Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a bought new 2006 Titan LE crewcab with the tow package with only 200 miles on it. I also bought a trailer that has a dry weight of 5300 lbs. So my questions is this. The manual says not to tow anything for at least the first 500 miles and then if you tow something, slow and easy for the next 500 miles or so. My dilema is that I would like to pick the truck up, drive the 200 miles or so where the trailer is and then drive to the coast (1500 miles or so) with both. I don't mind taking my time, so if I have to drive for 3 hours, stop for an hour and so on I am okay with that. I am also okay going very slowly and will take a route that is flat.

What are the opinions on this one and am I nuts to do this with a new vehicle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I wouldn't tow anything until you get at least that first oil change out of the way, they say they never use that break in oil anymore but every new car or truck I have had that first change the oil looks like thin as water coming out of there. First oil change at least IMO.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Keep the speed down and no hills...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Consider this:

http://www.4x4now.com/gt0999.htm

This towing break-in process is recommended by just about every gear manufacturer and new vehicle manufacturer.

Randy Lyman is highly respected and knows what he is talking about.

Do it right in the beginning and you will have no problems.

·
Registered
779 Posts
good article ^^^^

I drove my new truck around slowly, ask my wife it was killing her going @50 mph, for 500 miles and then left on long trip with my Travel Trailer. Being on the interstate I couldn't stand doing 50, but I keep it to 60 mph on flat ground for the next 500 with the trailer in tow.

30,000 miles later and 8000 + towing with no problems. I do change my gear oil often, once a year or more, to keep them really happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts