Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 27' TT. I've had my Titan for 2 years now and towed my bass boat all over the country with no problems. Big difference between a bass boat and a 27'TT that is 5600lbs dry. Living in Albuquerque I can't avoid the mountains so I'm looking for any advice from someone with mountain towing experience.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Drive slow and dont try and break any land speed records. Folks think they can still drive 75 with a big trailer behind them. Make sure yor trailer has a sway control bar. Leave the tow mode off ( if equipped) and use the right gear for the steep grades. Dont be surprised if your in 3rd gear pulling High RPM'S. Watch the temp guage on the tranny and let the big dog eat.:cheers:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why leave the tow mode off?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
jbglenn said:
Drive slow and dont try and break any land speed records. Folks think they can still drive 75 with a big trailer behind them. Make sure yor trailer has a sway control bar. Leave the tow mode off ( if equipped) and use the right gear for the steep grades. Dont be surprised if your in 3rd gear pulling High RPM'S. Watch the temp guage on the tranny and let the big dog eat.:cheers:
:huh: Well the rest was good advice! Better keep that on! Add going up hill let it slow down to catch a better gear. SCREW the people behind you. If they want to pass let them go around including the big rigs. Do you have BT package? If not, even more important to slow it down on hills. You will over heat that tranny real quick if you dont.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have the BT package. The big dog pulls a bass boat like its not even back there. Thanks for the advice. I'll just leave it 4th with the tow mode on and slow to catch different gears on the bigger hills.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Plenty of folks here have had the tranny overheat towing heavy loads with the tow mode on. If you start to overheat turn the tow modeoff and leave in the right gear for the grade. Do a search and others will share the overheat info with you. Have fun

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My 1st suggestion would be regarding brakes, as the downhill part of towing in areas with big elevation changes is way more important than the uphill runs as far as I'm concerned.

What kind of brake controller do you have? If you don't have something like a Prodigy then get one. One of the many features I like about this unit is it isconstantly monitoring itself, so if it fails you in theory can get an advance warning.

For someone like you I would spend a great deal of time paying attention to your trailer's brakes, I cannot talk enough about how important it is to have these adjusted evenly and up close, you want these things to be working as best as they can.

Use the trucks tranny to downshift and put some of the braking load on the titan's drivetrain.

And like Helinut1970 said, screw the people behind you, go as slow as you want, brake lighter and for shorter periods of time, allowing the brakes a chance to breath/cool off, the worst thing to do is get on them and then ride them, this is a great way to overheat the pad material and have them fail.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Quad T said:
My 1st suggestion would be regarding brakes, as the downhill part of towing in areas with big elevation changes is way more important than the uphill runs as far as I'm concerned.

What kind of brake controller do you have? If you don't have something like a Prodigy then get one. One of the many features I like about this unit is it isconstantly monitoring itself, so if it fails you in theory can get an advance warning.

For someone like you I would spend a great deal of time paying attention to your trailer's brakes, I cannot talk enough about how important it is to have these adjusted evenly and up close, you want these things to be working as best as they can.

Use the trucks tranny to downshift and put some of the braking load on the titan's drivetrain.

And like Helinut1970 said, screw the people behind you, go as slow as you want, brake lighter and for shorter periods of time, allowing the brakes a chance to breath/cool off, the worst thing to do is get on them and then ride them, this is a great way to overheat the pad material and have them fail.
Or catch fire!!! Great points, I didnt touch on going down hill. A whole different ball game there.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
jbglenn said:
Plenty of folks here have had the tranny overheat towing heavy loads with the tow mode on. If you start to overheat turn the tow modeoff and leave in the right gear for the grade. Do a search and others will share the overheat info with you. Have fun
Tow mode is not a replacement for using the right gear, all it does it change the shift points of the trans during acceleration. I definitely recommend 3rd gear when going up hills on the freeway (Keep the RPMs up), the problem with the trans heating up is lower RPMs not providing enough fluid flow. Dropping down a gear and bringing up the RPMs cools it down almost instantly since the fluid in the pan is at a much cooler temp.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Titanminator said:
If you keep the RPM's in the 3000 to 3500, that is were the 379 torque comes in.
That's right. Towing my 25' TT east out of san diego it is a steady 6% grade. Pull most of it while shifted into 3rd at a steady 55mph (around 3300 rpm). Tranny stays nice and cool. Remember to put your windows down and listen to the roar when climbing. Love it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice. I think the ole Titan will be just fine. I don't know what kind of brake controller I'm getting yet because I don't get everything until Friday. It's a pretty big RV dealer here in Albuquerque so hopefully they don't give me something half a$$. Big Dawg tows my bass boat through all of these mountains in OD tow mode off with no problems (2500-2700lbs). I know it will be a bit different towing something weighing around 6000lbs, all the advice from ya'll will definitley help. Thanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
TitanLou said:
Thanks for all the advice. I think the ole Titan will be just fine. I don't know what kind of brake controller I'm getting yet because I don't get everything until Friday. It's a pretty big RV dealer here in Albuquerque so hopefully they don't give me something half a$$. Big Dawg tows my bass boat through all of these mountains in OD tow mode off with no problems (2500-2700lbs). I know it will be a bit different towing something weighing around 6000lbs, all the advice from ya'll will definitley help. Thanks
I got a Prodigy and love it. $135 at my local rv store and $15 for the Nissan harness. Makes it plug and play.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Harness comes with Big Tow package. The prodigy is the best IMO. I got mine from camping world for 99.00 shipped. Good luck, if start to overheat turn off the tow mode.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
jbglenn said:
Harness comes with Big Tow package. The prodigy is the best IMO. I got mine from camping world for 99.00 shipped. Good luck, if start to overheat turn off the tow mode.
I don't know why you keep saying that, it's a load of hooey. If you insist on repeating yourself, please back it up with some proof as to WHY tow mode would cause the trans to overheat. That's rather bass ackwards and makes absolutely zero sense.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yahooligan said:
I don't know why you keep saying that, it's a load of hooey. If you insist on repeating yourself, please back it up with some proof as to WHY tow mode would cause the trans to overheat. That's rather bass ackwards and makes absolutely zero sense.

Plenty of posts on it already. Search Tow mode and see some of steamguy's response. Personally I dont care, blow your tranny up. I'm just trying to share some info that has been posted here many times. I will repeat for everyone else. If it heats up in tow mode, switch out and tow in 3rd. It WILL drop your tranny temps. Do you even tow anything yourself Hooligan?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
jbglenn said:
Plenty of posts on it already. Search Tow mode and see some of steamguy's response. Personally I dont care, blow your tranny up. I'm just trying to share some info that has been posted here many times. I will repeat for everyone else. If it heats up in tow mode, switch out and tow in 3rd. It WILL drop your tranny temps. Do you even tow anything yourself Hooligan?
Searched and found the thread you're talking about, but it seems to ONLY be an issue with 2004 Titans. Likely a change in the programming after the first MY quirks.

Yes I tow, yes I use tow mode, always have. The only time I have tranny temp problems is going up a long grade in 4th gear with the RPMs at 2500 or less. Dropping into 3rd gear results in immediate drop in trans temps because there is nothing wrong with the cooling ability of the system but the RPMs are not high enough to provide adequate fluid flow to carry the heat away from the trans. Those of you towing TTs of any decent size know it doesn't take much throttle to unlock the T/C in 4th or 5th. The T/C does not lock in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear.

My tranny won't blow up, but thanks for the concern. Dropping into 3rd is what drops the temps, not turning off Tow Mode, especially considering once you're in 3rd gear the T/C will not lock regardless of Tow Mode being on or off. However, since you're the expert on this subject, what is the technical reason that turning Tow Mode off in 3rd gear will have a different effect than Tow Mode on in 3rd gear?

There very well could be an issue/quirk with the MY04 Titans and their programming that causes the trans to heat up in 4th when it shouldn't, but again that is the first model year of the truck. I don't see anyone with an '05 or newer with the same complaint, including myself.

People are going to do what works best for them, but it also helps to pay attention to the specifics and facts so you don't take situation that only applies to a certain year of truck and turn it into something that affects ALL years. A blanket statement telling everyone to never tow with Tow Mode on is hogwash as shown by posts in the very thread you suggested reading. Someone posted that their 04 heated up with the same load on the same road when their newer Titan didn't while using Tow Mode.

Tow Mode off for '04s? Sure, I'll buy that after what people have said. Tow Mode off for ALL years? Absolutely not.

BTW, Hooligan is someone else. :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Those of you towing TTs of any decent size know it doesn't take much throttle to unlock the T/C in 4th or 5th.
I think that's the real issue, many people towing in 4th gear and not knowing that the T/C has unlocked...mine unlocks real easy.
Maybe the newer Titans keep the T/C locked up better...All this still has nothing to do with the Tow Mode.
I always tow with the TM on, I recomend it to others. No proof at all that it's a problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts