Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately due to my wanting a Titan immediately when the wife said it was O.K. to get a truck and before she could change her mind purchased an awesome Titan however it did not come with the tow package. If I wanted to order the truck w/the tow package the dealer said I would have to wait until June 04' ! I said no thanks I'll take this one right here. Anyway I'm extremely happy with it however a truck is incomplete without a means to tow properly. I went to the dealer today and they are quoting me an astronomical price to purchase the reciever hitch from them. The reciever itself is $457.92. They said I will need a flange assy. to properly mount the reciever which is:$303.03. Then of course the hardware such as bolts, connector,harness. Has anyone purchased aftermarket hitches that installed properly that is cheaper then this? I know Courtesy Nissan and another website that I can't remeber right now I think Marlboro Nissan claims to sell genuine Nissan parts, sell the recievers significantly cheaper in fact I seen one for $195.00 but the parts people at the dealership I spoke to said that they are not genuine Nissan parts don't come with the flange assy. or hardware and that I will not be able to mount it properly and that I will have to purchase all this hardware just to bolt on a reciever hitch! Anyway if anyone who did not purchase the tow package installed one could you let me know?
Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
hitches

that's a bunch of crapp from the dealer, all that increase is markup. if you buy an after market hitch, it will be design to bolt up to your truck. dot rated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
1Titan said:
I unfortunately due to my wanting a Titan immediately when the wife said it was O.K. to get a truck and before she could change her mind purchased an awesome Titan however it did not come with the tow package. If I wanted to order the truck w/the tow package the dealer said I would have to wait until June 04' ! I said no thanks I'll take this one right here. Anyway I'm extremely happy with it however a truck is incomplete without a means to tow properly. I went to the dealer today and they are quoting me an astronomical price to purchase the reciever hitch from them. The reciever itself is $457.92. They said I will need a flange assy. to properly mount the reciever which is:$303.03. Then of course the hardware such as bolts, connector,harness. Has anyone purchased aftermarket hitches that installed properly that is cheaper then this? I know Courtesy Nissan and another website that I can't remeber right now I think Marlboro Nissan claims to sell genuine Nissan parts, sell the recievers significantly cheaper in fact I seen one for $195.00 but the parts people at the dealership I spoke to said that they are not genuine Nissan parts don't come with the flange assy. or hardware and that I will not be able to mount it properly and that I will have to purchase all this hardware just to bolt on a reciever hitch! Anyway if anyone who did not purchase the tow package installed one could you let me know?
Thanks
That's hogwash 1Titan. Those sites carry the real deal which comes with the entire kit. I think it even comes with the relay that is needed but Derwud (Darryl) can confirm.

Karl

·
Registered
28 Posts
1Titan said:
Thanks
I have one word for you:

http://www.hitchesonline.com/nissian_cl34_titan_04.htm

$129.00 is a bit better than what the dealer is quoting, and I ordered one from these guys for my wife's Murano, and it worked great and went on without any problem.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Titannotextreme said:
I have one word for you:

http://www.hitchesonline.com/nissian_cl34_titan_04.htm

$129.00 is a bit better than what the dealer is quoting, and I ordered one from these guys for my wife's Murano, and it worked great and went on without any problem.
Thanks a lot. Hopefully they will ship to Hawaii. I tried nissanparts247.com they had a class III for $195.00 but I called them to confirm the $19.47 USPS shipping charge if it would apply to Hawaii and that caused a stir, they researched the matter and then said it would cost $120.00 to ship via UPS and now are refusing to sell the hitch to me saying it costs too much to ship.And right after I asked them they posted on the hitch advertisement they will not ship outside of the continental U.S.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Too bad, but look on the bright side you are a force of change on the Internet :cheers:

1Titan said:
I asked them they posted on the hitch advertisement they will not ship outside of the continental U.S.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Get the factory receiver kit. I think it's like $250 MSRP, and comes with the connector, bolts, and two ne relays that go under the hood. It's a Class IV.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try a local hitch place in your town. I just had a Class III installed by a local place and it was $228 installed including the hitch, wiring harness, 7-to-4 pin adapter, and some relay I needed to convert the wiring harness to work with Nissan.

I already had a receiver and ball mount so this saved me about $40.

Good luck.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bought a hitch on line and had no problems installing, other than balancing a 50 pound hitch while trying to put in the mounting bolts. You need a 16mm deep socket or wrench for the bolts. What helped was to place one end of hitch on a milk crate. Entire job took about twenty minutes. No scrapes or bruises.

Check whether you need the two relays. They are behind the battery. Mine were already there. The electrics are tucked up in the bumper, just left of center.

I'll get my paperwork later and give you the part numbers and costs. Was less than factory.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would check to see if Uhaul has a hitch. They make a good one and looks pretty nice if you get one of their round tubular ones.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jd1973 said:
I bought a hitch on line and had no problems installing, other than balancing a 50 pound hitch while trying to put in the mounting bolts. You need a 16mm deep socket or wrench for the bolts. What helped was to place one end of hitch on a milk crate. Entire job took about twenty minutes. No scrapes or bruises.

Check whether you need the two relays. They are behind the battery. Mine were already there. The electrics are tucked up in the bumper, just left of center.

I'll get my paperwork later and give you the part numbers and costs. Was less than factory.
Thanks JD. Looking forward to that info. Also Thanks for letting me know where the electrical's are.I have not really had the time to crawl under the truck much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am sure you have already purchased a hitch by now, but I thought I would weigh in on the issue. My Titan is a 4x2 without a tow package and I bought the Nissan hitch 3 days ago. It took about 20 minutes to install. The hardest part being adjusting the jack stands to hold the monster up for me. The factory hitch bolts right on and there is a plug taped on the bumper that plugs right into the hitch. It was ridculous how easy it was. Also torqued it to 101 pounds. As fas as price goes, there are 4 dealers in Memphis, TN and the prices varied a little. One dealer wanted $295, but the others were asking the MSRP $229.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
I guess I missed this hitch discussion as well. In effort to consolidate this info, check the post I made here. It's got the part number for the wiring harness ($12) and a link to where I bought my hitch ($130.) The majority of these aftermarket hitches are class IV rated. The only difference in the III and IV is the actual drop, the IV uses a weight distribution system. So don't let Nissan talk you into their hitch with false info.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got mine online for about 130 and put it on myself. I didn't want to bother with the electrical hookup, cuz i have no idea about that stuff, so i went to uhaul and they hooked it up for about 25.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts