Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TitanTalkers. Im new to the board and have a question about tow mode/big tow. I have an 04 SE Offroad with big tow and don't necessarily know what tow mode offers. I know it changes the shift rpms but is that it? do i need to use tow mode if I am going to tow something light like two jet skis on a small trailer? Is there anything I should keep in mind when i wire a brake controller? I appreciate any information. I went from a 92 GMC to this titan and its a lot more high tech and i don't really know where to begin...THANKS

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have you read the owners manual??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glanced over it, haven't learned it word for word....sometimes peoples personal experiences are easier to get than wordy owners manual lingo....

·
Registered
686 Posts
"Tow mode
Tow mode should be used when pulling a heavy
trailer or hauling a heavy load. Press the tow
button to activate the tow mode. The tow indicator
in the instrument panel illuminates when the
tow mode is selected. Press the Tow button
again to turn the tow mode OFF. The Tow mode is
automatically cancelled when the key is turned
OFF.

The Tow mode does the following:
1. Reduces transmissions shifts when pulling a
trailer or hauling a load.
2. Provides similar shift feel to driver when the
vehicle is towing.

The Tow mode should be used when the vehicle
and trailer weight is at least 75% of the vehicle's
GCWR. Tow mode is most useful in the following
driving conditions when towing a heavy trailer or
hauling a heavy load:
1. Rolling terrain.
2. Stop and go traffic.
3. Busy parking lots.

Driving the vehicle in the Tow mode with no
trailer/load or light trailer/light load will not cause
any damage. However, fuel economy may be
reduced and the transmission/engine driving
characteristics may feel unusual.

Taken from the manual. I never noticed but in my manual anyway there is a ton of towing information. Even how to wire the brake controller and a host of other information. Take a few minutes and have a read, it's really quite interesting!

Reactions: BobNYC

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's another question. Does the tow mode effect the Bullydog GT or does tow mode pretty much cancel whatever the BDGT is programmed to?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Here's another question. Does the tow mode effect the Bullydog GT or does tow mode pretty much cancel whatever the BDGT is programmed to?
The tow mode isn't effected by anything, or effect anything...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've read on another forum that one should shift to manual so the truck does not go to 5th gear when towing. When I do that, the tow mode in my 05 SE does not activate. Sound right?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
...shift to manual so the truck does not go to 5th gear when towing. When I do that, the tow mode in my 05 SE does not activate. Sound right?
That's correct. Lots of us early-year owners have beaten the so-called "Tow Mode" to death. Fix the Tow Mode PLEASE discussion <--click

Really, Tow Mode does very little in the early firmware. Mostly what it does is make the engine rev higher in the lower gears, and is generally useless. You're best off using Manual Mode and selecting your own gears, keeping the revs up a bit on grades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I traded in my 05 Titan on a 2010 SE a few months ago. Has much if anything changed about the tow mode? I haul an enclosed 6x14 cargo trailer filled with decoys and a 4 wheeler. The shift display is a little different on this truck than my previous one. Do most of you guys just tow in 4 instead of D?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts