Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just reading up on a Titan towing guide from Nissan and it states the max an xe cc with no big tow can tow is 6500# but a non big tow se can tow 7400#. if they have the same axle and tranny, where's the difference? does the SE have different rear shocks/springs? I also noticed it (se) has a higher tongue weight rating. so what gives??

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/2007/2007NissanTowingGuide.pdf

check page 26

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Make sure you are looking at a SE CC not a SE KC the KC is rated at 7400#'s.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Shailey shared the secret that no salesman knows, in a post a couple months ago. I'd wondered for a long time; it is in the tires used on BT vs non BT. Different tires are the reason. Yep, dealer couldn't explain the differance either. Base XE Non BT has a lighter duty tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe it is the tires. I'm not sure it's the weight capacity of the tires, though, because the payload rating doesn't reflect those towing rating differences. The first order tire rating factors are purely weight/inflation/speed based. I kinda wrote the difference off to random marketing twiddling, but I suppose it could also be that the SE/LE tires are slightly smaller circumference and have a different effective gearing as a result.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
No, the tire diameter would be way too close to be a factor on the capacity. The safety factor isn't that tight. I'd still chalk it up to the particular tires usually used and of course, the marketing arm of Nissan.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Helinut1970 said:
Make sure you are looking at a SE CC not a SE KC the KC is rated at 7400#'s.

I am, check page 26 on the link I included.

So if it's just the tires, If I change my current ones to a higher weight rated tire, then I suppose my towing capacity would be 7400#? Not that I have anything that heavy to tow, I was just curious what the difference was in essentially two trucks that are the same.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yep just the tires. 245/70/17 Bridgestone AT duellers on XE vs the Goodyears and BFG.

You'll notice that if the its the offroad xe its more cause of the different tires.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The tire explanation makes sense as the only meaningful difference between the models. However, it's black magic because there is a 900 lb discrepancy between the models' ratings, and the tire ratings only differ by 528 lb for two tires (2337 lb vs. 2601 lb). In addition, these numbers are for towing from the bumper. Once you add a hitch, there is no difference between the models' towing capacities, 9400 lb, regardless of tires. So adding a weight-distributing hitch negates any difference the tires make.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Nuke said:
The tire explanation makes sense as the only meaningful difference between the models. However, it's black magic because there is a 900 lb discrepancy between the models' ratings, and the tire ratings only differ by 528 lb for two tires (2337 lb vs. 2601 lb). In addition, these numbers are for towing from the bumper. Once you add a hitch, there is no difference between the models' towing capacities, 9400 lb, regardless of tires. So adding a weight-distributing hitch negates any difference the tires make.
No, no. If you have the Hitch, it is because you have the BT option and the better tires, all the SE and LE already have a better tire. This discrepancy relates to the XE Non BT vs non BT SE and LE. You cannot tow 7400 with the bumper, it is not rated for the 740# tongue weight IIRC. I'm pretty sure they state even though the vehicle is rated for 7400, you can only tow 5000 on the bumper (an industry wide standard) You'd still need to add the class 3 Receiver, and would only have the highest rating with the BT (or OR) gearing. Without the right tires, you dont have a Manufacturers Rating of 9400#. Black magic is what marketing is all about. Not every number is going to add up exactly. Some rounding off is going to happen somewhere. I've read there is a differance in springs, but have not yet seen it documented or photgraphed to confirm this on any model. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, but... I have the XE with tow package (9400 tow rating) and it has the same standard XE tires, so it's not the weight rating of the tires. There is a 3.5% difference in circumference between XE and SE tires (245/75/17 vs 265/70/18). I think the tow package axle difference is 10%.

·
Registered
364 Posts
TitanBlue said:
...Black magic is what marketing is all about...
You got that right. But the Big Tow option does not include tires, only:

Class IV receiver hitch
7-pin plug
Brake controller pre-wiring
Heavy-duty battery (710A vs. 650A)
Lower gears (3.36:1 vs. 2.94:1)
Tow mirrors
Transmission temperature gauge

·
Registered
801 Posts
Curmudgeon said:
Yeah, but... I have the XE with tow package (9400 tow rating) and it has the same standard XE tires, so it's not the weight rating of the tires. There is a 3.5% difference in circumference between XE and SE tires (245/75/17 vs 265/70/18). I think the tow package axle difference is 10%.
I did not know this, black magic then. So the diff is all gearing and trans temp gauge, and you should have trailer brakes.

Are the leaf springs different? I didn't think so, but I would be curious to find out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts