Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and it seems like a lot of us are having problems with the 10 AMP towing fuse....

My problem is that everytime I put a new one in, it blows within five minutes. Has/Does anyone have this problem or knows how I can fix it? It's bugging the $h!T out me! I hate towing my boat at night without running lights!

My cousin and I go fishing alot. When we take his truck and tow the boat, we don't have any issues....

Do you think I might need a new BCM?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Info on the Truck?
Year? Big tow that kind of thing.
If 05 or older did you get the TSB done?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2005 Crew Cab, Off Road, Tow Package...

What's TSB?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
does it blow with every trailer you hook up to?

blowing fuses means something is wrong and more often than not is the towed vehicle having the problem.

The TSB was for not having running lights at all on the 7 pin connector or something to that effect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just started giving me problem this past weekend...I haven't gone out fishing since...I been just towing my boat. My uncle has a trailer, I'll try to hook up with that trailer, go for a drive and see if it the fuse blows...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Shane's right. You most likely have a problem with the boat trailer wiring. A lot of the time those supposedly "waterproof" taillights aren't and the socket gets full of rust - conductive rust - as the trailer sits. Salt water's especially good for this.

Fun story, since I used to do auto electric as part of my Journeyman skills: Had a customer that swore up and down at his tow vehicle because the boat trailer lights kept blowing fuses. (Sound familiar?) I troubleshot it and had it down to one of the trailer lights, but he was standing right there and swore to me that the trailer couldn't possibly be the problem. (The boat was worth about three times what the car was worth) So I went in and borrowed the big Starter-Cart (two golf cart batteries in series, so about 80 amps continuous available) and came out with it. "I'll make you a bet..." I put a five dollar bill on the top and said, "If this makes the light work for ten minutes, that's yours." Good enough... I hooked up the batteries to the trailer light connector. I noticed the lamp went on, and thought, Oh crap, there goes that five bucks... But suddenly, the lights flickered a bit, and then went out. Then... one of the taillight housings started to smoke...

·
Registered
1 Posts
sparrows said:
Did a search and it seems like a lot of us are having problems with the 10 AMP towing fuse....
I had this problem from Day 1 with my '05. I regularly tow a well-maintained car hauler, that hasn't shown any problems with other tow vehicles. After a couple fruitless trips to the dealer, I finally put a 15 amp fuse in place of the stock 10 amp fuse. Normally, I wouldn't advocate such a change, but it TOTALLY solved the problem. I've been towing every other weekend for 2 years now with zero problems.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If it doesn't blow when not towing then it's the trailer..Why would that circut be useded in a boat trailer? Is there a battery to be charged?
Why would that circut be used on a car hauler?
These are the clues...

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 10a tow fuse blew this weekend too_On my pre trip inspection,I noticed that I did not have running lights on TT.Figured no big deal the sun was up,dont need the running lights.Come to find out this fuse also supplys 12V to the camper for battery charging and refrigerator power.Needless to say 4 hours later, my fridge was still hot.Now I am going to replace the fuse and see what happens before I begin extensive troubleshooting.:huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went through 3 10A fuses on my '06, but didn't care because I was only towing in the day.

However, coming home from a race in NY, I had to fix it as I was going to be driving through the night... and blew my last one. At a rest area, I put in the spare 15A... it didn't blow, but the lights still didn't come on.

I was going around, tapping the lights, and I reached down to check one, and upon touching it, the wire was really, really hot. Pulled the connector from the truck. Pulled the light apart and found a small piece of wire that was exposed and touching the trailer. 'The Short'.

Got some electrical tape out of my tool box, wrapped it up, put the light back in, and viola. Lights. :)

So, if you can't see every piece of wire, break out a mulitmeter and do some poking around and testing.... in my case, it definitely wasn't the truck.

However, if there's a TSB, I'd still like to see it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A little off topic but I figured you could use a laugh.

I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer, with marker lights on the fenders. I kept blowing fuses to. It only did it on my 5x8...I started at the plug and started changing and following wires back...2 hours later and a lot of cussing and fuses, some jerk unscrewed my fender markers lights and grounded them out. at first glance they looked ok but I noticed the other side had 2 wire nuts and this side only had one.:gunz:

·
Registered
40 Posts
MNbiker said:
I had this problem from Day 1 with my '05. I regularly tow a well-maintained car hauler, that hasn't shown any problems with other tow vehicles. After a couple fruitless trips to the dealer, I finally put a 15 amp fuse in place of the stock 10 amp fuse. Normally, I wouldn't advocate such a change, but it TOTALLY solved the problem. I've been towing every other weekend for 2 years now with zero problems.

-Steve
Oh, BTW.. Hi Steve. :) It's amazing how many autocrossers tow with Titans vs other trucks.

--kC

·
Registered
97 Posts
Update

Replaced the fuse, hooked everything up. The fuse did not blow. Cant fix what wont break. Maybe it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Towing fuse keeps blowing! Found the problem!

Found out what the problem was...

There was a light on the Shorelander trailer that was dead. Behind the swing tongue, on the driver/port side. I took off the light and one of the connecting was shorted. The male connector wasn't fully connected/inside the female connector, it was just barely touching and it caused the rubber that covers the wire to burn. There was about 3 quarters of the wire showing.

Cut off the wire where it was burnt and solder a new male connector, plugged it in and made sure the connection was tight and it works now.

No more blown fuses.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok,my blown fuse problem came back.It is the 10 amp tow fuse that powers the running lights,charges the battery and runs the refrigerator. I am not sure where to start looking,but I dont think 10 amp is enough to run all those things?ideas are welcomed.Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I called my local Nissan dealer today and talked to the service manager.He told me to replace the 10 amp fuse with a 15 amp.I said whoa,what gauge wire runs that circuit?He said he didnt know,but thats what they usually do and they havent had any problems.Anybody have any idea what gauge the wire is?I dont want to burn the wire or my truck up!Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Come on you guys must have an opinion. Should I trust the service guy and up the fuse from a 10 amp to a 15 amp?Nissan built it with a 10 amp for a reason,right?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had the problem when I replaced my OEM tail lights with the LED tail lights. I did not want to give up the LED tail lights, so I wired a relay up with a switch (there was one blank switch panel in my dash) , ran a wire all the way back to the plug and spliced in where the original wiring for trailer running lights goes. I put a 10 amp fuse in line up by the battery and now have fully independent trailer running lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait... you're running a fridge with a 10A fuse off the regular harness?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Unplug the fridge. Then run the 10A. See if that fixes the issue. If it keeps blowing, I'm convinced there's still a short in the trailer.

--kC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts