Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to this whole thing, so dont give me too much crap. but will a 4X2 tow a boat out of the water, 24ft ski boat (no idea about weight), just as effectively as a 4X4? its a decently steep ramp, i just dont want to get my truck stuck down at the bottom and have to ask to be pulled out. thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
As long as eis no ice on the ramp you shoud be fine IMO. I have pulled my boat out of the water with a 4x2 many many times w/o a problem. Just start slow. Don't gun the gas when you are ready to pull it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With a pickup on a boat ramp, sometimes it helps to have a bit more weight over the rear wheels (like a couple of your buddies) if you get wheelspin. I never had trouble using 2wd towing my boats, but I was towing with a van or wagon.

·
Registered
801 Posts
4*4 is way better if its wet, got some weight, inclined pretty good like you said. You'll make it though, don't be afraid to smoke the tires on the way up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wiscdave said:
4*4 is way better if its wet, got some weight, inclined pretty good like you said. You'll make it though, don't be afraid to smoke the tires on the way up.
Uhhh... smoke the tires on the way up???? that would mean his tires are spinning... which is def. not good when pull up hill on a wet ramp... DO NOT SPIN the tires! You very well could end up with the boat dragging you into the water. I tow my boat out of slippy wet steap ramps with my 2 wheel drive every weekend. My boat weighs in at 5,500 pounds with the trailer. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you keep the tires from spinning and are set up properly with the right tongue weight. If you do start spinning hit the brakes until you get your traction back.

·
Registered
450 Posts
All the times that I have pulled my boat out of the water with my 4x2, I've only had one occasion where I wish I had bought a 4x4. It was couple weeks ago at Ventura Harbor (So Cal), not very steep of a grade (been to ramps much steeper), when getting the boat out of the water (boats is only 3000lbs), it took a little bit because of the algee, even barely tapping the gas slighty caused the wheels to slip. After the tires kicked all the algee back from the ground, I finally got traction and came out no problem. In the mean time I was like "dam I wish I got that 4x4 instead".

I don't think you'll ever need to be pulled out no matter how bad the conditions are (wet/steep). The only way I think you'll have problems is if your hauling a boat that's 15000lbs+ out of the water with the conditions I experinced. Hell, with a TITAN, you never know, it may even do that...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
from what I've read on here, if your going to be pulling a boat out of the water alot, invest in the true trac for better traction. until you can afford about $569 plus labor, apply your parking brake just a little to keep your wheels from spinning.

·
Registered
801 Posts
TruckinTitan said:
Uhhh... smoke the tires on the way up???? that would mean his tires are spinning... which is def. not good when pull up hill on a wet ramp... DO NOT SPIN the tires! You very well could end up with the boat dragging you into the water. I tow my boat out of slippy wet steap ramps with my 2 wheel drive every weekend. My boat weighs in at 5,500 pounds with the trailer. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you keep the tires from spinning and are set up properly with the right tongue weight. If you do start spinning hit the brakes until you get your traction back.
True, but if its wet and even the slightest gas pedal pressure spins them you better start drying that pavement by spinning the tires or your getting pulled up and :mad: laughed at etc..that the titan can't do it. 4*4 is the best way to go, your wondering everytime with a 4*2.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have never needed to put the truck in 4 wheel yet. So I doubt you will have any problems. The biggest obstacle is a wet ramp, especially if the ramp is smooth concrete. When I used my car to haul my boat (5000 lbs), I would get my guest to sit on the trunk if the tires started to spin and that always solved the problem. Put more weight on the passenger side if you need to use weight.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have been on all kind of ramps, steep, shallow, rock , broken up, muddied and algae covered and with my tru trac have never been stuck. I think it's the biggest shame that Nissan did not offer a limited slip on any of it's trucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Kansas where you only have lakes, you will be fine with a 2WD. Over here on the ocean, the ramps are very slippery at low tide and I have seen my fair share of 2WD's get stuck. At high tide, nobody has a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts