Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to replace my front tow hooks with some clevice style D rings similar to what is on the Hummers. Has anyone on here done that already? If so I would love to see some pics and some info on where to get some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone doing that, and I don't know of anyone that makes a "bolt-on" type of kit that would accomplish this. Good idea for sure though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
2007 TITAN LE said:
I am want to replace my front tow hooks with some clevice style D rings similar to what is on the Hummers. Has anyone on here done that already? If so I would love to see some pics and some info on where to get some.
Hey if you find these can you post a link or pictures here? I'd be up for doing the same.

Thanks - J

:hi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I too would like a set. Chrome would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Sounds like it would have to be fabbed up...
And stop with the "chrome" it's a dang tow hook! :gunz:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Are there any other replacement tow hooks out there? I tried to pull someone out who was stuck, and it bent my towhook. I turned around and pulled them out with the hitch, but it sucks that they bent so easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
I've been down this road... frame mounted shackle brackets is what you are looking for. You'll still have to modify what ever you get, as none are made specifically for the Titan. If you can weld, this should'nt be to much of a stretch.
Then you can add whatever color clevis/d-ring you desire...even chrome! I painted mine to match the truck, but I can dig chrome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rhino404 said:
I've been down this road... frame mounted shackle brackets is what you are looking for. You'll still have to modify what ever you get, as none are made specifically for the Titan. If you can weld, this should'nt be to much of a stretch.
Then you can add whatever color clevis/d-ring you desire...even chrome! I painted mine to match the truck, but I can dig chrome...

pics would be sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
You should pull with the hitch whenever possible, the black(not chrome! :upsidedow ) tow hooks are when someone has to pull you out...

Then you can add whatever color clevis/d-ring you desire...even chrome!
Remember boys and girls...Chrome is for sissys...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
loufish said:
You should pull with the hitch whenever possible, the black(not chrome! :upsidedow ) tow hooks are when someone has to pull you out...



Remember boys and girls...Chrome is for sissys...
haha, amen to that! the only time chrome looks good is on a classic car/truck or, if it's covered in mud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
If the towhook bends when I pull someone out, I think it would be just as likely to bend, when someone pulls me out.

I still think they are a little undersized. Years ago I had a full size Chevy Blazer with factory towhooks, and they were much bigger/stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
loufish said:
You should pull with the hitch whenever possible, the black(not chrome! :upsidedow ) tow hooks are when someone has to pull you out...



Remember boys and girls...Chrome is for sissys...
I'm not getting sucked into this argument again...

Remember boys and girls...do what appeals to you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
I plan to have them on in time for the next Houston meet. Cross your fingers Rhino404. I might have a great answer for your needs.


hehehehee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
Something like this could probably be made to work, the problem with our trucks is that the mounting location isn't flat, it's an offset mounting surface, one being an inch or so higher than the other. This means that whatever you use will need to have a bend in it, or the part would have to be machined to match the shape of the frame.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12007_202.htm


Don't ask why I have this either, LOL, but it might be helpful to somebody?
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
The Tundra comes with 2 d-rings on each side in the front. One is large and points straight forward, the second one is smaller and points straight down.
They are located behind the bumper a ways, so the person who is pulling you should be going level or down hill, other wise your strap/chain may hit the bumper unless you are using the smaller ring which points down.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
ss350z said:
If the towhook bends when I pull someone out, I think it would be just as likely to bend, when someone pulls me out.

I still think they are a little undersized. Years ago I had a full size Chevy Blazer with factory towhooks, and they were much bigger/stronger.
I think that the point Loufish was trying to make is that more than a few Titan's have blown their front diff by pulling in reverse or backing up with a heavy load in 4WD with the tires spinning, which is how my front diff blew.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Bhudda454 said:
I plan to have them on in time for the next Houston meet. Cross your fingers Rhino404. I might have a great answer for your needs.


hehehehee
My curiosity has peaked...do tell...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Rhino404 said:
My curiosity has peaked...do tell...

not till I get back from NASCAR this weekend. I have to work some time issues out with the "creator of al things metal"
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top