Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I go into a local tire shop to price out new BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's for the Titan and tell the salesman that I have the TPMS. He tells me that they can't put them on because the stems may not support the higher tire pressure (60 psi vs 35). :confused: Has anyone ran into this issue?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ask him why he wants to inflate your tires to 60 psi. Besides, the valve stems are probably rated for hundreds of psi. Also, the factory continental contitractrs have a max inflation pressure of 80 psi. He's an idiot. Does he post on this forum as 350chevytruck?

·
Registered
446 Posts
60 psi does seems a bit high. I know people who have E-rated tires who pump them up that much when a 4500+ lb slide in camper is in the back. But for normal driving, I would think 35-40 psi is what you would want.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i agree, he is a moron

tell to do it or you will go elsewhere

by the way
i am starting a new site
it is a forum like this one but i am an off-roader (when i can afford to be)

come take a look linky

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Nuke said:
Ask him why he wants to inflate your tires to 60 psi. Besides, the valve stems are probably rated for hundreds of psi. Also, the factory continental contitractrs have a max inflation pressure of 80 psi. He's an idiot. Does he post on this forum as 350chevytruck?
I have the same tires and psi rating. If they would not hold the 80psi. the dealer i bought the truck from would have removed the tires, they do not want a lawsuit over valve stems blowing out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments guys... time to go tire shopping :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your tire guy needs a lesson on tires. The recommended tire pressure goes on what the vehicle states, no matter what tire is on it. Now the max pressure is dependent on the weight, meaning if you have the max weight, then you use that tire pressure. If you want it to ride like a bulldozer go ahead and fill em up to 60 psi and wear the centers out...:huh:

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Wouldn't they need to be inflated that high to set the bead? Then dropped down to 35 psi or whatever the recommended pressure is???

·
Premium Member
58,375 Posts
Nuke said:
He's an idiot. Does he post on this forum as 350chevytruck?
That made my day.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
holy smackers!!! even with a load, I just don't see any sensible reason to be airing up to 60 psi... I had my tires up to 45 psi once for a 300 lb. bed full of gravel... the tires road nicely with the load, but the trip to get it loaded while empty sucked, so much bounce and felt every little groove in the roadway...

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I have the toyo open country m/t's, and when they were inflated to 40 the outside of the tires were showing wear. I put between 50 and 60 now and they are wearing great, I really don't notice much of a difference in ride either.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
54warrior said:
Wouldn't they need to be inflated that high to set the bead? Then dropped down to 35 psi or whatever the recommended pressure is???
You don't want to jack the pressure to set the bead. My Nittos have a bead set pressure right on them, 20PSI I think.

To the parent:
Shop is full of morons, seek better help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
helomech said:
I have the toyo open country m/t's, and when they were inflated to 40 the outside of the tires were showing wear. I put between 50 and 60 now and they are wearing great, I really don't notice much of a difference in ride either.
Do you still have the TPMS active? What size of tire do you have? Any problems?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts