Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at just over 50,000 miles, the dealer tells me my differential is shot, and they are going to replace the rear axle for the 3rd time. I have the 7/100K warranty, so it's covered, but the service guy said if it wasn't covered, it would be $3500.

My boat weighs about 8,200 pounds, give or take some fuel weight. When I do tow, it's all day (11 hours or so) through the desert heat of 110+ degrees almost the whole way. (From San Diego to Lake Powell in Utah). They tell me the diff, even with the finned cover and synthetic fluid, is getting too hot. Shouldn't it be designed to handle this kind of towing without any issues?

If I didn't have the warranty, it wouldn't make sense to keep the truck, with over $10K in repair costs so far! Anyone else out these with this bad of luck with their differentials?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Vey nice boat.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very nice boat indeed.

I am not sure I would use any 1/2 ton pickup to tow that much, that far, in that kind of heat. People that I know who tow that much weight under extreme conditions tend to use at least a 3/4 ton pickup and most even use a 1-ton with a fifth wheel. I am just not sure the rear end of any 1/2 ton would be able to handle that much stress/heat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - it's a fun toy, but twice this summer while wakeboarding, we used 100 gallons of gas in just 1 day - and the gas was $4.38 at the marina. All guests now pitch in or start swimming!

·
Registered
662 Posts
It should be able to handle it. I tow my TT (7000lbs) in the mountains and so far (knock on wood) I've had no problems. The longest I've towed is about 3 hours. Sorry you have had so many problems. Atleast you got the 7/100 warranty so you're not out any money yet. Oh yeah, nice boat.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
DaveS, do you have the Big Tow Diff ?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
A lot of the earlier Titans equiped with the rear locker have had rearend trouble.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have the Big Tow. My 2004 SE 4x4 came with the original steel diff cover, which I cooked all the paint off of during my first tow. The dealer noticed it during an oil change (at about 5K miles) and offered to replace it with the finned cover and re-fill with synthetic, so they did. My axle replacements were at roughly 12K, 26K, and 38K miles each. I knew they were going bad, as the diff makes a high-pitched whine that just gets worse.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like you are one who could truly benefit from a Truetrac. Presumably they stand up much better to higher temperatures than the stock diff.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Mine failed at 12k miles and in my case heat was not an issue. Mine failed because the spider gears are brittle. DSC00756_edited.JPG

DSC00757_edited.JPG

DSC00758_edited.JPG

DSC00759_edited.JPG

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
DaveS said:
Well, at just over 50,000 miles, the dealer tells me my differential is shot, and they are going to replace the rear axle for the 3rd time. I have the 7/100K warranty, so it's covered, but the service guy said if it wasn't covered, it would be $3500.

My boat weighs about 8,200 pounds, give or take some fuel weight. When I do tow, it's all day (11 hours or so) through the desert heat of 110+ degrees almost the whole way. (From San Diego to Lake Powell in Utah). They tell me the diff, even with the finned cover and synthetic fluid, is getting too hot. Shouldn't it be designed to handle this kind of towing without any issues?

If I didn't have the warranty, it wouldn't make sense to keep the truck, with over $10K in repair costs so far! Anyone else out these with this bad of luck with their differentials?
I'll bet your towing has nothing to do with the diffs failing. Most who've had diffs fail , even multiple failures, tow nothing. You have the tow package and the newer diff witrh the synthetic gear oil so....you should be able to tow that boat with no problems. I'm thinking it's some sort of frame alignment issue because the ones I've read about here, that had multiple failures, didn't tow anything.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I'll bet your towing has nothing to do with the diffs failing. Most who've had diffs fail , even multiple failures, tow nothing. You have the tow package and the newer diff witrh the synthetic gear oil so....you should be able to tow that boat with no problems. I'm thinking it's some sort of frame alignment issue because the ones I've read about here, that had multiple failures, didn't tow anything.
You are right. There is no common denominator. 4x2, 4x4, both have failures. With tow package, without tow package, it does not matter. The one common problem is the weak springs in Titan. The axle wrap problem is also a problem to our differentials. The power of these trucks cause the springs to bend so bad the pinion angle becomes a problem to both the differential and the driveshaft. If your truck has the clunk-clunk when you go from forward to reverse or if you hear that clunk when you take off from a stop sign or when you stop at a stop sign, you have axle wrap. You will have to get traction bars, helper springs or new aftermarket springs which are stiff enough to stop the axle wrap. It may be a combination of poor springs and poorly fabricated differentials. Nissan refused to honor my warranty after 4 new differentials. They said it must be my fault since other Titans are not having the same number of failures. This will be solved in court through the Magnussen act but it shows that Nissan has decided to lay the blame on the owners. My 04 has seen all the problems and besides the differential and brakes, has been , and still is, a great truck. Nissan corporate, can kiss my backside. I hope these Magnussen lawyers kick their backside.:popcorn:

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
TallTexan said:
You are right. There is no common denominator. 4x2, 4x4, both have failures. With tow package, without tow package, it does not matter. The one common problem is the weak springs in Titan. The axle wrap problem is also a problem to our differentials. The power of these trucks cause the springs to bend so bad the pinion angle becomes a problem to both the differential and the driveshaft. If your truck has the clunk-clunk when you go from forward to reverse or if you hear that clunk when you take off from a stop sign or when you stop at a stop sign, you have axle wrap. You will have to get traction bars, helper springs or new aftermarket springs which are stiff enough to stop the axle wrap. It may be a combination of poor springs and poorly fabricated differentials. Nissan refused to honor my warranty after 4 new differentials. They said it must be my fault since other Titans are not having the same number of failures. This will be solved in court through the Magnussen act but it shows that Nissan has decided to lay the blame on the owners. My 04 has seen all the problems and besides the differential and brakes, has been , and still is, a great truck. Nissan corporate, can kiss my backside. I hope these Magnussen lawyers kick their backside.:popcorn:

I agree 100%, that's why I added a set of Hellwig traction springs shortly after my Titan purchase. Limiting axle movement is the best thing you can do for any differential.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Are those sway bars?

No, they bolt on top of the existing rear springs. They run about $80 and do not lower the rear like the reverse mounted helper springs. The best solution is traction bars, but they cost over $200.

·
Registered
779 Posts
really nice boat!

I tow my Travel Trailer often and change my diff fluid often, no problems yet at 30,000 miles.

Just curious, how often or did you ever change your diff fluid?

·
Registered
792 Posts
The truck should be capable of towing your boat. I tow my car and an aluminum trailer and I have 29,000 on my Titan with one rear-end replaced already at 20K. The car and trailer combined weight is about 4500lbs. I only tow locally to about 5 car shows a year for a total of 500 to 600 miles each summer. I am starting to get a bit of slop in the ring and pinion and I am afraid that it will go again sometime soon. It would be nice if someone would come out with a Dana 60 axle with all the Nissan mounts and axle tube widths. I would replace mine in a heartbeat. Sorry about your troubles, but a lot of us are suffering the same aliments.:ugh: :mad:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Isn't the towing capacity for the Titan 9k? I believe that's correct, if so your in the towing capacity for the Titan.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
9,500 KC BT and 9,400 CC BT. I don't tow, and have the TT, hope that makes it all a mute point for mine. There is the ocassional drag race, but i really don't think that is such a strain as towing heavy loads up and down hills. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
DaveS said:

My boat weighs about 8,200 pounds, give or take some fuel weight. When I do tow, it's all day (11 hours or so) through the desert heat of 110+ degrees almost the whole way. (From San Diego to Lake Powell in Utah). They tell methe diff, even with the finned cover and synthetic fluid, is getting too hot. Shouldn't it be designed to handle this kind of towing without any issues?

Sorry about your bad luck!

Have you thought about putting on a new diff cover on with expanded gear oil capacity?

Stillen and PML make larger diff covers for the rear diff that hold almost 3/4 quart extra fluid. The PML cover has a port for a temperature sensor so you could put an sensor in and monitor your rear differential temp.

imo I think with a larger diff cover and high quality synthetic fluid you should be all right. I would put the pml on and add a temperature sensor and see what happens that way you will know if the heat portion of the problem can be taken care of :soap:

good luck

PML diff cover
http://www.yourcovers.com/dc_10756.shtml

Stillen diff cover
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIDIFF01&c=PE&year=2005&make=NISSAN&model=TITAN

1 - 20 of 80 Posts