Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious what you guys get for mileage when towing. i went through 2 tankfulls this past weekend, and i averaged 9mpg. this is with about 700 lbs in the bed and a 4500lb total weight trailer. i live in the northeast, and we have some good hills around here, so i am attributing the low mpg to that. anyone else?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
rodney said:
just curious what you guys get for mileage when towing. i went through 2 tankfulls this past weekend, and i averaged 9mpg. this is with about 700 lbs in the bed and a 4500lb total weight trailer. i live in the northeast, and we have some good hills around here, so i am attributing the low mpg to that. anyone else?
That sounds about right. I towed my camper from upstate NY to Atlanta GA and I averaged about 11mpg. But that was all highway, cruising about 65. When I take shorter trips around here in the adirondacks I average about 9mpg. However, that was before the lift and 35's. I can only imagine how bad it will be now. lol :crying:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure what I was doing right, but I towed my MIL's Corolla from Baltimore to Dallas and averaged 15mpg the whole way.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Raven's Fan said:
Not sure what I was doing right, but I towed my MIL's Corolla from Baltimore to Dallas and averaged 15mpg the whole way.
A travel trailer will be far worse on mileage than most other things towed because of wind drag. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I travelled from NE to CO on I-80 in the rain, going into a strong headwind of 30mph ... with 40-50mph gusts ... with a 5300lb trailer and the wife and two kids and full cab of gear ... and got only 7.5mpg. Once the winds subsided in CO, I got 9mpg on the second tank of gas.

In the strong headwind I struggled to maintain 65 and realistically is was 55-60mph that I was able to maintain without constant downshifting ... towmode or not. The good part is that the semis were similarly slowed down, so I only got passed a few times total. I got passed by a big dodge ram turbo deisal ... pulling a 27' TT ... and I could almost keep up with him ... so I felt good about that. He clearly had me, but he was sucking wind also.

Towing a 4000+ lb load ... I think 9-10 would be considered good and 7-8 the worst case for bad conditions.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
12 mpg is the best I've ever done and 7.5 is the worst. Driving into a big wind sure can make a huge diffference.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
We tow a 7000# Arctic Fox travel trailer and the best we've ever done is 11. That was on mostly flat terrain, and I had the cruise set to 55 because there were cops all over the place that day.

The worst we've ever done is 5, and that was going REALLY fast across Wyoming, into a headwind, and trying to outrun tornados that were behind us. I do not care to go that fast again with the truck and trailer. I gassed up I think it was four times that day. Later we got a call from the company, inquiring on the charges, since all of those were full fill-ups of 20 or more gallons.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i tow a 19ft bass boat get about 10 to 11 mpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you mentioned cruise control ... I tried it in that strong wind I mentioned and it stunk to high heaven ... nothing but shift and more shift.

My wife broke out the manual ... and it states to "never use cruise control while towing" ... is this just a legal CYA ... or just a safety issue, or both?

Obviously its not for windy conditions. My RV dealer told me that he once lost 3 tires towing a TT across Wyoming ... so if your heading that way, bring a spare or three.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Towed a utility trailer with a 700lb motorcycle on it from Caro, Michigan to Tampa, Florida and lost track of the number of times I filled up. That bastard drinks fuel with any type of load behind it. One thing I did notice was the fact that it gets way better mileage running about 80 mph with the tach around 2000-2100rpm that it does at 65mph and about 1700rpms while towing anything. I'd say that I got at least 5mpg more at 80mph than 65mph.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As you can see, I tow a pretty big “house” (weighs about 7000#) and was getting about 8. I recently added a wing on a roof-rack and added about 1 mpg – definitely worth the effort since we are taking a 4000-mile trip to the East Coast in a few weeks and with the current price, it will save about $150 in gas.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just out of curiosity because I am uneducated on the issue, but what would a 3/4 ton diesel get with the same loads everyone above has posted?

RxZ (wonders)

·
Registered
45 Posts
RxZ said:
Just out of curiosity because I am uneducated on the issue, but what would a 3/4 ton diesel get with the same loads everyone above has posted?

RxZ (wonders)
I have a buddy that use to hotshot and he would constantly get at least 15mpg and without a trailer get about 19-20 mpg. He drives a Dodge 2500.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okie, thanks for the heads up. i thought i was going to get better mileage then my 99 suburban w/ 5.7 as the titan was lighter and newer, but i guess i get about the same. :huh:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Go easy on the gas getting the trailer up to speed. I see a huge diff when towing my 4500lb boat if I'm easy on the gas - under 2k rpms then if I'm given'er up to 3-3.5k rpms getting off the line. 9 vs. 12 mpg

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
RxZ said:

RxZ (wonders)
We came from a Dodge 3500 dually 4x4, and it got 17 unloaded, and 15 when towing at 60 MPH over the same terrain where the Titan delivers 10 at the same speed. This is an apples-to-apples comparison since all that changed was the tow vehicle, not the driver nor the terrain.

This truck was a stickshift, 4:13 axles, pretty heavily modded including a Banks system and VanAAken box on it. You pretty much never knew that the wind was blowing when towing with that bad boy.

Hope that gives you the data point you were asking for.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts