Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Titan with big Tow. I would like to know what I need to charge trailer batteries while on the road? I tested for power going to the trailer but there was none. Do I have to get a fuse at the Nissan Dealer? I appreciate any advice. Thanks for responses>:angel:

·
Super Moderator
37,331 Posts
Most TT's don't charge off the tow vehicles battery. Most of the ones I have see charge when plunged in to AC. What you are asking can be done but its tricky and requires some extra parts.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If you have all the relays installed then there should be 12 volts to one of the seven pins when the key is on, and no voltage while key off.
The charging rate is pretty weak, I wouldn't try to relie on it too much...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
loufish said:
If you have all the relays installed then there should be 12 volts to one of the seven pins when the key is on, and no voltage while key off.
The charging rate is pretty weak, I wouldn't try to relie on it too much...
You're correct; you send up to about 10 amps back to the trailer through the connector, mostly because of the wire size. But it does charge the trailer batteries.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Be carefull. It supplies the trailer 10 amps protected by a 10 amp fuse under the hood.My few blows regulary 30 minutes into the trip.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Blowing fuses rgulary would indicate you're drawing too heavy of a load. If the battery is just for brakes, it shouldn't draw that much to keep it fresh, but if the batteries are for running an invertor system, you might exceed the 10 Amp supply. Having an Ammeter on that circuit, would be a nice thing.

Check continuity, and check voltage before hooking up. Are you charging 1 battery or many? Have you checed inside the trailer plug to ensure the wires haven't pulled loose? It is a very common problem. Lots of things could cause it.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Be carefull. It supplies the trailer 10 amps protected by a 10 amp fuse under the hood.My few blows regulary 30 minutes into the trip.
What are you running with the trailer battery?
If there is nothing on, and it's just for charging then yes there is a problem...

·
Registered
779 Posts
jbone said:
the power supply to the charge circuit for the trailer is protected, or should be protected by a 30 amp fuse labeled "J" in the fuse and fuseable link box according to the service manual wire diagrams.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If LearJet is correct, then maybe you're blowing a different fuse, meaning another problem...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Learjet-I'll have to check into that 30 amp fuse. The fuse I'm talking about is a 10 amp tow fuse in the engine compartment.This fuse gives power to the trailer running lights, and 12 volts to the refrigerator while trailering.The refrigerator actually runs on propane but need 12 volts for a control circuit that draws less than 1/2 an amp.

Loufish-Just one battery being charged.

Where can I find a wiring schematic for the tow circuits for our trucks?

·
Registered
779 Posts
jbone said:
Learjet-I'll have to check into that 30 amp fuse. The fuse I'm talking about is a 10 amp tow fuse in the engine compartment.This fuse gives power to the trailer running lights, and 12 volts to the refrigerator while trailering.
If you are losing running lights that is a different fuse than the charge circuit or you could be losing the 10 amp fuse that is for the control circuit for the different relays. If it is fuse # 51 that is the 10 amp control fuse. What is the letter or number of the fuse that blows?

I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries and have never blown a fuse.

try this, look at the bottom drawing for tow relay 2 for the charge circuit, It is a little confusing at first because the drawings are split over a couple of pages. http://www.titantalk.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=4364

·
Registered
97 Posts
Learjet

My fuses are not numbered, but looks like you could be onto something with the 10 amp control fuse. I see that would not energize the relay and allow the 12v from the 30a to charge.But hoe do the running lights fit into the picture?When the 10amp fuse blows, I still have brake lights and turn signals.I just lose running lights on travel trailer not on titan.This wouldnt have anything to do with the BCM sevice bulletin i have read about,would it?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Sounds like you're blowing fuse #32 a ten amp fuse for the trailer t-lights. If this fuse blows, the truck lights would be-unaffected.
This also means you have a short on the trailer...VERY common.
Almost every fuse issue is the trailer...which means the first place to check

·
Registered
97 Posts
loufish
I am open to suggestions.I see where I would lose tail lights if I dropped that fuse,but it doesnt look like that fuse would affect 12 volts to battery or refrigerator.How can I look at the fuse in my truck and come up with a fuse number? I can only find amp ratings?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I am open to suggestions.I see where I would lose tail lights if I dropped that fuse,but it doesnt look like that fuse would affect 12 volts to battery or refrigerator.How can I look at the fuse in my truck and come up with a fuse number? I can only find amp ratings?
I've never checked my Titans fuse block, but many times the fuse numbers are on the cover of the fuse block, check there...

Blowing #32 (10 amp)fuse as stated would not kill the trucks t-lites, only the trailers t-lights. Blowing #36 (10 amp) would cause loss of both truck & trailer lights. Blowing #51 (10 amp) would kill the 12v feed to the trailer, but shouldn't cause any issues with the t-lights of either truck or trailer...

You need to find out which fuse is blowing...

·
Registered
779 Posts
jbone said:

Check your Private Message.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Loufish
Makes sense.I just have to figure out the numbering.They are not numbered in my truck on labeled trailer tow 10 amp.

Leerjet
You have pm.Thank you sir.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts