Nissan Titan Forum banner

Towing with a titan.

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  HudsonValleyTitan 
#1 ·
I am in the market too buy a titan. The truck is a 2011 model 2wd crew cab with the tow package and non big tow. My trailer has a GVWR rating of 7,500lbs loaded and a little over 5,000lbs dry. I also have a Reese weight distribution hitch for this trailer. Now my questions are mainly evolving around the hitch. I have read that the 2010+ models have a cheaper made hitch compared to the 04-09 models. Would I have anything too worry about with this trailer? I know the truck can pull the trailer safely but I don't want my hitch breaking on the highway either. Another thing is trailer brake wiring. How hard is this too do on the titans? I know on my current truck is plug and play install. This is something I neglected too check while looking but do these trucks have the 7 pin plug for my trailer hookup? Thanks everyone!

#3 ·
I don't know the answer to the big tow/no tow question, but wiring up the brake controller is a snap.

Big tow has lower gears in the rear end and usually has extendable mirrors. It should say big tow on the window sticker somewhere.
If you are going to tow that trailer you mentioned, you want big tow.

Mine is a towing champ and it came stock with the 7 pin.

#5 ·
Glad too hear the trailer brake plug is just as easy too hookup as it is with my current truck. As for the towing package i'll need too look at the window sticker again before making any assumptions. I do know it has the Premium Utility package equipped.

On the 2011 models, I don't think it was called Big Tow any longer. It comes with the Premium Utility Package, and will then tell you that it has the 3.36 lower gears.

Brake controller (as The Pope says) is a snap. Get a Prodigy, and then get the specific cable for that Prodigy. Has the Nissan connector on one end, and the Prodigy connector on the other. No muss, no fuss. You'll spend more time figuring out where you want it mounted than actually hooking it up and mounting it.
Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
On the 2011 models, I don't think it was called Big Tow any longer. It comes with the Premium Utility Package, and will then tell you that it has the 3.36 lower gears.

Brake controller (as The Pope says) is a snap. Get a Prodigy, and then get the specific cable for that Prodigy. Has the Nissan connector on one end, and the Prodigy connector on the other. No muss, no fuss. You'll spend more time figuring out where you want it mounted than actually hooking it up and mounting it.

#6 ·
i recently pulled my friend 1971 Nova about 50 miles one way and did it with so much ease. And i have a lift on my Titan rolling on 35 inch tires.....lol

#7 ·
mines non-BT and i tow about the same weight as OP stated. No problems with my equal-i-zer hitch.

#8 ·
Which model truck is it? If it's the SV, and you have the SV Value Truck Package, then you already have the hitch, 7 pin connector and pre wiring under the dash that you just have to snap together. The connector harness for the controller is in the glove box. if it's the S and it has the S Popular Package, then again, it will have the same items.

Also, the hitches are all the same. And even a non tow Titan will haul a 7500 LB trailer.

#18 ·
Quick question please...I am confused about the brake controller install. Mine has the tow package and came with the harness in the glove box ready to hook up. If I get the prodigy and the harness with the plug on each end, do I need that Nissan harness that came too? Nissan wants $100 to mount a brake controller but also mentioned somethng about relays which the tow package already has installed. Just trying to figure out if this is something simple I can do myself and save the $100 (and make my wife proud of me:)

Thanks!

#9 ·
As far as the hitch. I was the one with the hitch failure. I am towing a 8000lb trailer dry weight so you should be fine. If you dont feel comfortable with the new style hitch then go to a junk yard & buy a hitch & bumper from an 09 or older. On the 2010 & newer the bumper is mounted to the hitch so you will need the bumper brackets off the older truck.

#10 ·
nascarjody - I see you upgraded to a full ton, was the Titan not sufficient to tow your trailer?

#14 ·
Quality. His was cracking at the welds.

#17 ·
The hitches bolt up the same way but on 2010 & newer the bumper is attached to the hitch instead of the frame. So if you go with an older hitch then you will need the bumper brackets also.

#20 ·
Reactions: colochoclab
#22 ·
I like the idea of plug n play better than splicing wires. Thanks to everyone:)

#21 ·
HVT is correct and Carbeaux has a great suggestion. I installed mine Carbeaux's way and it took longer to get the tools out than it did to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.