Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas. First post & appreciate the help already received. My Titan is a 04 XE 4x4 w/Off Road package. I'm currently running tires that have a 117 Load Rating (2833#). When I went w/the Titan, I was tired of replacing window and lock motors on F150's. At that time, I was only trailering ATV's on a small utility trailer.

My family decieded they would like to try camping if done with a TT. I've found a used 27' unit that has a 7800# GVWR with a WD hitch. I have a Class IV hitch and a Prodigy brake controller (thanks for the recommendation and wiring instructions). The question is pretty simple: I sthis too much trailer for short trips?

Two other quick questions: With a setup like this, do you have to stop at weigh stations? Last question: Why are the dealers so lacking in knowledge on these trucks? The local guy says that the Nissan hitch advertized as Class IV on this site is really only a Class III. He gives a different P/#, at about 2X the price for a Class IV. Also, when I tell them I've got the lower gears with the Off Road package, he tells me its not just the gear ratio. He says that the entire rear differential in the XE is a lighter duty unit. I thought they were all Dana 44's, with the BT having the same ratio as the OR package. What gives?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome.

Here's my 2 cents. That's a pretty comfortable size. We have been using a 19' trailer for the past 10 years. A bit small, in my opinion. I sold it last year, and I want a 23'.

You don't have to stop at weigh stations with an RV. They are only for commercial vehicles.

You have a class IV hitch receiver.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-manual/pdf/2004NissanTowingGuide.pdf
Just make sure you use a Class IV weight distributing hitch.

The rear differential is the same in all Titans, except for the gearing, and you already have the lower gears with the off road. The only thing you might consider before you tow is, you might want to change the rear diff fluid to a synthetic. This was standard in later models.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I wanted to make a bad joke, but lots of people like something called Royal Purple.

·
Registered
386 Posts
turk said:
Thanks for the response and the link. What synthetic lube do folks use?
I use the Amsoil severe gear 75w-140 and am really happy with it. I also put on a Mag-Hytech diff cover which reduces rear temps and added 2 more qts of oil. You can pick one up at a performance shop for about $230. Very easy to install. I have towed up to 8100# trailer w/ no problems. I now have a 28' 5er and the Titan does very well. You will hardley know that trailer you got will even be there. Also there are no classes of WD hitches (i.e. class III,IV, etc.). They are calssified if you will by tounge wieght. 800, 1000 pounds etc. Just make sure you have the right spring bars. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
turk said:
Thanks for the response and the link. What synthetic lube do folks use?
KY warming jelly!!!!!:ftard::rofl:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got an equalizer WD hitch off craigslist for half price. It really improves the ride and eliminates the sway, even in crosswinds with Semis passing.

I think that the trailer you got should be just fine for the Titan. Don't expect to do 70mph with it ... just comfortably do 55-60 and you'll get the best mileage and its a lot safer.

If you you go faster or drive into a 20-30mph headwind, expect about 7mpg.

If you don't have major wind and keep it at 55-60, you'll get 10-12mpg, even in the mountains. In fact, I swear I getter milage in the mountains of Colorado, because on the way back ... it's all downhill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts