the point of crashing, and it isn't just you, or your speeds, that you should be concerned about. The guy next to you may lose control and crash into you! Racing the left lane may be safer; if you are hit, it will likely be on the passenger side door, and you will hit the wall. Maybe he catches fire after hitting you? Rare, but real chance.

I also raced against a Mustang that night who was just a bit squirmy each time I ran against him. I actually let up first time, as I thought he had lost control and was in front of me, though in his lane. So, helmet was bought the next week, and clothing a few weeks later.

Definetely consider at least a Jacket for additional protection. It even makes you look faster! All of this cost far less than my crazy graphics did... Enjoy! :read:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
RKsTITAN23 said:
damn........... you need a helmet if you run 13.99 or lower? i think it starts at 12.99 or here
NHRA 2007 Rules require helmets below 14 seconds. I don't know IHRA. Longstanding rule though.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TitanBlue said:
The best thing to wear is the Snell approved with the SA2005 or SA05 label. It is a Car Racing helmet, and has a fire resistant interior padding. Snell M2005 or M05 is not for drag racing, but rather Motorcycles and GoKart. It is not NHRA Approved for our type of event. The Snell site explains the ratings clearly.

My track requires Snell, but does not check if it is SA, so many guys will buy the less expensive M2005 (or such M variant) which has same crash protectioin as the SA series, but is not fire resistant. SA means it is Fire Resistant, it can still be an open face style and be SA rated. Tracks will often look for the Snell, but ignore the SA vs M. They shouldn't, as a car is more likly to trap you in flames than a motorcycle or gokart would, hence the different ratings.

I bought my helmet, which was advertised Snell approved, but was not aware of the SA and M variation or specifications. It is a M series, but I will use it for now. It is a full face made by Zamp. I'd recommend a SA series as the best investment. Couldn't beat the Zamp price and style, it compliments my trucks graphics. I paid about $130 IIRC. Wish it was SA though. Many SA run about 180-250.

3 things convinced me to buy a helmet, and subsequently, a 3 layer Jacket at $160 and Pants at $130, by G-Force. (The Clothing has the higher SFI-3.2A/5 rating, giving it some other Fire rating of 26 vs. 11 for the cheaper single layer version they offer. The 3 layer is less expensive than the 2 layer Nomex of similiar rating.)

First was the original post by M4ck on a Thursday night, a couple months ago, about his purchase.

Second was that our local track had these things in the previous 2 months. A teenage girl crashed and went to the hospital, she was getting ready to be qualifying for a Pro license and running a Junior Dragster. A fellow who raced there for 20 years crashed and died. The night after M4ck's original post, I saw a minor crash and another car catch fire while staging.

Third, discussing this with some race buddies that night, they brought up the point of crashing, and it isn't just you, or your speeds, that you should be concerned about. The guy next to you may lose control and crash into you! Racing the left lane may be safer; if you are hit, it will likely be on the passenger side door, and you will hit the wall. Maybe he catches fire after hitting you? Rare, but real chance.

I also raced against a Mustang that night who was just a bit squirmy each time I ran against him. I actually let up first time, as I thought he had lost control and was in front of me, though in his lane. So, helmet was bought the next week, and clothing a few weeks later.

Definetely consider at least a Jacket for additional protection. It even makes you look faster! All of this cost far less than my crazy graphics did... Enjoy! :read:
Good advice and useful to be certain. Thanks for the write up and I will get a helmet that is SA05 rated and be done with it.
I figure at a minimum we should all be required to wear a helmet during our daily commute as well as to the track. Imagine, no more putting on make-up while you drive, the tragedy of it, lol.
Fire is always a danger and I too have seen some crazy stuff at my track happen to people that was not supposed to happen at their particular speeds. You just never know and better safe than dead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts