Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X4 with tow package. I have a 24 foot boat and a 29 foot RV trailer. The boat weighs approximately 5 to 6,000 lbs depending on what we are doing and the RV trailer weighs about 5,500 lbs empty and approximately 6 to 7,000 lbs during also depending where we are going. My question is, do I need to use the tow package feature for towing the boat and RV. I feel the boat is light enough that I can tow it on regular mode but use the tow feature for the RV. Your thoughts please.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
You don't need to but it's just designed to help get up to speed quicker so I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it.
You can drive around with the T/H mode activated all the time if you want to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I assume that the gen 2 tow mode button is the same as gen 1. The tow mode helps hold the truck in gear longer. In other words, it delays the transmission from jumping into a taller gear too soon while under load. If you find that in regular mode that your transmission goes to a taller gear but upshifts again from the load, the tow mode feature should then be used. For my boat towing, I seldom use the tow mode unless I am heavily loaded with other gear and driving on hilly terrain.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
On the Gen1, tow mode also engages transmission downshifting to aid in braking control when the brakes are applied firmly. I believe that feature migrated to the Gen2.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have found (and confirmed on an older post here) that the GenII can suck gas like crazy at Interstate speeds with tow haul engaged. Mine tows fine at state speed limits (55) and gets reasonable mileage, but by 65 it is holding much too low a gear, revving too high, and burning gas like crazy. Popping it out of TH immediately ups the gear and drops the RPM to a more sane level, much improving gas mileage.

I do recommend using TH mode most of the time for the improved shift pattern, but if you find gas mileage suffering too much pop it back out. Nothing wrong with experimenting a little bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bankr, you probably have more experience than me towing. Although, I was always told not to tow in Over drive. Well taking it out of towing mode without putting it in fourth gear would then be using your overdrive while you're hauling a load. I dont know how the newer titans are but I wouldn't do that with mine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bankr, you probably have more experience than me towing. Although, I was always told not to tow in Over drive. Well taking it out of towing mode without putting it in fourth gear would then be using your overdrive while you're hauling a load. I dont know how the newer titans are but I wouldn't do that with mine.
I would guess by the RPM that it was actually holding fourth. Would have to take out a calculator to confirm, and that is more math than I would like to handle. By letting it jump a gear, it doesn't mean you are necessarily in OD. Never looked that closely at the gear ratios, how many of the gears on the Titan are OD? Regardless, I wouldn't think it was a problem unless the tranny was heating up, and the gauge on mine stays pretty steady. The only thing the manual says is to never drive at high speeds with lockout below 4th gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay that makes sense. When I say overdrive I mean 5th gear. The top gear. You saying that your rpms dropped at 65 led me to think that the transmission was in OD. Which I have always that was not good to do. The owners manual is the main source for know what is safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Okay that makes sense. When I say overdrive I mean 5th gear. The top gear. You saying that your rpms dropped at 65 led me to think that the transmission was in OD. Which I have always that was not good to do. The owners manual is the main source for know what is safe.
The OP and I both have 2nd gen T's so there are 7 speeds. I suspect that both 6 and 7 are overdriven ratios, but I haven't actually seen a chart of the gear reductions, and the loading on the engine and transmission will differ depending on the final drive ratio (2.937:1 for T, 3.357:1 for XD). The diesel has has a 6-speed and different final ratio again, so that would again be different.

ETA: so with a wealth of time on my hand, I did a web search and found the ratios for the 7-speed on the Nissan website. The 7 ratios are 4.886, 3.169, 2.027, 1.411, 1.000, 0.864, 0.774 :)1). So yes, both 6 and 7 are overdrive ratios.

Just to complete the above ratios, the reverse ratio is 4.041 and the transfer case is 4H 1.000, 4L 2.717 with a crawl ratio of 38.989

1 - 12 of 12 Posts