Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have a new silver Titian XE CC with perfered package, offroad package, bed liner, and mud flaps. Love the truck, but I have a question, why does the published literature and the owners manual state that the XE is rated for less towing than the SE/LE. As I have the off road package I have the lower ratio rear end of the big tow and I didn't see any spec differences that would allow for this. My dealer, while good guys, obvously has no idea why. Thanks for your replys.

·
Registered
739 Posts
vgodley1 said:
Hello All, I have a new silver Titian XE CC with perfered package, offroad package, bed liner, and mud flaps. Love the truck, but I have a question, why does the published literature and the owners manual state that the XE is rated for less towing than the SE/LE. As I have the off road package I have the lower ratio rear end of the big tow and I didn't see any spec differences that would allow for this. My dealer, while good guys, obvously has no idea why. Thanks for your replys.
Thats a tough one! In Canada it was much lower mostly because the XE isn't available with the lower rear-end gear ratio. But that isn't the case in the states. The only thing I can see is the VDC, but that might not be it. I am sure somebody here knows!
:huh:

·
Registered
183 Posts
OK, pure speculation here, but since the XE is not available with the Big Tow Package, the cooling/trans. cooling system may be different (i.e. smaller radiator or there's no trans. oil cooling mechanism). The Big Tow package does not come with a trans. cooler, but I'm sure I read that there is a trans. cooler on some of the trucks.

So, is it possible that the SE/LE come's standard with a trans cooler. and the XE does not? That would explain that the base XE has a lower tow rating than the base SE/LE, regardless of whether or not the truck is outfitted with the Offroad Pkg.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You cannot get the big tow with the XE, and the Big Tow has a lower rear end ratio. Also, the XE has lighter-duty springs in the rear, which may also affect towing capacity.

I think the cooling systems for the motor and trans. are the same with and w/o the big tow package.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farmer Fred said:
You cannot get the big tow with the XE, and the Big Tow has a lower rear end ratio. Also, the XE has lighter-duty springs in the rear, which may also affect towing capacity.

I think the cooling systems for the motor and trans. are the same with and w/o the big tow package.
I was comparing base truck to base truck, based on published ratings. Were did you find that the XE had lighter-duty springs? and do you know if they change the springs with the off-road package, I crawled under both trucks and they use the same things from what I viewed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe it's just the tires? I looked at the Nissan website and that's the only difference I could see between the XE and SE/LE that would explain the difference in towing capacities between the different models w/o the Big Tow package.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
This question is sorta a stumper. As your truck is basically equiped the same as my SE but I have the Big Tow...but the description of that pkg contents doesn't make me think there would be a difference, I wouldn't think it would be too much different. We have heard on the board here that the 'bed' of the truck is different in some regard but I can't see how that would affect the frame and towing capacity at all.

I think maybe a call to the 1-800-Nissan number might help you get an answer. If you do get one, let us know the verdict!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts