Nissan Titan Forum banner

Torque convertor

1008 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  hunter
Just wondering if anyone know if the torque convertor locks up in third. I have a no fear titan that came with 2.94 gears and 35" tires. The wife and I bought a travel trailer which weighs 5500 loaded. I noticed tha truck likes 3rd gear (2800) at 55mph than 4th gear(2100) at 55mph, i just do not want to heat up the tranny. Thanks :confused:
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Not sure if it locks in 3rd.

It's those 2.93 gears that are getting you. If the T likes it at those rpms, then by all means, do it! Mileage will suffer, but that's the price we pay to tow. LOL!

What kind of trailer you towing?

-Lab

· Registered
577 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan (with full tow package) and I tow a 23' Sportsmen Travel Trailer which weighs in at around 5,500 lbs (fully loaded) and I tow in 4th and have NO problems with the tranny overheating. I have towed through the Canadian Rockies and only on a few occasions (climbing steep grades) have I had to downshift to 3rd (when my transmission temperature guage started climbing when I was in 4th).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.