Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I said I wasn't going to mod my new Titan... I lied.

But this is a small one. I took my slimline toolbox off the '04, and I always wanted to do this. I took the front Utilitrack rail off, cut it down to size, and bolted it to the tool box. Now I have the full utility back.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sammy you are a genius.
I remember reading in a previous post that our utilitrack has a substitute available at the home stores. Can anybody tell me what to ask for? I have the factory toolbox that slides in the utilitrack and it uses the track mounted on the bed behind the cab. It would be great to add a piece of that generic rail to the toolbox to regain the ability to put cleats there. I am thinking that it would be wise to add a reinforcing piece inside the box to spread the forces out across the length of the box and prevent it from pulling the track out of the box under force. Think I'll add another strip of track to my bed divider. It would work well there too.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorta out of the loop as to there being an alternative that would work with the Nissan accessories. You can however buy the rails from any Nissan parts vendor/dealer.

I thought about adding reinforcement on the inside, but after thinking about it, decided it is just as strong as if it were attached to the bed. That tool box has a bend flush against the track rail, so that adds to the strength. I used large washers on the inside as well. As long as everything is flush, it can't really pull away without damaging the rail itself first.

Still, I wouldn't strap anything too heavy down to it, I'd save that for the floor rails or corner hooks.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I found it. It's called unistrut and should be available in the electrical dept. of Home Depot, etc.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I found it. It's called unistrut and should be available in the electrical dept. of Home Depot, etc.
I did the same thing to my tool box. Except my locks are on the side, so I mounted the track higher so I didn't have to cut it.

FWIW: Unistrut is a brand name. I think the general term is "channel", or "strut channel". Other manufacturers are Cooper B-Line, Powerstrut, Super Strut, etc. The most common type is zinc plated steel. You can order $tainless, aluminum, fiberglass, etc. The Nissan utilitracks are aluminum.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Where's the best place to find strut that's different from the steel? H.D. had a 10' piece, galvanized for 9.90 a piece. Aluminum would probably be sweet.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where's the best place to find strut that's different from the steel? H.D. had a 10' piece, galvanized for 9.90 a piece. Aluminum would probably be sweet.
Check the McMaster-Carr link provided by Bestatchess above. If you are looking for a local buy, then it would probably be a bit more difficult (probably have to go to a metal supplier.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Electricians use strut all the time. Check electrical supply houses. You can get stainless too along with various brackets and mounting hardware for most applications. Stainless would be pricey for sure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yea, any electrical or mechanical (plumbing) supply house would carry uni-strut. Stainless and hardware would probably have to be special ordered. The strut is a bit smaller than what our trucks come with. Make sure one of your cleats fit in it before buying.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Where did you get that toolbox?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts