Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone know if the torque convertor locks up in third. I have a no fear titan that came with 2.94 gears and 35" tires. The wife and I bought a travel trailer which weighs 5500 loaded. I noticed tha truck likes 3rd gear (2800) at 55mph than 4th gear(2100) at 55mph, i just do not want to heat up the tranny. Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure if it locks in 3rd.

It's those 2.93 gears that are getting you. If the T likes it at those rpms, then by all means, do it! Mileage will suffer, but that's the price we pay to tow. LOL!

What kind of trailer you towing?

-Lab

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a Jayco 26bh, sticker on the cabnet says UVW is 4700 or so, and we tend to pack pretty light, she seems to have no problem towing it but oh the highway 4th seems a ;ittle low on the RPMS

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan (with full tow package) and I tow a 23' Sportsmen Travel Trailer which weighs in at around 5,500 lbs (fully loaded) and I tow in 4th and have NO problems with the tranny overheating. I have towed through the Canadian Rockies and only on a few occasions (climbing steep grades) have I had to downshift to 3rd (when my transmission temperature guage started climbing when I was in 4th).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts