Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around the forums and the internet and I'm quite confused by this "Big Tow" package. There's only one towing package, correct? And that package is the Big Tow package right? If the truck has a hitch, and a tow mode button does that mean it has the lower gear ratio too? I'm still in the market for buying my first Titan and I've been doing a lot of online research so I haven't been able to look for tale-tell signs like the transmission temp gauge.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What I've recently learned when shopping myself is that NO, the hitch and tow mode button alone don't imply Big Tow. It seems the transmission temperature gauge is the biggest indicator of Big Tow. The larger mirrors are another sign, but I read some non-Big Tow's were shipped with extended mirrors.

I also read that they all come with the same transmission cooling capability so I am not sure why there is a 2K difference in tow rating.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Welcome to the boards. On big tow, you will have a temp guage on instrument cluster and large square mirrors. These are the indicators.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've searched around the forums and the internet and I'm quite confused by this "Big Tow" package. There's only one towing package, correct? And that package is the Big Tow package right? If the truck has a hitch, and a tow mode button does that mean it has the lower gear ratio too? I'm still in the market for buying my first Titan and I've been doing a lot of online research so I haven't been able to look for tale-tell signs like the transmission temp gauge.
Use the links Bestatchess gave you. Different years offered different packages and options. One year the tranny guage meant you had the tow package while other years...that ALL had the guage. It gets quite confusing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
the biggest reason why the higher towing capacity on the big tow option is they give you lower gears in the rear diff. 3.53's i think in non big tow, 3.73's or a bit lower for big tow. that is the main reason why you want the Big Tow option if you plan on towing a bit heaver loads.

·
Super Moderator
162,612 Posts
Not even close, Tek.

Non big tow = 2.94
Big tow = 3.36

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
are you planning on buying 08+ or 04-07? its a little different in that the 08+ Ts (other than some XE models) have the trans temp gauge w/ or w/o big tow. 07 and older only had the temp gauge for big tow models. expendable mirrors are only on big tow models 04-11 but could have been easily be swapped out if your buying used. the sure way to know is to look at the label on the rear axle shaft housing (i think) near the pumpkin to look for the gear ratio. like said earlier, it will either be 2.94 (non) or 3.36 (BT).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because of budget I'm looking in pre-07, so thanks for that VK56. If it wouldn't be too big of a hassle would anybody be able to post a picture of where I could see the label where it would tell me the gear ratio?

·
Super Moderator
162,612 Posts
It's on the axle, passenger side, facing the rear of the truck. Looks like this:

·
Registered
558 Posts
ha ha, well i guess i didn't do my research on the ratio but my point came across clearly, if the truck has tow mirrors, and a Tranny cooler gauge but doesn't have the lower gears its not big tow, if it has the lower gears then its big tow.

·
Super Moderator
162,612 Posts
If it has the lower gears, it essentially has the big tow, yes. It's those lower gears that allow you to pull the higher capacity.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Not even close, Tek.

Non big tow = 2.94
Big tow = 3.36
Wait...So the big tow truck is essentially going to be quicker accelerating because of the lower (higher number) gear ratio?
I always thought the big tow was the 2.94.

Learn something new everyday. :D

·
Super Moderator
162,612 Posts
Yet the quickest quarter mile time trucks seem to be those running the 2:94 gears. Go figure. :dunno:

I don't run quarters. I tow. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts