Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, new to the board. About to go pickup my 2012 Nissan Titan Heavy Metal Chrome CC. Feel like I'm getting a good deal, only 49,000 miles. My main concern is the towing capacity. I've read the towing capacity is 9300lbs and also read it is 7400lbs. I'm an occasionally travel trailer tower, 10-15 weekends out of the year and probably twice a year we take an extended family trip in the camper. Can someone shine some light my way? I know there is a tow package on the truck but not sure how to tell if its the tow package that is recommended to get to the 9300lbs. My trailer weighs about 6200lbs. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,960 Posts
Is your trailer 6200 lbs dry?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
2.94 gears equal 7200 pounds, 3.36 gears equals 9200 pounds, thats all you need to know. Tow packages means nothing for the towing capacity, all it consists of is the 7 pin, brake wiring, and hitch.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Take it for a test drive and hit the interstate. If it has the tow gears, you will be running 2000 rpms at 70mph.

If you've already signed the paperwork and find out it isn't rated to tow your camper loaded, your insurance can deny a claim if anything should happen while you are towing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My 25 foot TT weighs about as much as yours, and my 2011 SV tows it just fine. Keep it in 4th and in tow mode and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
My 25 foot TT weighs about as much as yours, and my 2011 SV tows it just fine. Keep it in 4th and in tow mode and you'll have no problems.
Hope your not towing over capacity and you get in an accident, insurance company won't cover you and you will have to foot the bill for everything, probably get sued too.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Reading this thread caused me to pick up the phone and call my agent. Here's what I learned. Travel Trailer liability coverage is governed by state law as it pertains to your auto policy as long as it's not being used for commercial use. (Most of us also buy additional trailer collision and comp coverage for a separate line charge.) It's also governed by common sense, since laws vary from state to state. RE: my state, he indicated that the only weight that can be verified is that of the empty weight on the trailer sticker.....unless someone tries to take the trailer from an accident site, with your permission, and have it weighed, or if involved in an accident, the patrol could impound to have it weighed. He said that in 40 years he's never heard of it happening since the legal liability is usually based on reports of driving such as speed, assured clear distance, signalling lane change, etc. Proving liability due to contents and weight is just too high a hill to climb. Similarly, if you had a blow out due to poor tire pressure maintenance, that would not be noted on an accident report, although it's clearly a negligence. Now that said, call your insurer and get an answer, in writing from them, or have them point out in your policy what the limitations and clarifiers are for your residence state, since that takes precedence over another state's laws if you travel out of state.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hope your not towing over capacity and you get in an accident, insurance company won't cover you and you will have to foot the bill for everything, probably get sued too.
Not sure what you mean, my trailer comes in fully loaded at 7800 lbs. That includes full water tanks, and I always run my trailer dry. My 2011 CC SV is rated for 9300 lbs, so I am well within comfort and legal parameters...

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Not sure what you mean, my trailer comes in fully loaded at 7800 lbs. That includes full water tanks, and I always run my trailer dry. My 2011 CC SV is rated for 9300 lbs, so I am well within comfort and legal parameters...
You have 3.36 gears (if you don't, your not rated for 9300 pounds)? OP might not have the right gears, just because you can tow 9300 pounds, doesn't mean he can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately it was confirmed that I do have the 2.94 gears. Dealer was willing to back deal out as long as I purchased another vehicle. Sadly, I will not be getting a Titan. Thanks for everyone's responses

1 - 12 of 12 Posts