Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a towing question for you... there are a lot of guys with a lot of experience on this site and I am hoping to take advantage of them..

my wife and I have been shopping for a camping trailer for several months now... I really like several of the tt's but she really fell in love with a rockwood fifth wheel trailer... the other thing we are hoping to be able to do is to take our four wheelers with us... we have looked at toy haulers and I just dont like the interiors, they feel boxey to me...

so I am asking for opinions on three different setups and which one you think would work the best... also if you have any experience with these trailers that would be great..

.. I have and 06 Titan XE crew cab with the towing package...

option #1 is a Rockwood 24 foot fifth wheel trailer, total dry weight is 5872 pounds with a hitch weight of 1020 pounds... In this option I would have to tow double by putting my 8 foot four wheeler trailer on the back for a total weigh of 6872 pounds plus gear, estimated weight 7600 pounds...

option #2 is a rockwood 26 foot travel trailer... total dry weight is 4269 pounds.. again I would be pulling double with my four wheelers on the back of the trailer... total estimated weight would be about 6069 pounds...

option #3 is a 21 foot travel star tt, total dry weight is 4645 pounds... but it has a double four wheeler rack on the front that means I dont have to double pull... total weight would be about 6400 pounds..

please give me any opinions on which setup would be the best in your opinion?? are any of the two big or is pulling double a bad idea ... I definately like the rockwoods better but I want to be safe and not destroy my truck... and help is greatly appreciated... thanks AJ

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would not pull double, you need to check your state law for the total length requirements. Remember the 5th wheel is possible with the C/C but you will not be able to turn a full 90 degrees. You will have some limitations with a 5th wheel and C/C. If it where me, I would buy a Toy hauler,That way you can haul your wheelers and have a place to sleep. Good luck with what you decide.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm confused. Are all 3 options a fifth wheel or just the first one? If you pull doubles, the lead trailer must be a 5th wheel or gooseneck. Pulling 2 ball mount trailers is a recipe for disaster. Don't forget that the sliding 5th wheel hitch you need for a crew cab is almost $3000.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm not confused...

Towing doubles even if legal in your state isn't so easy...Most RV trailers aren't rated to tow another trailer behind it.

Fifth wheel trailers including those mentioned usually have too much pin weight. The numbers you quoted are first of all the manufactures advertised weights, which are for a stripped trailer without ANY options and second is that when loaded they will be more. If the manufacture states the pin/hitch weight to be say 1000 lbs, you need to add 200-300 lbs to that. Two propane tanks, the propane in them, a couple of batteries, etc,etc...AND this goes for trailer empty weight.

Why would you use the empty weight to determine if you can tow that trailer, when you will add another 300 lbs in options( A/C, oven, outside shower. awning, etc, etc...)
You should in most cases use the trailers GVWR, that is what it's max rated weight including everything...

Let's get back to your situation...With nearly 1200-1300 lbs of REAL pin weight, that puts you within just a couple hundred pounds of the trucks max payload rating. Don't you want to bring some stuff with you?

Toyhaulers( I know you wife doesn't want one) are very heavy, and the tongue weights are also. Most 1/2 ton trucks are marginal for anything but a lightweight TH no bigger then say 23 ft.

The Starcraft would be a much better setup for you stated needs and would match the tow capibilities of the Titan very well. I could have said this in the begining of my post, but I wanted to share the above info with you...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would look at the GVWR for the camp trailer first instead of the empty weight, That way you figure on the high side of the weight, and you more than likely will never exceed it.

Add the weight of the 4 wheelers and their trailer to that number instead, that way you would probably always be on the safe side of the weights.

As was already stated, make sure it is legal to pull double in your state, and check the max length allowed also.

I personally do not have issues pulling double, but i would reccomend the hitch on your camper not be mounted to the rear bumper, i had a buddy make a custom reciever that mounts to the frame. Do not trust the rear bumper for much weight.

hook them both up and have fun towing! And even more fun backing up!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasnt considering this until I saw this website a few months ago and saw that a lot of other guys are pulling much more than this...

it is legal to pull double in Utah and I am within my length limit also...

the trailers dryweight is 5800 pounds, the gvwr is 8000 pounds... the trailer is 500 pounds and the wheelers way a combined 1100 pounds that would be a total of 9600 pounds combined... I have figured that the real weight of the trailer will be about 6600 pounds with my gear (800 pounds) and then add another 1600 pounds for the trailer and 2 four wheeler for a total of 7200 pounds, I would definately be weight conscious with my gear...

I am still working it out, but assuming I dont want a toyhauler (which is not out of the question yet), am I too heavy or could I really pull this??

·
Registered
781 Posts
i honestly want to know how big of a difference the big tow pkg makes a dffeence if i could do 9000#'s with a class iv hitch no problem? is there any difference is leafs? because gearing cant make too much different it doesn't in silverado's

·
Registered
17 Posts
First off any true hauler of heavy weight knows gearing make one hell of a difference. Example, the differance between 3.52 and 3.73 in a chev is night and day. Second is don't worry about pulling the weight worry about stopping it in an emergency.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bassin Bob said:
First off any true hauler of heavy weight knows gearing make one hell of a difference. Example, the differance between 3.52 and 3.73 in a chev is night and day. Second is don't worry about pulling the weight worry about stopping it in an emergency.

Bob
ok I am not sure what your post meant exactly... does that mean I should change my gears or put in a brake controller/??

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
ok I am not sure what your post meant exactly... does that mean I should change my gears or put in a brake controller/??
Can't change your gears, but you do need a brake controller!
May I suggest the Prodigy controller...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look up your gross weight max on the sticker near the drivers door. That will tell you what your max weight can be. Then go either to your trucks owners manual or to nissanusa.com and get the towing guide. It is very comprehensive and helpful. Follow what they say. They'll tell you to use a WD hitch if your trailer weight is over 5000 lbs. Max combined weight is about 14000 lbs. Including everything. Figure loaded weights. Passangers and gear + loaded trailer weight + tongue weight + what ever else you plan to haul. My WD hitch is about 130 lbs alone and must be included in the total payload. It all mounts up.I personally would leave a 25% margin just to be safe. With our set up I have a 50% margin and towing is very easy. I'd suggest going to rv.net and posting your info, lots of experienced people there and they will give you realistic advice.

Good luck.

P.S. that same guide gives details of the differences between Titans with the tow package and not.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Can I hang out and watch you back-up? :upsidedow

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok I am leaning to the 21 foot travel star... it is like a toy hauler but the four wheeler rack is on the front, so no double pulling... the weight on it is about 4200 pounds, plus wheelers = 5400 pounds plus gear and water and generator= about 6400 pounds plus the wife = about 6500 pounds (she is small)... anyone see any issues with this????

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
ok I am leaning to the 21 foot travel star... it is like a toy hauler but the four wheeler rack is on the front, so no double pulling... the weight on it is about 4200 pounds, plus wheelers = 5400 pounds plus gear and water and generator= about 6400 pounds plus the wife = about 6500 pounds (she is small)... anyone see any issues with this????
I think it's a very viable option. I have a P/U trailer now and am looking to upgrade to something similar. They also make the 21SSD which has a full sized slide out that really gives the trailer much more room.

http://www.travelstarrv.com/floorplan.html?21SSD&21SSD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
loufish said:
I think it's a very viable option. I have a P/U trailer now and am looking to upgrade to something similar. They also make the 21SSD which has a full sized slide out that really gives the trailer much more room.

that's exactly the model I am looking at... here comes camping this summer!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that is a very smart move. In my previous post I was trying to point out that most of the time everyone is more concerned with what the tow vehicle will pull rather than if the tow vehicle can safely stop it. We all know the Titan can haul a lot of weight. But try to stop 9,000 pounds in an emergency and you might be surprised. Not that it can't be done but most people forget that part until the time comes.

Just my opinion

Bob

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well said Bob. Another thing to add to that is emergency manuvers. How comfortable would you be if you had to make a sudden lane change on the highway?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok I think I have made a final decision, want a few opinions... I am looking at a rockwood fifth wheel trailer... dry weight is 6100 pounds, GVWR is 8100 south I should go well under that.. I am guessing with my gear I will be around 7400 pounds... four wheelers will go on another vehicle... anyone see any issues???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I do have a lot of experiance hauling 5th wheel trailers. All with a Chev 2500hd duramax. You will find out how fast you can add weight in those things. One more thing to be careful of is cross winds. They can cause you to shift lanes in a heart beat. I good hitch is a must. Watch the weight and be careful. Oh, I almost forgot. Get rid of those stock tires and go for some good "E" rated tires. If you blow a tire out that rig will be hell to control at 65mph

Good Luck

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts