Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
^^^^Yeah thanks! I am a complete newb at towing, but I was just wondering since alot of members here seem to tow so often, and yet own a vehicle that I personally wouldn't want to tow with all the time. I am sure that the Titan does a great job, but for those that pull these large travel trailors, it just seems like there may be better options out there.

Like I said, I am new to towing, so if I am overlooking anything, I am not adverse to an education ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, some of you are sure getting good mileage while towing. Either I am the only honest one here or I am doing something wrong!

This weekend pulling my Fk2100 (24 ft) Weekend Warrior Travel Trailer from Denver Colorado to Northern Nebraska I averaged 6.02 miles per gallon. This is over about 500 miles. There was some wind on the way up and nothing coming back. It was mostly on interstate and I was going about 70-75 most of the time. My weekend warrior is 4300 pounds dry, and I think it is more in the 5300-5500 pounds loaded once my dirt bike is in it and all the other stuff (I fill the 60 gallon water tank up when I arrive at destination to save the 500 pounds of weight). It is pretty wide and tall and not great at wind resistance.

I am towing in 4th gear with tow mode on. It goes to 3rd and 4000 rpms when going up good hills.

I went from Denver to Moab a few weekends ago and I averaged about the same, maybe a little less with a nasty head wind and snow storm.

So maybe I need to drive slower and start from the line slower to save some gas. I sure would like to be in the ranges you guys are talking about!

I would love to hear if anyone else has a toy hauler like mine and what type of mileage they are seeing. Not sure if the altitude I live and drive in makes any difference.

I will have to say that I am pretty impressed with how this Titan pulls a trailer. Besides the terrible gas mileage, it really does a great job towing this size of trailer. Even up some very steep and high mountain passes in Colorado. A diesel would have been best but I could not bring myself to buy am American Truck and drive a diesel around all the time.

I have a 04 SE CC with offroad and towing. I use the Equalizer hitch, which is incredible how stable the trailer tows.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anywhere between 12 and 7 depending on speed. 6k lbs flatbed with Jeep on it. 12mpg at about 50mph (found that out durning break in) and 7 at 80mph. Speed makes a HUGE difference for me. Won't catch me over 65mph.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wolf_Racer said:
Wow, some of you are sure getting good mileage while towing. Either I am the only honest one here or I am doing something wrong!
<SNIP>
... I was going about 70-75 most of the time.
I would say that you hit it right there.

Wolf_Racer said:
So maybe I need to drive slower and start from the line slower to save some gas. I sure would like to be in the ranges you guys are talking about!

I have a 04 SE CC with offroad and towing. I use the Equalizer hitch, which is incredible how stable the trailer tows.
You're right, just slow down a bit and your mileage will go up. This truck is a great towing machine, but you pay for speed in gas mileage.

Ours is an early '04. We have over 40,000 miles on the truck now, and I have a pretty good characterization with the trailer.

Here's my speed/mileage chart; the mileage corresponds to the speed:

50-55: 12-11
55-60: 11-10
60-65: 10-8
65+: 8-
75+: 5-

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree that speed is the single biggest factor.

From what I've read on rvnet, 65mpg is the maximum safe speed for RV towing, and obviously, 55-60 even safer. When these trailers get in accidents, it ain't pretty and there isn't much left. A big reason why nobody is allowed to ride in them during tow.

Personally, as mentioned earlier, I got nearly 10 mpg going West on I-76 from NE to Denver doing 60-65mph ... towing a similarly sized and weight HTT and I also found I didn't need the tow mode for those long gradual hills at all.

I suspect Tow Mode might eat up another 1-2mpg, esp. if you don't really need it.

So I'd try your next midwestern trip at 60-65 and turn off the tow mode and see how you do. If your shifting too much, then turn on the tow mode. If your in the mountains, obviously go with tow mode all the time.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
bunkers said:

From what I've read on rvnet, 65mpg is the maximum safe speed for RV towing, and obviously, 55-60 even safer. When these trailers get in accidents, it ain't pretty and there isn't much left. A big reason why nobody is allowed to ride in them during tow.
You're absolutely correct. The only reason I had gone faster than 70 was that we were outrunning tornados, and it was a calculated risk. The truck was in perfect shape, the trailer is (always) well-maintained, and we'd only be going that fast for a short while. Every time I stopped, I checked tire temperatures on the trailer to make sure we weren't stressing them too much.

Really, the Steamguy's advice is to be safe: If the rig has control problems at 65, slow down! The extra 15 minutes you'll spend on the road is better than getting in a wreck. So what if you get passed! You're TOWING a TRAILER! On the other hand, be considerate to people on 2-lane roads. If you see a backup behind you, pull over and let people by.

bunkers said:
Personally, as mentioned earlier, I got nearly 10 mpg going West on I-76 from NE to Denver doing 60-65mph ... towing a similarly sized and weight HTT and I also found I didn't need the tow mode for those long gradual hills at all.

I suspect Tow Mode might eat up another 1-2mpg, esp. if you don't really need it.

So I'd try your next midwestern trip at 60-65 and turn off the tow mode and see how you do. If your shifting too much, then turn on the tow mode. If your in the mountains, obviously go with tow mode all the time.
If it helps here: We have tried tow mode on and off. No difference for us in performance or fuel mileage for our particlular early '04. Maybe it was changed for later years, but I haven't seen anything here to support that assumption. Best advice is to always tow in 4 and manually shift the trans up and down if the engine is bogging too much.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
bunkers said:

I have read on this board that the tow mode is to increase your shift points when you're starting/accelerating from a stop but does nothing once you've reached speed. Keeping it in 4th is the best option if you're crusing with a heavy load.

·
Registered
559 Posts
@ around 9k lbs I get 8 on the flats and 5 in the hills. if I slowed down it would probably improve............

·
Registered
740 Posts
HighlandTitan said:
As you can see, I tow a pretty big “house” (weighs about 7000#) and was getting about 8. I recently added a wing on a roof-rack and added about 1 mpg – definitely worth the effort since we are taking a 4000-mile trip to the East Coast in a few weeks and with the current price, it will save about $150 in gas.
Is that a Jayco 29 BHS? Kinda looks like it. Just curious as I was looking at eh BHS but decided on the FBS

·
Registered
140 Posts
last trip back from havasu with headwind was a little over 8mpg. but also had to have truck aligned the other day had two and caster problem on left frt. seems good know, like milage has come up a little.

·
Registered
397 Posts
went from upstate new york to chester WV through the darn hills. We averaged 7 mpg. We where towing a 27ft inclosed trailer w/ car in it for about a totoal of 7500lbs. We were also going about 75 the whole time. I don't have BT so i have to go almost 80 to get the truck to shift so my RPM's go from 3000RPM's down too 2200 if i speed up then slow down a little after it shifts.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tow an OUTBACK 25' RSS weighing in at 6-7K lbs.
I tow in the flats/rolling plains at around 60-65 MPH.
I have an Equal-i-zer brand hitch and a Prodigy brake controller.

I tow in 4th with TOW/HAUL mode engaged. I usually get 7-10 MPG.
The two biggest factors for me are WINDS and SPEED. If there are crosswinds...MPG suffers drastically. And of course the faster I go, or the more I have to stop/start the lower the MPG. Crosswinds are the worst! In a headwind...I get much better mileage. (opposed to cross)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The key, I think, is to let 'er rip. I routinely pull over 8,000 pounds. By trial and error (and much depression :) ), I have found that running 75-80 is far better from a mpg standpoint (12-13) than 60-70 (8-10).:huh: :huh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Acouple weeks ago I was towing a 18" enclosed sled trailer with 3 atv's and gear(2000lbs). We were getting 8-8.5mpg. This trailer has the little 10" sled trailer tires. The last time we were pulling a 20' car trailer with 4 quads and got 9-10mpg. This was a heavier trailer with more weight. We usually run 70-75mph. I think those small tires were killing us.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I routinely get 9-13mpgs not towing anything - just driving around here in the winter. That is a comination of , idling, winter gas, and short trips. So, when i get between 8-10 pulling 8000lbs, I don't mind one bit. I have got up to 11.5mpgs pulling the trailer, but it was empty and I was going slower.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tow a 20' car trailer that has a tire rack and tool box. I also have the golf cart (650lbs.) in the bed, and the car weighs about 3,700 loaded with crap. I think all together I'm towin about 7k in weight.

I average about 9.5-10. I went from a Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel that got 12 on the highway (towing 12,000lbs with a 26' enclosed race trailer), to the titan which is towing less weight and getting worse gas mileage.

I'm kind of disappointed in the mileage. My buddy with his Hemi Durango gets about 12.5. I can't even go barely 200 miles on a tank.

I was trying to research this for a long time now. It was bothering me, but now that I see everybody is getting crappy mileage while towing, I don't feel so bad.

With the tires on the tire rack, I have to keep the truck in 4'th gear to keep the speed up (65-75). With the tires in the bed, or in the car, I can keep it in OD, yet it gets the same mileage.:huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going out to the Desert ( 130 miles ) I got 18 MPG w/o trailer. Coming back I had my trailer with me ( about 5000 Lbs ) and got 8.3 MPG :crying: 50% highway and the rest back roads. Not all that happy with this but you cant have everything.........can you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Towed the boat to Lake Ozark last week towing our 27' boat, 6000 lbs total. Had a head wind on the way down, got 9.1 MPG, and no wind on the way back, 10.2 MPG. Not too bad, lots of hills in that area.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just took out my toybox for the first time since getting my ProComp lift and tires. I didn't have the bikes, but all the rest (generator, food, water tank half full, BEER ;) ) probably a little over 4000 lbs total. It was mostly flat highway, but I did have to cross the Altamont pass at around 1300 feet. I managed just under 10 mpg accounting for the larger tires. I was very happy. My old Chevy towing the same trailer with stock tires only got 8.

-Chris

21 - 40 of 64 Posts