Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Well I've towed my camper with the lift now and averaging 65-70 I got about 7-8mpg. That's loaded at about 4k pounds and that was towing thru the Pocono mountains too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to these forums (looking to replace my Expedition with a Titan), and I was reading with interest, the mileage you all were getting while towing.
I didn't look at all of your trucks, but I would have to assume that those with 4 wheel drive are probably getting worse mileage than those with 2 wheel drive(?).
I assume this simple because of the additional weight.
My Expy is a 4 wheel drive, and my buddy has one that it isn't, and he gets about 3-5 mpg better than I do, towing similar weights.

Just on observation/question.
Love these forums and look forward to being a Titan owner soon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 06 SE KC and pull a Prowler 26H with a fiberglass exterior. Dry weight is 6300 lb and I have a 1000/10000 equilizer hitch. I live at 5,200 feet elavation in Montana and pull to a 6,500 foot camping spot about 40 miles away. Last weekend I was caught in a nasty crosswind of 35 mph and really struggled to prevent a trip off the shoulder (but I made it fine). I got about 9.0 mpg going 50 mph. On the return trip I nervously crawled back at 45-50 mph and got 12.7 mpg.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just averaged about 13mpg towing a 4500lb boat @ 75mph, almost all highway driving, then about 50 miles of stop and go getting in the Keys.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Titan_SE said:
I just averaged about 13mpg towing a 4500lb boat @ 75mph, almost all highway driving, then about 50 miles of stop and go getting in the Keys.
Wow! It just goes to show what a difference towing in the mountains and in the flat lands makes. Even before my lift I couldn't get any better than 11mpg towing about the same weight up here in upstate NY. :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
13 mpg towing a 19 ft Sea Ray boat. About 3500 lbs. Average speed about 70 mph at about 1800 rpms. 900 total miles on the trip to Table Rock Lake in Missouri.

·
Registered
256 Posts
After observing my truck towing an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer with a 3500lb gross weight, it looks like I have been getting between 6.5-7.5 MPG on my last 3 trips. :( This is on a 2 lane road with no stoplights. Tried to see if I would get better gas mileage driving 55 versus my usual 62-65, but it doesn't make much of a difference according to my ScanGauge.

Those light duty diesels coming up in the near future are starting to look real attractive.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I tow a Pop-Up Tent trailer, with my XR650R in the bed, the trailer weighs about 2800-2900 loaded.
I just made a run back from Mojave a couple of weeks ago, I took my time, set the C.Control at 62-63 mph...Towed in 5th most of the time on flat ground, and downshifted to 4th for the hills(no CC on the hills) I've never towed for so long so slow!...

Got home, filled her up, double checked...15.2 mpg! I have a hard time getting that during the week.
I usually get about 12-13 mpg towing the same set-up, but I lose my patience with traffic and now it's 70-75 mph...

Has to be the tow speed...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
160,739 Posts
About 9.8 mpg towing a 27 foot TT at about 5800 pounds. It was the maiden tow, running in fourth and on hilly terrain. Keeping it around 50 to occasionally 55 being within that 500 mile first tow break in. Trans temp gauge never budged once it warmed up. It'd pull up the hills with no worries, but it's a thirsty little bugger going up hill! lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my Titan and sold my 2000 Frontier because it would only get 12 mpg towing 2500 lbs. I figured I would get at least that much and have some power also with the Titan. I'm a lttle bummed by all of your reported milages. Has anyone improved the milage with a cold air and exhaust addition. I would like to do those mods but if all I get is a little more power and no milage is it worth it?

·
Super Moderator
160,739 Posts
Garystrk said:
I just got my Titan and sold my 2000 Frontier because it would only get 12 mpg towing 2500 lbs. I figured I would get at least that much and have some power also with the Titan. I'm a lttle bummed by all of your reported milages. Has anyone improved the milage with a cold air and exhaust addition. I would like to do those mods but if all I get is a little more power and no milage is it worth it?
2500 lbs is light for the Titan, so you may very well be able to get more. With that light a trailer, if you're on flat terrain, you might be able to go to 5th as long as your tranny temp gauge doesn't start to creep up. You'd certainly get better than I did if you could be in 5th. Don't be discouraged yet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the truck because I plan on pulling a car hauler flatbed with my 55 ford on it. I bought for the power so I guess I can't *****. I really liked my Frontier but it just worked it *** off when towing anything and the truck and trailer would push it all over if I didn't have the brakes on the trailer set right on the controller. The new Frontiers I bet would have been nice but they are still little. So far I just love the Titan. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
160,739 Posts
Garystrk said:
I bought the truck because I plan on pulling a car hauler flatbed with my 55 ford on it. I bought for the power so I guess I can't *****. I really liked my Frontier but it just worked it *** off when towing anything and the truck and trailer would push it all over if I didn't have the brakes on the trailer set right on the controller. The new Frontiers I bet would have been nice but they are still little. So far I just love the Titan. Thanks
lol Absolutely the Titan has the power to pull it, and pull it well. I too bought mine for the power to pull that 27 foot TT. I understood what I was buying, but knew that to pull that trailer, I'd have to give something up. Mileage was the sacrifice. On the flip side, I've also got a truck that will burn 0 to 60 times at around 7 seconds. That doesn't suck! :upsidedow I love my truck! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been averaging about 10MPG while towing a 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous Hyperlite. The average weight is about 6300lbs.

Best tank has been 11MPG, worst 5.01MPG in the hills of Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
160,739 Posts
5 MPG? Ouch! I hope I never have to see anything that low! "Hills" of Colorado? Those hills are some pretty dang big ones if you're talking about the one's they call the Rockies. :D

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If you read my post, you would see towing my 2800-2900 lb trailer and keeping the speed down(62-63 mph) on flat ground got me 15 mpg.

I did tow in 5th, and at that speed and load it had no trouble staying in 5th and the converter also stayed locked. I did hit some hills, but I always manually shift down to 4th gear before the truck struggles.
The same route(which I've driven many times before with the same trailer & load) at 70-75 mph the milage drops to about 13 mpg.

My trailer is lower then the cab of the truck, which I'm sure helps the milage also.
See the above post w/thumbnail attached.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Garystrk said:
I got 12.5 mpg hauling a 1994 Ford Ranger to San Luis Obispo on a 1700 pound car hauler. Titan had 3 people on board and the Ranger was packed full in the cab and under the hard lid. Total trailer wieght loaded must have been around 4500 pounds.

Coming home empty, at 65-70mph, I got 15.5. Hauling a smaller load out to Arizona, (3100 pounds) I got 14.5 running 65mph.

Any way you slice it, I am doing better than I did with a Chevy 2500 with the same loads on the same roads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wolf_Racer said:
Wow, some of you are sure getting good mileage while towing. Either I am the only honest one here or I am doing something wrong!

This weekend pulling my Fk2100 (24 ft) Weekend Warrior Travel Trailer from Denver Colorado to Northern Nebraska I averaged 6.02 miles per gallon. This is over about 500 miles. There was some wind on the way up and nothing coming back. It was mostly on interstate and I was going about 70-75 most of the time. My weekend warrior is 4300 pounds dry, and I think it is more in the 5300-5500 pounds loaded once my dirt bike is in it and all the other stuff (I fill the 60 gallon water tank up when I arrive at destination to save the 500 pounds of weight). It is pretty wide and tall and not great at wind resistance.

I am towing in 4th gear with tow mode on. It goes to 3rd and 4000 rpms when going up good hills.

I went from Denver to Moab a few weekends ago and I averaged about the same, maybe a little less with a nasty head wind and snow storm.

So maybe I need to drive slower and start from the line slower to save some gas. I sure would like to be in the ranges you guys are talking about!

I would love to hear if anyone else has a toy hauler like mine and what type of mileage they are seeing. Not sure if the altitude I live and drive in makes any difference.

I will have to say that I am pretty impressed with how this Titan pulls a trailer. Besides the terrible gas mileage, it really does a great job towing this size of trailer. Even up some very steep and high mountain passes in Colorado. A diesel would have been best but I could not bring myself to buy am American Truck and drive a diesel around all the time.

I have a 04 SE CC with offroad and towing. I use the Equalizer hitch, which is incredible how stable the trailer tows.
I just towed my 2007 Weekend Warrior FS2500 from British Columbia to Moab and back (about 2,000 miles) and got between 8-9 mpg mostly in 4th with tow mode on. Normally, I get 16-17 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Western Colorado and every place I go it over a Mtn. Pass. To dirive from Grand Junction to Denver I have to go over two 11000 ft passes. So the power is important to me. Even though if I was to get only 5-6-7 MPG I would be sick, crap tractor trailer rigs get that kind of milage.

Lets just hope the winds at our backs and every place we go is down hill until we die and it's all uphill from there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I towed my rig to Tucson for the holiday weekend. Ford Bronco on a 20' trailer, just under 9000 lbs. Normally this is less than a 2 hour trip. Last time I got 10 mpg, this time the trip took 3 hours and I got 8.3 mpg. Traffic sucked and I was consistantly getting up to 70 mph, only to drop back to 20 mph because of dumb people and cars from Sonora.

Hopefully I'll be leaving early enough in the morning to avoid some of the traffic.

Mitch

41 - 60 of 64 Posts