Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does the Armada have a higher torque rating? what can done to the titan to achieve the same numbers? is it ECU related or Intake/Exhaust related?

BTW we just click 12000 miles on ours, time to lay the hammer down :futwice: :teethmast

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
sneaky, compression ratio is raised in the armada to increase torque and horsepower to COMPENSATE for the armada chunkiness. its all power to weight ratio relativity crap. :domohit:

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
i apologize guys, seems quad t may be right. compression ratios are the same however in the infiniti qx56 it demands premium fuel only. it must be a ecu thing... :teethmast

·
Registered
514 Posts
Prometheus said:
i apologize guys, seems quad t may be right. compression ratios are the same however in the infiniti qx56 it demands premium fuel only. it must be a ecu thing... :teethmast
Probably more advanced timing. At least we know there are more ponies to squeeze out of her. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
tortuga said:
sneaky, compression ratio is raised in the armada to increase torque and horsepower to COMPENSATE for the armada chunkiness. its all power to weight ratio relativity crap. :domohit:
Who you callin' chunkie? lol:rofl:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
tortuga said:

darnit...can I get mine fixed to want premium and work best with premium..that usually all I use anyway...

·
Registered
827 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
darnit...can I get mine fixed to want premium and work best with premium..that usually all I use anyway...
Why would you use premium? Our trucks run best on 87 octane.

Now, if you have changed your timing or the ECU then I understand your decision:3eyes:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
RxZ said:
Why would you use premium? Our trucks run best on 87 octane.

Now, if you have changed your timing or the ECU then I understand your decision:3eyes:

gotten this before BUT Im used to the premium just cuz my trans am, well thats all itd take and people say "ye right" BUT I PERSONALLY feel my truck actually kick with premium and not with regular...it even boggs down with regular and not with premium...it could be that the premium gas is just cleaner around here and reg is real dirty but who knows...I like it though and thats what I use so is there anyway to make my truck "run better with premium" since it "runs best on 87 octane"

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
gotten this before BUT Im used to the premium just cuz my trans am, well thats all itd take and people say "ye right" BUT I PERSONALLY feel my truck actually kick with premium and not with regular...it even boggs down with regular and not with premium...it could be that the premium gas is just cleaner around here and reg is real dirty but who knows...I like it though and thats what I use so is there anyway to make my truck "run better with premium" since it "runs best on 87 octane"
Yea, My Titan seems to have more snap with 89 or higher octane...i wonder if the ECU auto compensates

·
Registered
838 Posts
SNEAKY said:
why does the Armada have a higher torque rating? what can done to the titan to achieve the same numbers? is it ECU related or Intake/Exhaust related?

BTW we just click 12000 miles on ours, time to lay the hammer down :futwice: :teethmast
This has been covered before. Consider doing a search. The difference is miniscule. So small that testing the same truck on different days accounts for that much difference. The Titan test and the Armada test were not done on the same day and probably not on the same dyno.

And besides, the exhausts from the cats back are different lengths, just the slightly different exhaust could also account for this very tiny difference.

Don't lose any sleep over this. Other than the piping after the cats, there is no difference. The engines, the drive trains and ECU are identical. Premium fuel helps both vehicles the same way.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Armada said:
The engines, the drive trains and ECU are identical. Premium fuel helps both vehicles the same way.
pi3year, if this is the case then I retract my previous statements.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I guess you all understand that our "smart ECU" is capable of advancing timing until it detects knock. That's why you get 10 extra horses in all Endurance engines (Titan, Armada, Infiniti) when running premium fuel as compared to regular.

This too has been covered in depth elsewhere here after extensive testing.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Armada said:
I guess you all understand that our "smart ECU" is capable of advancing timing until it detects knock. That's why you get 10 extra horses in all Endurance engines (Titan, Armada, Infiniti) when running premium fuel as compared to regular.

I posted the same thing somewhere else after a similar question was ask. Few peoples call me a B.S.er:rockon

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did PM you and specifically asked you to give me the info on your source so I could put him and the powerplant engineer together. No reply from you.

Send it to me and I'll try to get them talking. Read your PM's. I'm going to forward it to you again. My computer says I sent it to you on 2/15 at 5:46 p.m. my time (Central).

·
Registered
838 Posts
Son of SQS: I have now gotten your reply and thank you for it. I'll give your tech's name to the powerplant engineer and see if they want to get together and discuss this.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Armada said:

We were told on this site, a year or so ago that the ecu has a pre-set timeing setting. If it detects a knock, it would only retard the timeing, and when the knock was no longer detected it would go back to the factory setting, but it would not advance the timeing past the setting.
I ran 4 tanks of premium and saw no improvement on the street, gas mileage or performance that I could tell. I do agree that it might help at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
838 Posts
rholland said:
We were told on this site, a year or so ago that the ecu has a pre-set timeing setting. If it detects a knock, it would only retard the timeing, and when the knock was no longer detected it would go back to the factory setting, but it would not advance the timeing past the setting.
I ran 4 tanks of premium and saw no improvement on the street, gas mileage or performance that I could tell. I do agree that it might help at the dragstrip.
Here is Juma's thread from a while back where he actually tested timing advance under load with different grades of gas.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/13805-testing-timing-advance.html?highlight=The+Head+octane+advance

You will need to set aside a few minutes and read the whole thread as his initial conclusion was same as yours until he realized that the ECU had to adjust and re-learn based on the increased octane. I guess the ECU reset would accomplish the same thing.

This supports the back-channel info we have been getting from Nissan that engines and ECU's are the same on the Infiniti QX-56 and on our Titan/Armadas and only difference is whether you are running regular or premium.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i read somewhere before i bought my Titan they told me the first dyno tests revealed over 500 hp's, but it may have been the indy car engines they build for the first few years. there is alot of power in reserve for our V-8 endurance engines so "POWER UP"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts